anyone preorder? is it worth it?
Old 03-25-02, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pre ordered two.

Is it worth it? We'll know in May.
Old 03-25-02, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm waiting until about july. By then we'll have 4 or five different clones on ebay for much cheaper.
Old 03-25-02, 11:22 PM

After watching the movie they posted, I almost preordered the afterburner kit even though I can't solder to save my life even if it were it in a life threatening situation.

The lik-sang one has the afterburner built into it, but I'm not sure how well they mod things, I'm guessing they're pretty experienced with installing technical things if they're offering this. The price isn't "too" bad, but I heard their shipping is a little high. After people start posting their experiences with installing this thing I might order one (hopefully i'll even be able to get one if I order it now by then. This kit has been posted on every major gaming news site and message board and probably even in some print magazines. I noticed gamespot just plugged them this week as well. ). I'm going to preorder the afterburner kit tomorrow and if people seem to think that the installation is too difficult for normal people I have a friend who'll buy if off me so I can get the premodded gba from liksang....even though I already have a GBA .
Old 03-26-02, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
The video said PortableMonopoly on it, so I'm guessing this is all from the same source. Afterburner = Portable Monopoly, no? This pre-installed thing is indeed another way to go. If it's only 5 or 10 bucks more to get the pre-installed one, that might be worth it for someone (like me) who hasn't even bought one yet. I wasn't planning on doing so, but this backlit thing is what I was waiting for.
Old 03-26-02, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Afterburner is indeed the PortableMonopoly.com kit.
When you add it all up, $70 GBA, $35 Light, Lik Sang is a decent deal.

As for cheap knockoffs on ebay for cheaper. Do not count on it.
There was already a well organized group that tried to do it and failed. It was not the design that got them, but the $$$ for the company's to make frontlights. They are not made in small quantities, so company's require money, and lots of it, up front with a large order. I watched one group learn the hard way, so another, doing it cheaper, is highly unlikely.
Old 03-26-02, 01:23 PM

i might have to get one a sell my gba. i bought one from the overstock deal...
or if i can find a decent solder person i can order the kit and just install in my current gba
Old 03-26-02, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I you can't solder, the guy at www.portablemonopoly.net (different company/site) will install it for 20 bucks.
Old 03-26-02, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've pre-ordered... I couldn't wait. I was sitting there watching the video, and trying to play golden sun. somehow I lost the good light that I was using and **Whamo** Impulse Buy. I couldn't help myself. Damn I can't wait. As for the Combo, it's great if you don't already own one. But I grown quite fond of my gba I don't want to sell it or get another one. So a soldering I will go...when I get the kit.
Old 03-26-02, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
I you can't solder, the guy at www.portablemonopoly.net (different company/site) will install it for 20 bucks.
Word around the IGN Boards is NOT to trust this guy.
First off, he originally said $10. BUt, I guess he has tried to weasel his way into everyone's projects, trying to profit from them.

This is the latest and he is very much disliked.
Old 03-27-02, 04:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by outer-edge

Word around the IGN Boards is NOT to trust this guy.
First off, he originally said $10. BUt, I guess he has tried to weasel his way into everyone's projects, trying to profit from them.

This is the latest and he is very much disliked.
Well - I don't know the guy, I just saw it in some gamer's magazine I got the other day. People are probably saying not to trust him cuz he's trying to make money off other people's inventions like a parasite instead of inventing something himself... I doubt he'd stay around very long if he was keeping GBAs or breaking them or rubbing cow poo on them. Either way - I wouldn't send my GBA off anywhere to have someone solder something in it... I was just reporting an option I read about. Thanks for the heads up though - people should probably heed this warning then if he's developing a bad reputation.
Old 03-27-02, 07:19 AM

Yes, I preordered one. The crappy screen is the main reason my GBA has been sitting up on the shelf for the last several months, unplayed. I have no qualms about opening it up and installing the Afterburner light.

However, I probably haven't done any soldering since my junior high shop class, and that was a long time ago (I'm 32). I don't mean to hijack the thread and get off-topic, but can somebody post some information about soldering? i.e. how hard/simple it is, your experiences with it, etc.? Wouldn't mind hearing from some folks who have soldered recently and could fill me in.

I figure, if it seems like it's gonna be too much for me, I'll take it to a local electronics store and see if I can pay to have it installed.

Last edited by DavePack; 03-27-02 at 07:22 AM.
Old 04-20-02, 08:47 AM

If you want to find out any more info about the kit, I scored an interview with Adam Curtis (Afterburner creator ) here

Last edited by Gamewizard; 04-20-02 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-20-02, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Soldering is a snap, so I've preordered straight from Triton Labs, but if you don't have access to a soldering iron this is probably the way to go.
Old 04-20-02, 05:54 PM

Soldering is a snap
I agree, unless you have zero soldering experience you should be able to install the kit no problem.