Search this Thread

Old 05-14-02, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nintendo drops wave bird price and moves up release date

here is the link story on ign

edited to add the text:

Bird Droppings
Nintendo cuts WaveBird price, standard controller, and bumps up release date.

May 14, 2002 - In an effort to make the WaveBird more appealing, Nintendo has announced it will be lowering the price to $34.95. Since this would match the price of its standard official GameCube controller, which currently retails for $34.95, it will also lower its price to $24.95. The price drop will be effictive immediately. In addition to this, the company will also be moving up the release date of the RF-capable controller from June 24 to June 10. And, who says Nintendo is only known for delaying products?

"Nintendo always strives to improve the players gaming experience," says Peter MacDougall, executive vice president of sales and marketing at Nintendo of America. "The WaveBird controller, with its new lower price point, exemplifies our commitment, allowing players to get comfortable and enjoy new freedom, while still being connected to the on-screen action."

Nintendo also divulged more details on WaveBird's performance today, indicating that with just two AA batteries it will provide more than 100 hours of battery life, a truly remarkable number. On a more downbeat note, Nintendo has also downgraded WaveBird's wireless threshold from its original 34 feet (10 meters) to 20 feet (6 meters). However, in light of its 100 hour battery life and ability to be used more than triple the distance of the current official wired GCN controller, we're not too disappointed.

With 16 RF channel frequencies and a competitive price, the wireless controller is well positioned to be a hit when it releases early next month, just in time for the anticipated releases of WWE WrestleMania X8 and Eternal Darkness.
Old 05-14-02, 10:23 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I wasn't going to get one of these due to the lack of rumble feature, but at that price (plus the low drain on batteries), I'm very tempted to make a Wavebird my fourth controller.
Old 05-14-02, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
I wasn't going to get one of these due to the lack of rumble feature, but at that price (plus the low drain on batteries), I'm very tempted to make a Wavebird my fourth controller.
i am picking it up. 24.95 is a good price and i need a 4th controller. does anyone know if there will be different colors available for the wave bird?
Old 05-14-02, 01:03 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll probably get one at that price. I don't really care about rumble and could use another first party controller as I just have 1 Nintendo and 1 Pelican G3 now.
Old 05-14-02, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm definitely getting one now.
Old 05-14-02, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

IGN made a typo and has updated their article. The new price of the Wavebird is $34.95 and the regular Gamecube controllers are now $24.95.
Old 05-14-02, 07:24 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Never mind.
Old 05-14-02, 09:15 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nevermind for me as well. $34.95 is too much for me.
Old 05-14-02, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

$10 more for a wireless controller? assuming it works well, i'd get it. i got a an extra 3 meter extension cable for my ps2 controller and that cost $10 by itself.
Old 05-14-02, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I got a bit excited to read about this for my hoped for GC purchase. then I scroll down and find the deal turns out to be a typo

at 34.95 i am not sure about this one.
Old 05-14-02, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts
34.95 is still a good price point for a first party wireless controller, esp. considering that past wireless controllers didn't work well and cost up to twice as much.