DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Sonic Is In SSB: M!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/186239-sonic-ssb-m.html)

Chaos 02-22-02 02:40 PM

Sonic Is In SSB: M!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just when you thought SSB: M had run out of replay value . . . .

Just got this from GameInformer, and I'm looking at a screen of Sonic in SSB: M now, so it's legit.

Here's how:

Achieve a high score of 20 KO's with any character in Cruel Melee. Sonic and Tails will then challenge you at the same time. Defeat them both, and you can play them as individuals in the game. It also says that if you beat Classic with either one, you'll get a special surprise. (No spoilers ok?)

It should say this when you unlock them:

A Dream's Been Cast!
Sonic & Tails Join the Melee

Groucho 02-22-02 02:43 PM

How come nobody's noticed this before now? Is it date driven, or do you have to have a Sonic save or something?

Edited to add: isn't this the same magazine that announced GTA3 was coming for the Cube? :rolleyes:

Aghama 02-22-02 02:44 PM

Re: Sonic Is In Ssb: M!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Chaos

Just got this from GameInformer, and I'm looking at a screen of Sonic in SSB: M now, so it's legit.

Um, this screen is in the magazine? Are you sure it's not the April issue?

Chaos 02-22-02 02:45 PM

It is the April issue.

It doesn't say anything about a Sonic save needed, so no one's probably known about it because Cruel Melee is so damn hard. The most I've ever seen KO'd is 5.

Liver&Onions 02-22-02 02:47 PM

Crazy! Having a sonic save could have somthing to do with it..that would be pretty cool if it did. Well, enjoy you SSB:M players you!

I'd like to check that screenshot, and if anyone does do this, let us know what the secret is in spoilers of course... the people who don't want to know will have to exercise some self control. ;)

Aghama 02-22-02 02:47 PM

Originally posted by Chaos
It is the April issue.
'k then...think reeeeeal hard about what's special about the month of April. ;)

Gallant Pig 02-22-02 02:49 PM

I got this to work and it's awesome. ;)

wallsofwatts 02-22-02 03:53 PM

The Sonic in SSB:M picture and tip on how to get him is also in the April issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly (which has State of Emergency in it).

I just realized this is an April Fool's joke. Blasted!

ScandalUMD 02-22-02 04:06 PM

April Fool's jokes are pretty damn unfunny in February.

Aghama 02-22-02 05:47 PM

Originally posted by ScandalUMD

April Fool's jokes are pretty damn unfunny in February.

I concur.

Deftones 02-22-02 06:26 PM

rotfl

I love video game magazine April Fool's jokes!

Cornfed 02-22-02 07:14 PM

Originally posted by Deftones17
rotfl

I love when people fall for them. rotfl

Triton 02-22-02 07:58 PM

well it's not too hard to fall for a joke when it's a couple calendar pages early! :grunt:-wink-

Thunderball 02-22-02 09:34 PM

Originally posted by Deftones17
rotfl

My favorite is still EGM's GoldenEye :lol:

20 KOs in Cruel Melee is impossible.

naitram 02-22-02 09:38 PM

Originally posted by Thunderball

My favorite is still EGM's GoldenEye :lol:

Haha so many people were pissed off about that. :lol:

How about the ol' "Shen Long is in Street Fighter II" EGM gag..ooops, am I showing my age?

Deftones 02-22-02 09:46 PM

Originally posted by naitram

How about the ol' "Shen Long is in Street Fighter II" EGM gag..ooops, am I showing my age?

Nope, I totally remember that.

I remember when PSM ran that one for the game where the lead female character is naked. The game's name was something like "_____ Wilde".

I worked at a video game store and and I got tons of calls from perverts wanting to buy it! :lol:

joltaddict 02-22-02 09:49 PM

Originally posted by Thunderball
20 KOs in Cruel Melee is impossible.
That was my first reaction. No fricken way.

Josh H 02-22-02 11:06 PM

Poor Chaos is probably sitting in front of the TV turning red with frustration trying to get 20 KO's in Cruel Melee. :lol:

Dragon Fly 02-23-02 12:52 AM

I don't remember the GoldenEye one, but i sure remember way back when for the TMNT: Arcade game for SNES, "Play as Simon Bellmont" I was just a kid then and man, i must have spent like 2 hours trying to get that &%&*$* code to work :)

todd

Darknight 02-23-02 01:40 AM

My favorite was this one from Gaming Age:

http://www.video-source.com/stuff/misc/kazuya.jpg

Outlaw 02-23-02 02:19 AM

awww man! I was hoping this was true. I always wanted pit Mario versus Sonic ;). Its still February that is pretty early for the April issue though.

On a side note, wasn't there a sonic fighting game? Can't remember what it was called but I remember seeing pictures of it for an arcade version. I always liked thegia.com 's April Fool's jokes, they go pretty elaborate on some of them. Here's one of my favorites, The new Final Fantasy DDR game called Funky Fantasy:

http://www.thegia.com/news/0104/n01b...fantasy-tn.jpg

Complete with original remix samples of FF music on the site in DDR style music.

mtucker 02-23-02 10:29 AM

Someone is going to have to refresh my memory on the Goldeneye hoax. I distinctly remember the Sheng Long (sp?) hoax however.

Breakfast with Girls 02-23-02 10:30 AM

If anyone doesn't know about this, I just found it out a week ago or so... if you have Samus, some combination of the Z button and button mashing on the d-pad (not the analog stick) while holding block will cause Samus' grappling arm to double in length and home in on enemies (even through objects).

That isn't an April Fools' gag, so try it out if you haven't already. Once you unlock it in a match, that becomes your A button (IIRC). Press A again when the tip is near an opponent to grab 'em.

Another fun thing to try is to catch 3 items in Mr. Game & Watch's bucket (B + down). He'll start glowing, and you can throw the bucket contents at someone for an instant KO.

PixyJunket 02-23-02 10:34 AM

Originally posted by naitram

Ha! I got you BEAT..

Remember the VERY FIRST april fool's joke in EGM?

Play as SIMON BELMONT in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: The Arcade Game!!!

Boy I tried that for HOURS, never fell for any of them since.. (of course I stopped reading when video games started to suck)

Fanboy 02-25-02 09:06 AM

And Dragon Fly has you beat. :)