Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

final fantasy x = sort of interactive movie?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-02, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is FFX basically a movie? w/ me running around a little. i just got it and so far, it has been almost totally me watching people talk... i mean, it looks good, but is it all like this? i run a little bit to another FMV?

btw, i suck at blitzball...
Old 04-29-02, 09:11 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

You sound like Dave and Steve:

http://www.burlybear.com/shows/videogame/index.html

Click on the Final Fantasy X link.
Old 04-29-02, 09:17 PM
Banned

Most of the time spent in FFX will be spent fighting fiends. Take your time and try to figure out the best way to attack each fiend, and it will make your time spent more enjoyable. Also, study up on your Aeons and make sure you know their capabilities and type. The more time you spend looking into the detail of the game, the more you will enjoy it. Those who run through the game as fast as they can see it as "repeatative" and "like a movie" because they fail to look at the detail. Take your time, and it'll be a blast. Have fun.
Old 04-29-02, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Dave & Steve probably fiddled with the controller for an hour, then declared the game "the worst of the year". Ugh, right.

The game becomes much, much more interactive later. Hang with it. Plus, the story is the best in the series. IMO, it's even more satisfying than FFIV and FFVI.
Old 04-29-02, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Grimfarrow

Plus, the story is the best in the series. IMO, it's even more satisfying than FFIV and FFVI.
Mmm, I'm not feelin' that on my end.
Old 04-29-02, 09:55 PM

Originally posted by Aghama

Mmm, I'm not feelin' that on my end.
YMMV. But I like endings which aren't all happy & wonderful. The best FF moment for me is still the Opera scene though
Old 04-29-02, 10:48 PM

haha what idiots, it sounds like Dave and Steve based their opinions of the game from the horrid FF movie and that because FF is so popular they should hate it. The movie and the games are incomparable in terms of quality. There are plenty of battles and caves to explore, but the game is more linear than previous games. The reason it seems like there are more movies in it is because in previous games those are the story parts where you'd be sitting there pressing the "A" button scrolling through text, only now its presented in a movie format instead of you having to constantly press a button. If you've already gotten to blitzball your well into the game, but things really start to pick up after awhile. My suggestion is keep playing and see if you like it. If not, then you may like Dragon Warrior VII better.
Old 04-30-02, 01:23 AM

I partially agree with the interactive movie comment. At least that's what I thought my first few hours playing. In actuality, the game doesn't become a more traditional RPG until about roughly two thirds into the game when you get the airship. Which is fine with me. For a linear game I put roughly 80 hours into it. That's almost twice the amount of time I put into an average RPG.

However, if you're looking for a more old school/traditional RPG then Dragon Warrior 7 is decent. It's slow paced more then anything. I just had my first fight about 3 hours into it. However, if you're a DW purist it's feels perfect.

The Arc the Lad collection is pretty good too. The first game is short and linear. I just beat the first in about 10 hours but plays more like a strategy game. The battles resemble RTS games and the linear structure actually reminded me of Final Fantasy X. I'm about to start the 2nd game and from what I read it and part 3 are 40-50 hours each.
Old 04-30-02, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

haha, that clip was funny. i don't know who they are but they certainly are kinda goofy. "if you like this game, you are stupid."

let me say that i'm not unhappy w/ the game. i just found it more linear than past Final Fantasies... and i feel like i haven't really done anything yet. more like gone along for the ride.

i've been reading other reviews that say that (much) later in the game, there will be more side quests, etc that i can go thru.

how do i study the aeons? and right now, the advancing circles seem incomprehensible to me... did i mention that i suck at blitzball? no biggee; ff8 did the same thing to me w/ the card game and their junctions.
Old 04-30-02, 10:18 PM
Banned

Originally posted by young
haha, that clip was funny. i don't know who they are but they certainly are kinda goofy. "if you like this game, you are stupid."

let me say that i'm not unhappy w/ the game. i just found it more linear than past Final Fantasies... and i feel like i haven't really done anything yet. more like gone along for the ride.

i've been reading other reviews that say that (much) later in the game, there will be more side quests, etc that i can go thru.

how do i study the aeons? and right now, the advancing circles seem incomprehensible to me... did i mention that i suck at blitzball? no biggee; ff8 did the same thing to me w/ the card game and their junctions.
It is pretty linear til the end, and their are some side quest. By studying the aeons I mean (i'm gonna do this without giving everything away) see how they take damage from enemies and how their attacks work on enemies. You will eventually beable to use their strengths and weakness to your advantage. And I suck at Blitzball too
Old 05-05-02, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

well, i'm starting to get the hang of the game's subtleties. like the sphere thing and blitzball.

i still don't get the weapons and armor. how do i know if one is better than another? do they have different damage stats? i've sort of been going by their cost on which is better and their special abilities.

finally, i can't stand that bowing/arm gesture that everyone does!!! i'm so sick of it!
Old 05-05-02, 10:53 AM
Banned

Originally posted by young
well, i'm starting to get the hang of the game's subtleties. like the sphere thing and blitzball.

i still don't get the weapons and armor. how do i know if one is better than another? do they have different damage stats? i've sort of been going by their cost on which is better and their special abilities.

finally, i can't stand that bowing/arm gesture that everyone does!!! i'm so sick of it!
All the equipment is comprised of elements (go to the equipment section and it will tell you which each weapon contains). The elements work the same way they do for magic spells. So you don't wanna use a water weapon against a water friend. The same goes for armor. If you have silentward, it will protect the character from getting a silence attack against them. I go towards the ones that up my HP and MP usually. Also, autocure is a nice one.
Old 05-05-02, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

@ FFX

I have a friend who has palyed thru this game about 4 times already, and I tried playing it...but just couldn't get into it. FFIX was one of my favorite FFs of all time, FFX just dropped the ball IMHO.

I'm an "old school" FF fan. I like non linear(to a degree) games where I can explore. I like minigames that aren't underwater ball games.

I was totally unimpressed with FFX
Old 05-05-02, 04:07 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Thunderball

I'm an "old school" FF fan. I like non linear(to a degree) games where I can explore. I like minigames that aren't underwater ball games.

I was totally unimpressed with FFX
If you are an "old school" FF fan, you would enjoy FF5 and FF6, but FF9 is not old school. Maybe you just didn't give the game a chance.
Old 05-05-02, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ug,
I hate Dave and Steve. These are guys whose whole gimmick is saying every show, "We promise, we will review NHL Hitz next week." Ug again.

Anyways, they obviously could not have played much, considering ALL they had to say is about cutscenes. I have noticed a lot of their reviews fail to mmention the important bits about a game, instead they use shock value by trashing a game or kiss up to a company by praising it.

Remember though, "if you enjoy FFX, you are an idiot."
Old 05-05-02, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by joshd2012

If you are an "old school" FF fan, you would enjoy FF5 and FF6, but FF9 is not old school. Maybe you just didn't give the game a chance.
Imean the old school style. The deformed characters. Airships. Black Mages. Etc. Not the new ****
Old 05-05-02, 11:14 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Thunderball

Imean the old school style. The deformed characters. Airships. Black Mages. Etc. Not the new ****
You obviously don't know too much about the game then.
Old 05-05-02, 11:25 PM

We already had a discussion about this awhile back I think. Its back in the archives.