Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Why aren't Banjo and Kazooie in Super Smash Brothers?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 03-01-02, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was playing today and trying to think of characters who were left out. Banjo was the biggest one I could think of. Anyone know why they are not in there? Are there any other majors that were left out? Diddy Kong? Turok?

Just wondering...

stoolie
Old 03-01-02, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Banjo and Kazooie are Rare characters, not Nintendo characters.
Old 03-01-02, 08:25 PM

Correct. Banjo and Kazooie are Rare characters, but I do believe they are owned by Nintendo. The game was developed in Japan, so that's why it only contains japanese originated characters. Turok is owned by Acclaim.
Old 03-01-02, 09:53 PM

You can unlock Banjo and Kazooie if you do the following:

Play on Cruel Melee with any character, and KO 20 opponents for a high score. Then Banjo and Kazooie will challenge you at the same time. Beat them both, and you can play them as individuals. Beat Classic with either of them to get a nice surprise.

Enjoy

Last edited by Chaos; 03-01-02 at 10:01 PM.
Old 03-01-02, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's stupid as hell. I remember reading all the reviews for Soul Calibur saying it was sooooo good. Well, why the hell weren't Ken and Ryu in it? They know what this thing's about; it's a fighting game. Ken and Ryu were the originals. Geez, these developers should get their act together.
Old 03-02-02, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by keithf25
Correct. Banjo and Kazooie are Rare characters, but I do believe they are owned by Nintendo.
I doubt it.
Old 03-02-02, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Chaos
You can unlock Banjo and Kazooie if you do the following:

Play on Cruel Melee with any character, and KO 20 opponents for a high score. Then Banjo and Kazooie will challenge you at the same time. Beat them both, and you can play them as individuals. Beat Classic with either of them to get a nice surprise.

Enjoy
Hmmmmm.......sounds just like the same hint on how unlock Sonic and Tails. But that was just an April Fools joke so they couldn't be the same.
Old 03-02-02, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts
Originally posted by Aghama

I doubt it.
You doubt that Rare is owned by Nintendo? I can assure you, most certainly, that the controlling interest of Rare is owned by Nintendo.
Old 03-02-02, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Deftones17

You doubt that Rare is owned by Nintendo? I can assure you, most certainly, that the controlling interest of Rare is owned by Nintendo.
I read it as Nintendo owning the B&K characters. A controlling interest isn't the same as having complete rights to everything.
Old 03-02-02, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk God

I read it as Nintendo owning the B&K characters. A controlling interest isn't the same as having complete rights to everything.
I think it's pretty safe to say Rare does what Nintendo says. If Nintendo wants to make a game w/ Banjo and Kazooie, I think Rare will ask when and what type of game.
Old 03-02-02, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Deftones17

I think it's pretty safe to say Rare does what Nintendo says.
I think Rare has more autonomy than you're giving them credit for. I've seen no evidence that Nintendo directly controls what games Rare develops, though they obviously have a lot of sway. Though your second statement is probably true.
Old 03-02-02, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk God

I think Rare has more autonomy than you're giving them credit for. I've seen no evidence that Nintendo directly controls what games Rare develops, though they obviously have a lot of sway. Though your second statement is probably true.
More autonomy huh? So if Rare wanted to go out and make PS2 and Xbox games, Nintendo would be ok with that? I hardly think that's the case. Sure, Rare may come up with their own ideas, but I guarantee Nintendo has say in their day to day operations. Take the game Dinosaur Planet for N64, for instance. That was to be a new Rare title. Then it fell off the maps for many months. It resurfaced as the Starfox Adventures game for Gamecube. You don't think Nintendo had anything to do w/ that?
Old 03-02-02, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, Rare would probably let Nintendo use their characters if the big N demanded it. But it would hardly be good practice for a copmany to insult their largest 2nd party designer like that. They'd either have to pay for the characters, which is unnecessary overhead, or just take 'em, and risk a very pissed off subsidiary who isn't getting any profit from a use of their intellectual property.

As was said before, controlling interest or no, Rare is a seperate company.