Reload this Page >

[Review] PS2: Fatal Frame

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 03-07-02, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Wow... this game is super creepy. I don't know why nobody has posted about it... (if they have, then sorry for the duplicate thread - I only did a search for the game title using default dates and came up empty)... It's a new survival horror game (Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Alone In The Dark) in which your only weapon is a camera. You take pictures of the ghosts or spirits to get rid of them. It sounds cheesey, but it's so not. At first we weren't sure if we'd like it because the whole idea sounds childish, but this is far creepier than Silent Hill so far and the gameplay is pretty tight. You have to give it 30 minutes or so in order to get really sucked in, but once you are it grabs you and won't let go. The graphics are really nice too and so is the sound. Wish it was in 5.1, but so few PS2 games are it makes me wonder what the digital optical out is for. I hope they release this for Xbox so I can get full surround sound. This is a pretty unique game - I have a game for Dreamcast that is similar, but comes nowhere near this one in creepiness, graphics, sound, intensity or depth. Our roommate knocked over the PS2 while we were playing and it gouged the disc bad enough that we don't get sound during some scenes, so we're taking it back for replacement (hopefully Gamestop will be cool about it). Just as well anyway since we were getting really creeped out. There are lots of hidden sounds so it pays to have the volume up. Some of the characters remind me of the Japanese movie "Ring". Don't let the premise turn you away from this game - especially if you like survival horror games... there's no guns and no zombies, but the camera against the ghosts is just as good if not better - it's actually a bit more difficult to "kill" the ghosts with the camera than it is in other games to kill zombies or monsters with a gun. This one gets really high marks from me and I'm a video game snob. !!! This is one of those games that give you a reason to buy a PS2.
Old 03-07-02, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the review. I'm a big survival horror fan and this is on my list of games to check out.
Old 05-01-02, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My friend was telling me about it and she made it sound so good. So, I borrowed a PS2 from a friend and rented the game from Blockbuster. It is quite creepy, but I don't know. I might say I like Resident Evil better.
Old 05-01-02, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 697 Likes on 445 Posts
I wanted to rent that one. Thanks for the review

About the optical out, I'm pretty sure that's mainly intended to watch DVDs in 5.1. I doubt we will see a lot of games utilize it.
Old 05-01-02, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've played this game, it is quite spooky. I enjoyed it for the most part, but it left some to be disired IMO. Overall a great rental.
Old 05-01-02, 06:02 PM

Re: [Review] PS2: Fatal Frame

Originally posted by Trigger
Wow... this game is super creepy. I don't know why nobody has posted about it... (if they have, then sorry for the duplicate thread - I only did a search for the game title using default dates and came up empty)... It's a new survival horror game (Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Alone In The Dark) in which your only weapon is a camera. You take pictures of the ghosts or spirits to get rid of them. It sounds cheesey, but it's so not. At first we weren't sure if we'd like it because the whole idea sounds childish, but this is far creepier than Silent Hill so far and the gameplay is pretty tight. You have to give it 30 minutes or so in order to get really sucked in, but once you are it grabs you and won't let go. The graphics are really nice too and so is the sound. Wish it was in 5.1, but so few PS2 games are it makes me wonder what the digital optical out is for. I hope they release this for Xbox so I can get full surround sound. This is a pretty unique game - I have a game for Dreamcast that is similar, but comes nowhere near this one in creepiness, graphics, sound, intensity or depth. Our roommate knocked over the PS2 while we were playing and it gouged the disc bad enough that we don't get sound during some scenes, so we're taking it back for replacement (hopefully Gamestop will be cool about it). Just as well anyway since we were getting really creeped out. There are lots of hidden sounds so it pays to have the volume up. Some of the characters remind me of the Japanese movie "Ring". Don't let the premise turn you away from this game - especially if you like survival horror games... there's no guns and no zombies, but the camera against the ghosts is just as good if not better - it's actually a bit more difficult to "kill" the ghosts with the camera than it is in other games to kill zombies or monsters with a gun. This one gets really high marks from me and I'm a video game snob. !!! This is one of those games that give you a reason to buy a PS2.
I just said that this was by far the scariest video game i have ever played in the Resident Evil review thread. I am also a big fan of the survival horror games and this is by far, the one that freaked me out the most. I highly recommend this game to anyone who loves the horror games. Also, if you want to get the most out of the game, you must play it with the lights off and the sound turned up loud. This is the only game that I really got nervous playing and the chills begin as soon as you start playing. GO GET THIS GAME!!!!!!
Old 05-01-02, 07:26 PM

I highly recommend this game too. Has anybody beat this game in Nightmare level? I want to figure out what the alternative ending is, but I don't have time to play it all over again anytime soon.

Jerry