Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Blockbuster new game pricing. You Like?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-02, 09:34 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blockbuster new game pricing. You Like?

May 13, 2002 - Blockbuster announced today that in addition to offering a wide variety of VHS and DVD movies for rental and purchase, the company would expand its games division to supply both more variety and a more focused software section.

The huge rental chain will begin the change by replacing the older wooden shelves that games are currently rented from with new metal ones that hold more titles. More importantly, though, the corporation plans to upstart a new 'rent-before-you-buy' strategy in which potential gamers can try out any software they are interested in purchasing, with a two per rental limit, for a monthly fee of $19.99. Then, if they decide to buy the games, they will receive a significant discount.

"We have a big business around videogames, but we've identified that we're not serving it as well as we could," said Nick Shepherd, the chain's chief concept officer, who notes that software accounts for 12% of Blockbuster revenues. The firm hopes to double that by the end of the year. "Buyer's remorse is very common in videogames and movies. If they find they don't like the game, or they get bored, they stop buying games."

Blockbuster's aggressive new strategy is sure to give major electronics and videogames retailers worries. We'll have more on the specifics of the company's plans in the not too distant future. Stay tuned.

hmmm,
What do you guys think about this?
Old 05-14-02, 09:49 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Depends on a few things:

1. How much is this "significant" discount?

2. If I decide to buy a game, do I get a brand new shrinkwrapped game? Or do I get the same copy of the game but with the original packaging and manual? Or do I just get the game disc and nothing else?

Back in the day, Netflix had a simliar service that they eventually dropped. If you rented a disc, and liked it, you could indicate that you wanted to keep it on their website. They would charge you the difference between the sales price and what you'd already paid for the rental, and then send you the box for your disc. I actually bought a couple titles this way before I got wise to the much better deals on the web.
Old 05-14-02, 10:33 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Groucho
Depends on a few things:

1. How much is this "significant" discount?

2. If I decide to buy a game, do I get a brand new shrinkwrapped game? Or do I get the same copy of the game but with the original packaging and manual? Or do I just get the game disc and nothing else?

Back in the day, Netflix had a simliar service that they eventually dropped. If you rented a disc, and liked it, you could indicate that you wanted to keep it on their website. They would charge you the difference between the sales price and what you'd already paid for the rental, and then send you the box for your disc. I actually bought a couple titles this way before I got wise to the much better deals on the web.
Those are all good points.
I would think that you would get a new game, shrinkwrapped. It would make more sense than them opening game after game and keeping track of the instructions, warantee card, etc.

I like the idea, but I distrust anything the BB does. I would have to read the fine print on this baby !
Old 05-14-02, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From Gamespot.com...

"Blockbuster has announced that will be expanding its retail section to include games, consoles, and accessories over the course of the next several months. In addition, the company will be offering a program where costumers can receive a $5 discount on either a used or brand new game if that customer had previously rented that same game. "

A $5 discount doesn't seem very generous to me.

Full article:

Blockbuster expands into retail

The rental chain will be expanding its retail section within the coming months.

Blockbuster has announced that will be expanding its retail section to include games, consoles, and accessories over the course of the next several months. In addition, the company will be offering a program where costumers can receive a $5 discount on either a used or brand new game if that customer had previously rented that same game.
"Blockbuster is currently the leading renter of video games and one of the nation's largest profit-producing companies in the interactive gaming market," executive vice president and chief concept officer for Blockbuster. "In conjunction with our enhanced retail proposition, and just in time for the busy summer months, we are also rolling out a wide array of programs designed specifically for renters."

By Giancarlo Varanini,
Old 05-14-02, 10:55 AM

Re: From Gamespot.com...

Originally posted by Absolute Zero
A $5 discount doesn't seem very generous to me.
Agreed, especially when Best Buy gives out $5 coupons out every month in EGM. I would consider a "significant" (Blockbuster's words) discount to be at least $20.

Last edited by Groucho; 05-14-02 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-14-02, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sounds to me like it's a $5 discount on the already low? price of the game. Take Maximo for instance. You rent it and decide you like it, instead of buying it for $10 you buy it for $5. That way you didn't waste money renting it. That's how I read it anyway.

~Scheherazade
Old 05-14-02, 12:58 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The $5 isn't meant to be a discount per se, it's meant to be a reimbursment for the rental. Basically, it amounts to a free trial. Instead of plopping down $50 and buying a game, or $5 to rent and then $50 if you want to buy it. You pay $5 to rent and $45 to buy a new copy (less for a used one). Sounds good to me as some games I like to try out first, and this way I could basically try it for 5 days free of charge if I decide to buy it, and just be out the $5 rental fee if I decide to pass on it.
Old 05-14-02, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Something I always remind myself of when any corporation is doing something "nice" for the "people" is that they wouldn't be doing it if it didn't mean more profits for them. With that in mind, I seriously doubt that I would be saving any money buying from them (I refuse to pay their $6 game rental fees as it is). Die, Blockbuster, die!
Old 05-14-02, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by joshhinkle
The $5 isn't meant to be a discount per se, it's meant to be a reimbursment for the rental.
Then they should call it that, and not use terms like "significant discount." IMHO.
Old 05-14-02, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hate the stickers they put on their games. I bought one of the $9.99 Maximo discs the other day. It sounds horrible. I don't know if it hurts my PS2, but it can't be good for it. I've never had to turn the volume up on a game just to drown out the sound of the disc spinning.
Old 05-14-02, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I can already a lot of angry gamers Honestly this is a good idea but I dont see it lasting. Seeing as how most Blockbusters dont even get a lot of the games that are released. And when they do half of them get stolen and never replaced, or "damaged" and never put back into inventory. I just hope this lasts longer than the summer.
Old 05-14-02, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts
Originally posted by cartman
Something I always remind myself of when any corporation is doing something "nice" for the "people" is that they wouldn't be doing it if it didn't mean more profits for them. With that in mind, I seriously doubt that I would be saving any money buying from them
good point, the profits is in people buying the games at blockbuster and not other stores. but you still could save money if the deal is good. Best Buy putting those coupons in the magazines saves consumers money while increasing their sales.