Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Need some help w/ Mission: Grand Theft Auto 3

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-02, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some help w/ Mission: Grand Theft Auto 3

I just started playing this game the other day and the $hit is AWESOME!!
Best game I've ever played so far!! (I haven't played many )
Anyhow, I am still near the beginning of the game. The mission that is stomping me is: Where you have to go to the Chinese town and kill that one guy running the noodle shop. The problem I have is, the guy escapes EVERY time!!!

I roast his buddies with the flame thrower and either the cops come and everyone gangs up on me or the guy flees. What is the best way to beat this mission?

I even went to the booth while fighting his buddies and did not see him in there even though it shows him at the window before the actual fighting starts.

Please HELP!!

Also, how much more before I get to go to the other city? My brother bought a memory card with all three cities on it, but I wanted to start from scratch.....

Thanks!
Old 04-10-02, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just gotta have a car ready. He will run. If you have a decent car you should be able to chase him down with little problem though.
Old 04-10-02, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by WildcatLH
Just gotta have a car ready. He will run. If you have a decent car you should be able to chase him down with little problem though.
Do I have to kill all his buddies before I can go after him? It's like I get the "Mission Failed" as soon as he runs. Am I waiting to long? I didn't know I can or am suppose to chase him. I was thinking he would come out or it would automatically take him out after I take out his boys. ....kind of like when I took the guys car, planted the bomb, drove it back, and then the system did the rest.

Thanks for the info!!
Old 04-10-02, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Been a while since I played this mission, but from what I remember, the easiest way to do it is that he's got 2 getaway cars stashed in alleys. Steal both of these cars before you go into the alley where the noodle stand is. He'll still run, but has no car to go to. You can take him down easily this way.
Old 04-10-02, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Super easy way to kill him: park a small sports car up against the concrete poles that normally prevent you from driving in. Then drive a Patriot (the humvee) over that car (and subsequently over the concrete poles). It takes a little work. Then just run over him. Easy kill.
Old 04-10-02, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I finally got him...

Just shot at his buddies to get him out and then ran him down.

Thanks!

PS I'm on the race scene now and I'll play it tonight when I return from school
Old 04-10-02, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How much is left on that island? Well, it all depends on how much you want to do. Once you start doing Salvatore's missions, you're almost done. All you have to do is finish his missions to get to the second island.

However, you'll want to do everything you want to accomplish on the first island now. Already some stuff is going to be difficult to get/do because the Triads are already gunning for your ass. If you finish Salvatore's missions, the mafia will be gunning for you, and you will be unable to finish off some extras in the first island.

Some of the extras are:

Unique Jumps
All "optional" missions
The offroad mission
The hidden packages
The taxi missions
The Vigilante missions (highly recommended, having the police bribes at your hideout is a godsend)
The FireFighter missions
The Paramedic missions
The Emergency vehicle crane (can't do it all right now, but do as much as you can)
The Import/Export garage (ditto)
The Rampage missions

FAQ I used: http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/f...t_auto_3_c.txt
Old 04-11-02, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by einTier
How much is left on that island? Well, it all depends on how much you want to do. Once you start doing Salvatore's missions, you're almost done. All you have to do is finish his missions to get to the second island.

However, you'll want to do everything you want to accomplish on the first island now. Already some stuff is going to be difficult to get/do because the Triads are already gunning for your ass. If you finish Salvatore's missions, the mafia will be gunning for you, and you will be unable to finish off some extras in the first island.

Some of the extras are:

Unique Jumps
All "optional" missions
The offroad mission
The hidden packages
The taxi missions
The Vigilante missions (highly recommended, having the police bribes at your hideout is a godsend)
The FireFighter missions
The Paramedic missions
The Emergency vehicle crane (can't do it all right now, but do as much as you can)
The Import/Export garage (ditto)
The Rampage missions

FAQ I used: http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/f...t_auto_3_c.txt
'll check that FAQ out. Yeah, it's rough riding through China Town. I don't think I'd make it through there on foot.....
Old 04-11-02, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Flamethrower?!!?!

Sounds like someone cheated

Anyway, here are some easy ways of defeating him.

First, run past his buddies, just ignore them. Your goal is Chunky the Noodle guy, not them. Just aim the Uzi at him as he runs away and he will go down. If he gets in his car, just try to keep up and ram him.

The most foolproof way...

Get the car he is going to run to, take it to 8 balls, put in a bomb and park it in the same place. Make sure you arm it before getting out.
Then go to the other entrance and casually walk up to Chunky and let him run away.

You should see a big bang and Mission Passed!

It is an amazing game. There are probably 10 ways you can complete any mission.

Doug
Old 04-11-02, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Doug Schiller
Flamethrower?!!?!

Sounds like someone cheated
You can get the flamethrower in Portland. You get on the train tracks in front of your hideout, and then your run clockwise. Pretty soon, the tracks will run over a radio station. Jump to the roof. There's a flamethrower and a hidden package. It works great, especially early on when you don't have it readily availabe.
Old 04-11-02, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't find this mission particularly hard - I just hijacked one of the heavy vans and chased after the guy. My car had force, and I just rammed him until his car was about to explode. He crashed into a pole, and I rammed into the side of his car. I ran out, and both of the cars exploded. No more Chunky Lee Chong.

Last edited by RolloTomasi; 04-11-02 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-12-02, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by LX98Civic

PS I'm on the race scene now and I'll play it tonight when I return from school
Use the 98 Civic LX...it's the fastest car in the game!
Old 04-13-02, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts
What's so cool about this game is that there are so amy ways to solve any mission. I was stumped for a while on that level, even engaging him in a five minute car chase before he got away. Then one time, I'm driving around waiting for my wanted status to clear when I saw his car. I hopped in it, drove it a block away and crashed it into a wall. Then when I went to see him, there was no getaway car waiting for him and I gunned him down in the street.

I like that car bomb idea a lot more, though
Old 04-15-02, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I had quite a bit of trouble with Chunky Lee myself. I ended up running in, mowing him down, then taking off in his getaway car to avoid his henchman.

Anyway, I need your help with the final mission in the first city:

I head to the dock after picking up 8-ball and he takes off to hide on the left. What I've been doing is heading to the right, going around the corner, and heading up the stairs to the platform.

The first guy I pick off is to the left at the bottom of the stairway. After shooting him, the guy on the right runs toward the vehicle. I manage to ice him too and I aim for the guy at the top of the stairs to the left. Then I proceed to move from left to right, picking off the baddies one by one. However, I'm finding it difficult to always get them on first shot, and 8 ball keeps running to the right, until someone finally kills him. Then I steal the cartel cruiser, head back and pick him up again, and try again.

There are obviously certain people I need to focus on, but I never have enough time to "scan" the boat to see who is shooting at 8-ball. What should I be doing?

Thanks for all and any feedback!
Old 04-15-02, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by boc4ever
Anyway, I need your help with the final mission in the first city...
Thanks for all and any feedback!
There's an adrenalin pill on the docks nearby (I think it's between the green crates). Use it when sniping. It makes everything so much easier. I was able to blow through the mission on my first try by doing that.
Old 04-15-02, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by CaptainMarvel

There's an adrenalin pill on the docks nearby (I think it's between the green crates). Use it when sniping. It makes everything so much easier. I was able to blow through the mission on my first try by doing that.
Cool! Thanks for the tip...I'll give this a shot tonight...
Old 04-15-02, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Regarding the 8-ball/boat mission, in addition to the adrenaline pill, it also helps if you shoot the oil drums/explosives/whatever they are on the boat itself. If you do it right, it should take out at least one or two guys at a time, and you won't have to spend your time aiming for them.

I had a hell of a time with that mission myself, until I started using the pill and shooting the drums.
Old 04-15-02, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Virex
Regarding the 8-ball/boat mission, in addition to the adrenaline pill, it also helps if you shoot the oil drums/explosives/whatever they are on the boat itself. If you do it right, it should take out at least one or two guys at a time, and you won't have to spend your time aiming for them.

I had a hell of a time with that mission myself, until I started using the pill and shooting the drums.
That makes a lot of sense. I really wanted to figure this out on my own, but I was getting mighty sick of it. Sounds like I'll be having some fun tonight! Thanks again!
Old 04-15-02, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Make sure you start with the two guys by the cruiser, and move left to right. Don't move on to the next guy until you pick off the one that's furthest on the left. This is because the guys on the left will shoot 8-ball before the guys on the right.

Here's what the faq I used says:

When you stop in the circle, 8-Ball will say he'll move onto the boat as
soon as you fire the first shot. Before you start shooting, go to the front
of the warehouse where the mobile trailers are. Here you will find an
Adrenaline Pill which will slow down time, making sniping easier. Don't get
in a car or it will wear off. Run back down the side of the warehouse where
the boat is, and go up the stairs you find on the side of the warehouse.
They will lead to the roof where you should set up your sniper's nest.

Shoot the guy to the left of the ramp going onto the ship, because he's
harder to hit, then shoot the guy on the right side. Look up and you'll see
red drums next to a guy. Shoot the drums to make them explode and take him
out. Look along to the right and snipe the rest of the guys along the boat.
If you see more oil drums, shoot them for explosions that will kill guys.
Don't stop shooting until you have reached the building on the front of the
ship. 8-Ball will run in there if you were successful. He'll set the
bombs, and run away as the ship sinks.

It's probably a good idea to read the next paragraph, but it does reveal a big plot point, so read it at your own discretion. If you don't read it, it won't hurt you, but may make it difficult/impossible to complete all missions or get all the items.

Spoiler:

IMPORTANT NOTICE! PLEASE READ!: When you complete this next mission of
Salvatore's, you just about won't be able to show your face in Portland ever
again, because (spoiler) Salvatore's gonna double-cross you in this next
mission (end spoiler). Finish up all business you have in Portland, RIGHT
NOW, like finding all the hidden packages, doing the emergency vehicle
missions, etc. Finishing up El Burro's missions being a real important
thing you ought to do. Don't make the same mistake I did on my first game.
Old 04-16-02, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've had GTA3 since around Christmas, but I've never really gotten into it that much. I figured I'm one of 4 people on the planet that don't think this is the best game ever.

Reading this thread kind of rekindled my interest so I played a bit last night. I was stuck on 'Triads and Tribulations' but I got past it and 'Blow Fish' (which was really easy). Since I'm close to getting to the second area, I'll probably continue to play it more.

I get frustrated when I'm on foot. I'm at the point where guys are shooting at me all the time, whether I'm on a mission or not. If I'm in a vehicle no problem. If it comes down to a shootout on the streets, I suck.

Thanks for helping me get more of my $50 out of it. At least I'm playing it again.
Old 04-16-02, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Guys, thanks for all your suggestions. The pill worked like a charm, and yes I got burned right after that. I ignored the beeper and continued the mission like an idiot. Nonetheless, I had a great time exploring the new city last night. I guess it will take some getting used to, but this city seems much more difficult to get around in. I probably need to explore for a while before I start taking more missions.

Regarding the first mission in Staunton Island: (spoiler alert)

Spoiler:
I was able to get back and ice Salvatore. If anyone is having trouble with this, I found that waiting on the hill facing Chinatown was the best strategy. Then when Sal rounded the corner I caused a head on collision and kept ramming until he was toast. You'll need a police car or sentinel to withstand the barrage of gunfire and ramming from the mob. The other thing I figured out quickly was that the boat takes way too long to get back. Take the Callaghan bridge.

Last edited by boc4ever; 04-16-02 at 10:03 AM.
Old 04-16-02, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Gromit
I've had GTA3 since around Christmas, but I've never really gotten into it that much. I figured I'm one of 4 people on the planet that don't think this is the best game ever.

Reading this thread kind of rekindled my interest so I played a bit last night. I was stuck on 'Triads and Tribulations' but I got past it and 'Blow Fish' (which was really easy). Since I'm close to getting to the second area, I'll probably continue to play it more.

I get frustrated when I'm on foot. I'm at the point where guys are shooting at me all the time, whether I'm on a mission or not. If I'm in a vehicle no problem. If it comes down to a shootout on the streets, I suck.

Thanks for helping me get more of my $50 out of it. At least I'm playing it again.
Hey, I think I'm the only person in the world who didn't think Devil May Cry was all that. I've played about a fourth of the way through it, and I just can't bring myself to pick it up.

GTA3 gets better the further into the game you get. The second island is my favorite, and the third has some interesting topography. There's also some really cool cars that start appearing later in the game.

Portland is going to start becoming a war zone. Once you start in on the Triads, they'll shoot at you every chance they get. Eventually, the Mafia will start scoping you out and you won't be able to get around Portland at all. I just started a new game yesterday and it was very strange to drive around Portland and be able to go anywhere without having to worry about being shot.

I'm bad on foot too, so I just try not to be on foot. If my car blows up, I'm running for the nearest car to jack. I don't waste time trying to cap everyone unless it's part of the mission. I find I can use the M-16 and sniper rifle the easiest. The flame thrower is good if there's a barrier between you and the people you're flaming. Otherwise, they'll come and set you on fire too.

boc4ever, you're right, the new islands get harder and harder to get around in. The last island is an absolute bitch to get around. It's very cool, but it's so hilly, many times you just can't get where you want to go, even though you can see it.
Old 04-16-02, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by einTier

boc4ever, you're right, the new islands get harder and harder to get around in. The last island is an absolute bitch to get around. It's very cool, but it's so hilly, many times you just can't get where you want to go, even though you can see it.
lol...I was going crazy trying to get to where the "A" was on the map. Finally I just took a jump off the expressway (great for the car) and then backtracked to figure out how to get down there. It was so frustrating though, no matter which road I took, I was above it. In a way it feels like a whole new game. I forgot how long it took to find my way around Portland. The coolest thing about this game is how realistic it is. If you think about driving in real life and how you know some roads like the back of your hand now, but it took you a while to become familiar with where you were, etc. This game was the best $50 I've spent in a long time...
Old 04-29-02, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

NEED HELP PLEASE!!!!!!

I am now on the 2nd city and having trouble with the mission with the payphone booths. I forget what it's called but you have to go to like (at least) 4 telephones with a time limit. I got to the third with a few seconds left thinking I beat it (finally) and what the hell happens??? .....a 4th phone must be reached. Man, it seems impossible How do I beat this mission?

Thanks
Old 04-29-02, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by LX98Civic
NEED HELP PLEASE!!!!!!

I am now on the 2nd city and having trouble with the mission with the payphone booths. I forget what it's called but you have to go to like (at least) 4 telephones with a time limit. I got to the third with a few seconds left thinking I beat it (finally) and what the hell happens??? .....a 4th phone must be reached. Man, it seems impossible How do I beat this mission?

Thanks
Drive faster? I don't remember there being a trick to this one. The phone booths are always in the same place, so you've just got to learn the quickest route from one to the next. I forget if this is one of those that required you to drive one of the crappy cars/trucks. If not, then jack a Cheetah or Banshee before you start the mission.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.