Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

How Long Now For The Ps2 Price Drop?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

How Long Now For The Ps2 Price Drop?

Old 04-10-02, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why would you absolutely kill sales at the end of a quarter by announcing a price reduction but not making it effective until the first day of the next quarter?
Old 04-10-02, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hope it's $199 ... not because I want a PS2, but because an X Box or GC Price drop would put one of those in my house & they are sure to follow suit with a price drop if PS2 goes to $199...

Old 04-10-02, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Zinc
I am talking about the street where people know stuff and not read it.
Can i get directions, G?
Old 04-10-02, 11:08 AM
Cool New Member

Most likely situations...

Sony drops the price to around $200 ( maybe only $249)

Sony drops the price to $249 but includes the modem in the package.

Sony doesn't drop the price but includes the modem and HDD.

WHY?

Becuase it's HUGE news right now that Xbox costs considerably more than the PS2 in every part of the world except north america. Microsoft is using the argument " Yea, but you don't need to buy anything else to get online." It's an argument that isn't working however since PS2 is selling at a rate of about 3-1 in Japan ; 2-1 in Australia; and 2-1 in Europe.

If sony some how manages to do BOTH ( say drop the price to $249 and add in the BBA and HDD) then you're going to see Microsoft really start re-thinking it's goals.

As an aside, Nintendo has already stated that they will "Respond immediately and in kind " to any PS2 price drop. Which will really put the pressure on Microsoft.
Old 04-10-02, 03:04 PM

I might just buy another PS2 if it drops to 199.99 considering I just solde mine a little while ago for a lot more on ebay. I had a launch one without the new drivers, so now I could get a new one. Hopefully the GameCube will follow too, I would assume it will. Game consoles are really coming out at a higher price than years ago. I mean I understand, they can do more now but it has to be hurting their market. Don't know too many parents that are going to fork out $500 for a system, extra controller, and a couple games so their kid can play.
Old 04-10-02, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by DigitalBackSpin

Sony drops the price to $249 but includes the modem in the package.
That's what I'd guess. Sony's interesting press release of a few days ago touting the fact that they had integrated the EE and GS chips into a single chip seems to suggest that they're going to do something fairly aggressive. And I'd say that bundling a modem is almost a given. Sony's online plans pretty much require that they start to do so fairly soon.

And was there ever a good explanation as to the shortage of the memory cards? Maybe they've been stockpiling them to be bundled with new units as well.
Old 04-10-02, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by belboz

That's what I'd guess. Sony's interesting press release of a few days ago touting the fact that they had integrated the EE and GS chips into a single chip seems to suggest that they're going to do something fairly aggressive. And I'd say that bundling a modem is almost a given. Sony's online plans pretty much require that they start to do so fairly soon.

And was there ever a good explanation as to the shortage of the memory cards? Maybe they've been stockpiling them to be bundled with new units as well.
I wonder also if that will happen. I have heard rumors that the PS2 costs are hoving around the $220's and if they are able to integrate the two chips this might get down to $200 or so. allowing them to either bundle the modem or maybe get the price down to $199 and then have an online gamers bundle at $249.

of course who knows with the slowing sales of the xbox. Sony might go for $249 and no bundle pocketing the profits.

by the way no rumors are from Best Buy employees
Old 04-11-02, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And was there ever a good explanation as to the shortage of the memory cards?
There was a news blurb stating that there was a bad production run and they had to trash a signifigant number of them. Cant find the link though now, sorry.
Old 04-11-02, 10:50 AM

I don't know about anyone else, but as a PS2 owner who paid $299 for the system, I will be irritated to say the least if Sony doesn't give existing owners a good deal on any hardware they may bundle with the PS2. I haven't seen any official prices on the network adapter or the hard drive. I just hope I won't have to shell out a couple of hundred dollars to go online with my PS2.
Old 04-11-02, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Roan
I don't know about anyone else, but as a PS2 owner who paid $299 for the system, I will be irritated to say the least if Sony doesn't give existing owners a good deal on any hardware they may bundle with the PS2. I haven't seen any official prices on the network adapter or the hard drive. I just hope I won't have to shell out a couple of hundred dollars to go online with my PS2.
I think I remember them saying the online adapter was going to cost $40. I have no idea about the HD.
Old 05-01-02, 09:24 AM

Here's a little article about the possible reason for a price drop...

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2107898,00.html
Old 05-01-02, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 697 Likes on 445 Posts
I already own a PS2, and I figure that my 6 months of owning it makes up for possibly paying $100 more than someone buying it now.

I'm more excitied about the Gamcube dropping to $150 or so. If that happened, it would be in my house by the end of the day.

Oh, and no broadband access where I live, so I could care less about going online. Though, I'll admit it would be nice if you could get a comparable setup on the PS2 for the same price of an X-box.
Old 05-01-02, 12:35 PM
Retired

I think I remember them saying the online adapter was going to cost $40. I have no idea about the HD.
The newest EGM confirms the $40 price tag for the modem/broadband adapter.

It gives no price for the HD and says it probably won't be out until early next year.
Old 05-01-02, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've waited for a year and a half to buy a PS2 for personal reasons, but I couldn't wait any longer. I got one last weekend. I knew full well that E3 was in May and I went ahead and did it anyway. I know I may have saved some money by waiting, but I just couldn't wait any longer. Arrgh!
Old 05-03-02, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I really hope it's less than $200. So I can afford one.
Old 05-03-02, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sony once dropped the price of the PSX in June. They already have a huge user base as it is right now. The price drop could be them reasoning that the market might be hitting a ceiling at it's current price.

I think this is what might happen......

You'll see a price drop to $199 for the stand alone PS2

Sony will package a game, modem and PS2 for about $229-$250 and the HD will sell seperately

Or there might even be a "complete package" for about $250

I think it's still a safe bet that the PS2 will still be sold as a individual unit, only now for a "discount".

Robb