DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   A small word of warning if you plan on a price match at EB with Target's price on RE. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/204251-small-word-warning-if-you-plan-price-match-eb-targets-price-re.html)

cartman 05-01-02 03:48 PM

A small word of warning if you plan on a price match at EB with Target's price on RE.

I went to my EB today to get Resident Evil, planning to bring the receipt tomorrow and get the $39.88 price that Target has advertised, and for some reason I decided I should check and see that you can still do that... All I asked was if you still had 15 days to pricematch, and the manager said "If you're planning on matching Target's price, forget it, we won't match it". To make a long story short, she was claiming the following rules of price matching now:

1) competitor must have it in stock (always been this way which is why I was going to bring it back tomorrow for the PM).
2) if you purchase the game before the price match store has it, they won't price match it (her excuse to my reasoning behind #1).
3) if EB will "lose" money on the sale, they won't price match (stated nowhere in their policy).

So when she said "If you want it today, you're going to pay $50", I got the general manager's address, and she was trying fervantly to explain why she was acting the way she did... I went across the street to Toys R Us, and they price matched Target just fine.

Thought I'd give a warning in case you were planning on getting EB to PM Target's price and your EB manager was the same way.

Troy Stiffler 05-01-02 04:32 PM

Maybe it's just AZ and PA, but everyone I've ever delt with at EB are total *******s. It's on my very short list of stores and resteraunts that I will NOT go to. They're nothing but a bunch of bitter, middle aged gamers. They remind me of Jimmy Falon's "Computer Guy" character on SNL.

So, my advice is that if you're not a bitter, middle aged gamer yourself, go to Best Buy, Circut City (which is my favorite for really nice, friendly, knowledgable employees), or Wal Mart.

darkside 05-01-02 05:00 PM

EB would not price match for a friend of mine. He got his $5 back (they didn't want to give the cash back) and will get it at Target. They were total asses as usual. They used ever excuse including the we can't lose money excuse. I've stopped shopping there long ago. The extra $5-$10 they charge on every new game over places like Best Buy and Target combined with the idiots that work there make it a horrible buying experience. Target is getting my money.

BravesMG 05-01-02 05:17 PM

Out of semi-loyalty I'll throw in a good word for EB here. I purchase all of my games there (and they always pricematch without a problem) because of their trade in policy. Since I buy all of my games there, if I ever don't like one of them they always let me trade them back in for full value. I know it's supposed to be a one-time final sale once you trade it back in, but I've gone in 3-4 times trading in games based on only one purchase and they've never had a problem. Maybe it's just better people that work at the EB I usually visit (Plymouth Meeting Mall, PA).

DamingR 05-01-02 06:02 PM

Really easy solution:

Buy the game at EB on release day.

Buy the game at Target (or best buy) a day or two later.

Go directly to EB with game in shirkwrap and your receipt from step one.

Return game to EB at high price.

Keep your game.

I saved about $100 on GBA stuff doing this. They get pissed off, but I don't really care.

Ergyu 05-01-02 09:47 PM

If you have a target in your town, why even bother to get it at EB if they are overpriced and stuff. Do they get games earlier?

PhYbEr 05-01-02 10:08 PM

YEP, my Target had tons of em today, I just stopped by and picked one up for $39

BravesMG 05-01-02 11:55 PM

Originally posted by Ergyu
If you have a target in your town, why even bother to get it at EB if they are overpriced and stuff. Do they get games earlier?
Like I said earlier, EB generally price-matches the games for me anyway, as well as offering a trade-in policy should I not like the game. I'd even be willing to pay an extra 5-10 dollars knowing that if the game sucks I could get another one at no cost.

Mattalos 05-02-02 01:31 AM

Fry's has it for $39 also! That's where I got mine :)

Joshic 05-02-02 01:41 AM

Well my experiences with the EB in Champaign, IL have been nothing but good. Maybe it's because they know me since I go there so often. :)

For instance - about a year ago, I bought the Shadowblade joystick for PS2 from EB. Didn't purchase any kind of warranty or service plan for it. Then a few months ago the joystick's circle button breaks. I go to EB, ask them how the Shadowblade is selling (they say it's not doing well), and tell them mine broke too easily. They offer to take my old one (without box or packaging or anything), swap it with one of their current in-stock Shadowblades, and return the broken one back to the manufacturer as a defect. So I basically got a new Shadowblade for free. And the employees there are fairly knowledgeable, don't pressure me into buying anything, and are generally pretty nice people.

Scheherazade 05-02-02 01:51 AM

EB sucks, I'd rather pay more elsewhere. The people are just mean and holier than thou then get all nice when trying to sucker you into some silly bobble-headed doll, they will lie to sell systems and warranties (we get 70% of our PS2s back with defects so you need this warranty) and all sorts of other things that are just bad business practice.

I'd say it was just mine (which is defenitely the worst I've been to) but they're the same all over if even to a lesser extent. sorry if anyone here works there, but that has been my experience with them over the years. There's always an exception, but I haven't seen it yet.

~Scheherazade

Burnt Alive 05-02-02 03:44 AM

The EBs around here handle price matches like rebates.
You have to fill out a form and send it in to have the difference mailed to you!!

Needless to say, I no longer shop at EB.

JaxComet 05-02-02 07:50 AM

Re: A small word of warning if you plan on a price match at EB with Target's price on RE.

Originally posted by cartman

3) if EB will "lose" money on the sale, they won't price match (stated nowhere in their policy)

rotfl They probably pay $15 - $20 per unit.............

fab 05-02-02 11:28 AM

3) if EB will "lose" money on the sale, they won't price match (stated nowhere in their policy).
So does this mean that they will price match a HIGHER price but not a LOWER one? :)

--
fab

RudeBoie 05-02-02 02:56 PM

Rules 1 and 2 are normal everywhere, but not 3

belboz 05-02-02 05:36 PM

Re: Re: A small word of warning if you plan on a price match at EB with Target's price on RE.

Originally posted by JaxComet

rotfl They probably pay $15 - $20 per unit.............

Generally, for a new $50 game, it's closer to $20 to $25.

Goblincat 05-02-02 05:39 PM

Re: A small word of warning if you plan on a price match at EB with Target's price on RE.

Originally posted by cartman

I had the morons at my local Circuit City pull the same crap on me once. I got the store manager and he pretty much said the same thing. I called the regional manager, but he would never return my calls. I haven't been back since.