Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Need PS2 game advice

Old 02-22-02, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need PS2 game advice

Hey,
I just bought a PS2 a couple weeks ago and like it a lot thus far (though I've been mainly playing FFX). I also have GTA3, X G racing III, Twisted Metal Black, and MGS2. I've been considering getting one or two more games that are out right now, but I still need to narrow it down. An important thing is replay value, for example, I'm leaning away from games that you can complete in 10 hours such as Max Payne, Devil May Cry, and Ico even though those 10 hours are great gameplay. I would prefer to rent titles like these and just beat it in the rental time without having to plop down $50 each time.

Max Payne (I also have a decent computer setup; leaning toward rental of this only)

Ico (leaning toward rental)

Devil May Cry (leaning toward rental, and if I got Resident Evil Code Veronica, there's a demo of it included, though I don't know how long the demo is)

Resident Evil Code Veronica X (I have barely played any of the RE series but I heard this is the best. I'm tempted to wait and see how well RE1 is for the GC and I know there will be a port of Veronica on the GC too, but it seems like there will be minimal changes to Veronica, so I don't see the point in waiting for the GC version)

Gran Turismo 3 (I'm usually not a big racing game fan so I'm leaning toward renting this as well)

Drakan (I played the first one for the PC which was ok,....though people say this one is a lot better. )

Just to let you know what my tastes in games are....I like adventure/rpg games (e.g. zelda, FF series) mainly, horror games sometimes (any opinions on Silent Hill 2?), and first person shooters although those are usually better on the PC (can you say Unreal II baby!)

I'm also considering getting some PS1 games since I've played that many. (I have played FF7-9, and Chrono Cross). I'm considering Xenogears, FF Tactics, and MGS. These definitely worth getting. What are some other good ones?? Thanks
Old 02-22-02, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your best bet on PS1 (since you didn't talk about them) would be getting Final Fantasy Anthology (FF5 and 6) and Final Fantasy Choronicles (FF4 and Chrono Trigger). Those will keep you busy for a long time. Chrono Trigger is easily the crown jewel in those 4 games although all of them are great.

I would also recommend Vagrant Story, FF Tactics (a MUST if you like strategy/RPG) and Xenogears, they are all very good. Also get the original MGS although it may be hard to go backwards after MGS2.

PS2...boy, you've kind of narrowed down your choices. Silent Hill 2 is an OK game. The graphics are neat (especially with the flashlight and shadows) but I wasn't too impressed by it much like the original. The game just moves too slow, Resident Evil is the same. This is why I like a game like Devil May Cry, a game that moves fast.

Drakan 2 is a good game to pick up, I would also recommend Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance even though you can beat it within 15-20 hours (and maybe less).

Other than that, most can be beaten in under 10 hours but they are excellent games.

I would also recommend you get Max Payne for your computer over the PS2 version. The X-Box version is really the only choice outside of the PC to really get.
Old 02-22-02, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

of the ones you listed, i like ICO but you're right; as it is short, make sure you get a good deal or just rent it. what about Grandia 2?

like you, i enjoy the RPGs but sports too like Fifa2k, SSX Tricky, GT3, NBA Street.

i know Resident Evil has a good rep, but it is not my type of game... Devil May Cry is fun.

as for PS1, Xenogears (but hard to find). i'd get Arc the Lad but it may never come out FFAnthology / Chronicles are a tough call b/c although i got them, the poor graphics made me leery of actually playing them. i'll give them a chance when i don't have other games to play.
Old 02-22-02, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by young
of the ones you listed, i like ICO but you're right; as it is short, make sure you get a good deal or just rent it. what about Grandia 2?
Grandia 2 is a pretty short RPG. You can probably get through it in 20-25 hours.

I'd suggest the Lunar series: Lunar the Silver Star Story and Lunar the Eternal Blue.
Old 02-22-02, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by ellone
Grandia 2 is a pretty short RPG. You can probably get through it in 20-25 hours.

I'd suggest the Lunar series: Lunar the Silver Star Story and Lunar the Eternal Blue.
didn't know that about grandia 2. is there some replay value? i was going to wait to get it until i finish at least 1 RPG in my library (FF8)

btw, i bought grandia, lunars (both), etc... b/c of others' recommendations but same as above. i don't have the time to play right now.
Old 02-22-02, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Others haven't mentioned it but if you're into shooting/flying games at all Ace Combat 4 is INCREDIBLE. I've played through it like 5 times already and am not sick of it at all. Also if you plan on getting a multitap and have 4 controllers, the multiplayer in Agent Under Fire is a blast. I'd say hold off on it though unless you know you'll want to do alot of multiplayer as the single player is only average.
Old 02-22-02, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gran Turismo 3 (I'm usually not a big racing game fan so I'm leaning toward renting this as well)
Don't pass up GT3 just because it's a racing game. There's a lot to this game that you won't find in any other racer. I know a lot of people who don't like racing games that got addicted to GT3.

I'm also considering getting some PS1 games since I've played that many. (I have played FF7-9, and Chrono Cross). I'm considering Xenogears, FF Tactics, and MGS. These definitely worth getting. What are some other good ones?? Thanks
May I suggest Xenogears and Valkyrie Profile? They're both great PSX RPGs and I just happen to be looking to sell both. I also have the strategy guides for both. Let me know if you're interested.

I think Grandia 2 took me about 40 hours to beat. Since the game is so linear, it probably took most people about that long.

didn't know that about grandia 2. is there some replay value?
No replay value whatsoever. None. Don't even think about playing this game twice. I suggest you skip the PS2 version anyway. Apparently it didn't turn out too well.
Old 02-25-02, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the suggestions. Here are some replies to the comments

Kellehair: Could you elaborate on how GT3 is different from other racers

I've played Chrono Trigger (one of the greatest) so don't need to buy Chronicles. I've also got the earlier FFs on my computer, so I don't think I'll be buying those just for the added FMVs. I'm a little interested in the Lunar series since it has such a good reputation so I may check those out. Does Devil May Cry have replay value? Didn't really get many resposes about Code Veronica...is this a definite rent first? How long are games Drakan and Code Veronica? Thanks for the input.