DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Suggest some good PC games (XP compatible) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/201211-suggest-some-good-pc-games-xp-compatible.html)

JaxComet 04-19-02 10:03 AM

Suggest some good PC games (XP compatible)
 
I just got a bought a new PC and need some game suggestions...

(Dell 8200 w/Pentium 4 processor at 1.8 GHz, 256MB RDRAM)

stingo 04-19-02 10:24 AM

I know that Everquest: Scars of Velious is listed on the compatibility list for XP (I'm upgrading to XP myself), but have not seen Everquest:Shadows of Luclin - which has higher memory requirements (512 MB). Having played EQ for about 2-3 years, I still enjoy it. Only thing is is that the game is a real time hog.

Liver&Onions 04-19-02 10:38 AM

I just picked up Diablo 2, and I love it. Not sure if it works with XP though.

Groucho 04-19-02 10:41 AM

If you are a fan of strategy games, then definitely check out Civilization 3 and Heroes of Might and Magic IV. Both are top-notch entries in established series.

stingo 04-19-02 10:48 AM

This link to Microsoft's website should take you to the compatibility listings - for whatever that's worth.

~~ PAL ~~ 04-19-02 11:25 AM

The vast majority of windows based games should be XP compatible; even a fair number of old DOS games are XP compatible. All games produced within the last 2-3 years should be XP compatible.

I second the Diablo II suggestion. It's a great game if that's the type of game you are interested. But it might be worthwhile to spend a few extra bucks to get the Lord of Destruction expansion pack as well. You get better graphics and 2 additional classes to play with. Plus, most people on Battle.net only play LOD games now instead of original D2 games.

PAL

Groucho 04-19-02 11:27 AM


Originally posted by ~~ PAL ~~
It's a great game if that's the type of game you are interested. But it might be worthwhile to spend a few extra bucks to get the Lord of Destruction expansion pack as well.
I second this. I believe the best deal can be found by buying the "Battle Chest" which includes both (plus the first game, I believe).

JaxComet 04-19-02 12:02 PM


Originally posted by ~~ PAL ~~
The vast majority of windows based games should be XP compatible; even a fair number of old DOS games are XP compatible. All games produced within the last 2-3 years should be XP compatible.

I second the Diablo II suggestion. It's a great game if that's the type of game you are interested. But it might be worthwhile to spend a few extra bucks to get the Lord of Destruction expansion pack as well. You get better graphics and 2 additional classes to play with. Plus, most people on Battle.net only play LOD games now instead of original D2 games.

PAL


I guess this answers my question. So as long as I stick to fairly recent games I should be okay XP wise.....

Absolute Zero 04-19-02 01:13 PM

Freedom Force
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault
Return to Castle Wolfenstein

Thrillhouse 04-19-02 01:31 PM

If your in to sports (baseball)- High Heat Baseball 2003
OtherwiseI highly reccomend Max Payne

JaxComet 04-19-02 01:47 PM


Originally posted by ReDsOx5048
If your in to sports (baseball)- High Heat Baseball 2003
OtherwiseI highly reccomend Max Payne


I really liked Max Payne. I have it on XBOX.........

Thrillhouse 04-19-02 01:56 PM


Originally posted by JaxComet



I really liked Max Payne. I have it on XBOX.........

Yeah it is sooo great! The only difference between the XBOX and PC version is that the PC has a create a level program. Oh yeah, and that sometimes people will release there pre-made levels. I think I would have rather played it with a controller though :D.

CCPrescott 04-19-02 08:14 PM

The aforementioned Medal of Honor: Allied Assault and Jedi Knight 2 Jedi Outcast are among my current favorites. I'd also recommend Command & Conquer Renegade and Star Trek Bridge Commander. Both are pretty fun and offer a good bit of eye candy special effects.

Enjoy the new computer.

Chris

Gamewizard 04-19-02 08:23 PM

If you like strategy and rpg games try Warlords battlecry II, it's not the best game graphically, but it's still a fun game.

I also reviewed it at the website in my sig

Jackskeleton 04-19-02 08:25 PM

Jedi Knight
or

HALF LIFE
(it has so many damn mod's it is well worth it)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:32 PM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.