DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   What 'must have' titles are out for the Gameboy Advance? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/186155-what-must-have-titles-out-gameboy-advance.html)

Deadpool 02-22-02 09:39 AM

What 'must have' titles are out for the Gameboy Advance?

Ok. I understand that the GBA plays GB Color titles...correct? Anywho, what games are highly recommended. I like fighters, platformers & sports. I have pre-ordered the Crash Bandicoot game. What else should I try?

Josh H 02-22-02 09:48 AM

Castlevania Circle of the Moon
Super Mario Advance (Super Mario Bros 2)
Super Mario Advance 2 (Super Mario World)
Wario Land 4
Mario Kart Super Circuit

I've heard nothing but great things about Advance Wars, but haven't played it. Similarly Golden Sun got decent reviews if you're into RPG's.

For sports, the only game I've heard good things about is Madden 2002.

For fighters, I'd check out Street Fighter II and Tekken, though both got mediocre reviews as the GBA with 4 buttons limits fighters. Stay away from Mortal Kombat Advance. It got the lowest reviews I've ever seen in EGM, and if I remember correctly they said it was their all time lowest score.

Kellehair 02-22-02 09:50 AM

Super Mario World (Super Mario Advance 2) -- Best game ever? Maybe.
Golden Sun -- Great old-school RPG.
Advance Wars -- Near perfect turn-based strategy game.
Mario Kart Super Circuit -- Great game plus double the courses of the SNES classic.

Those are the games I have. I don't thnk many would disagree that those are some the best games out right now.

Groucho 02-22-02 09:51 AM

I just got my GBA in the mail yesterday. I picked up Advance Wars and played it a bit last night. The game is indeed as great as everybody says...excellent turn-based strategy.

I also picked up Mario Kart. Basically a souped-up version of the SNES game...so you can't go wrong there.

goLUCKY 02-22-02 10:10 AM

Golden Sun is the way to go if you want a very fun zelda/pokemon type game! It rocks

Josh H 02-22-02 10:18 AM

I didn't see the first part of your question the first time.

The GBA will play all Gameboy Color games, as well as every game for the orginal Gameboy.

SmackDaddy 02-22-02 01:38 PM

I just got mine too!! I picked up Super Mario Advance 2, Ecks vs. Sever and R-Type DX(Gameboy Color).

I highly recommend Ecks vs. Sever if you would like a FPS. Much more varied tha Doom or Dark Arena, you even get a zoomable sniper rifle!!!

slop101 02-22-02 03:48 PM

2 games yet to be mentioned:

Sonic advance
&
Klonoa

Both are kick-ass platform games.

joltaddict 02-22-02 04:56 PM

Originally posted by slop101
Sonic advance
:thumbsup: Thats what made me get one.

Im seriously thinking of getting Super Dodge Ball Advance too dispite the so-so reviews. I loved that game as a kid.

joltaddict 02-23-02 01:45 PM

How about Gameboy Color titles? I have an old GB but I never got a GBC. What cool titles did I miss? The Simpsons Treehouse of Horror looks pretty cool.

Kellehair 02-23-02 02:05 PM

Some GBC games I've been meaning to get are Zelda: Oracle of Ages/Seasons and Dragon Warrior 3.

Liquid Death 02-23-02 11:49 PM

GB/GBC - Metriod, Metal Gear Solid, Pokemon (Pinball, Trading Card Game, the RPGs), Zelda DX & Ages/Seasons, and Tetris DX.

GBA - Advance Wars, SMA2, Mario Kart, Castlevania.

sniper308 02-24-02 09:34 AM

I just got mine, and only have this game but picked it specifically for my first game to hold me over for a while ... Super Street Fighter II Turbo Revival, currently $19.99 at Egbames.com and EB B&M. If you liked Super Street Fighter for Super NES, this is the game you need... :D

jerry4fish 02-24-02 12:24 PM

Originally posted by sniper308
I just got mine, and only have this game but picked it specifically for my first game to hold me over for a while ... Super Street Fighter II Turbo Revival, currently $19.99 at Egbames.com and EB B&M. If you liked Super Street Fighter for Super NES, this is the game you need... :D
I skipped the SFII although it's a pretty good price, but I bought the Castlevania: Circle of the Moon also at EB for $19.99. :)

Jerry

sniper308 02-24-02 01:48 PM

I'm curious ... I've never played a Castlevania title... how is it? ... is the screen bright enough to play well, and when can you save. I got my GBA mainly to play at lunch at work, or other times when I have a few minutes. I have 2 small kids, so I very rarely get to put in a lot of time on a game at one stretch (and when I do, I play my DC). Is it a complicated adventure game, or does it fall closer to a 2 D platformer? I'll check it out on gamespot but thought I'd ask here since you mention it... :D

jerry4fish 02-24-02 04:23 PM

Originally posted by sniper308
I'm curious ... I've never played a Catlevania title... how is it? ... is the screen bright enough to play well, and when can you save. I got my GBA mainly to play at lunch at work, or other times when I have a few minutes. I have 2 small kids, so I very rarely get to put in a lot of time on a game at one stretch (and when I do, I play my DC). Is it a complicated adventure game, or does it fall closer to a 2 D platformer? I'll check it out on gamespot but thought I'd ask here since you mention it... :D
I mainly got it, because it's cheap (almost can't go wrong for only $19.99) and also recommended by quite a few members here. The screen is a bit dark, so you do need quite a bit of light, but I think the game play is great. :)

Jerry