Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

NBA Street - Gamecube - anyone?

Old 02-20-02, 12:38 PM

NBA Street - Gamecube - anyone?

Anyone planning on picking up NBA Street for Gamecube? I was really anticipating the PS2 version, but it seemed to take so long to come out I never played it much when it finally hit.. But I liked it, and then I broke it out last night again and _really_ liked it.

I think I might have to sell off the PS2 version and pick up the Gamecube version. It's supposed to have improved graphics and the load times will be much better (cause they are terrible on PS2). I also preffer the Gamecube controller for most games.

Anyone play it yet or plan to get it?
Old 02-20-02, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If this version turns out good I'll get it for my brother. He loves sports games and we play them together whenever I'm home from school.
Old 02-20-02, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I plan on renting it but probably not going to buy it unless it is a vast improvement over my already owned PS2 version.
Old 02-20-02, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It was supposed to come out yesterday right? Is there a review of it up somewhere?
Old 02-20-02, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Kellehair
It was supposed to come out yesterday right? Is there a review of it up somewhere?
Not as of yet. IGN and Gamespot have been very slow lately with new games. High profile ones are getting the royal treatment while the smaller profile ones wait in the wing.
Old 02-21-02, 03:58 PM
Retired

I picked this up today and it's fantastic. I never played it on the PS2, so I can't really compare. The graphics are great, the play control is excellent. The combo's for the trick moves and dunks sound like they'd be hard to remember, but after about 5 or 6 games I've got quite a few down. The games pretty easy on the easy setting. Medium diffculty is quite a step up, as I was killing people on easy, then lost my first 3 trys on medium, and then won two very close games.

These is easily the best arcade basketball game I've played. Having 3 players is a plus, and getting points by doing tricks and dunks to build up your game breaker meter adds a ton of strategy as the games usually come down to a gamebreaker shot. For those that haven't played the game breaker shot adds to your score and subtracts from your oponents. So if you shoot a 2 pointer (3 in normal b-ball) it's a four-point swing.

This is a great game and I encourage anyone that likes arcade basketball to pick it up.
Old 02-21-02, 04:10 PM

Am I correct in remembering that this game does not support four player mode?
Old 02-21-02, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I never heard anything like that. Hell, if any version wasn't going to support 4 players, it would have been the PS2 version.
Old 02-21-02, 04:18 PM
Retired

I haven't tried multiplayer yet, but the back of the case has the "For 1-2 player simaltaneous" and corresponding graphic.

I don't know why they didn't add this in. The PS2 was only 2 player as well, but that was more reasonable as Sony was stupid and only put two ports on the PS2 and not everyone buys the multitap.

Edit

On second though, I don't really think this game would work well 4 player. Since their are 3 players on each side, it would get real frustrating when one of you wanted to switch to the third player on defense. There would be no easy way to know who got control of him if both players were trying to switch at the same time. And this would happen a lot as you have to switch to the person under the basket all the time to try to block dunks.

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 02-21-02 at 04:25 PM.
Old 02-21-02, 04:22 PM

This game really is a blast. It looks sharper on the Gamecube, and of course the textures are a bit better. There is also a new court, based in DC with a painted wall/side of building as a large part of the background.

The improved load times alone make it much better!
Old 02-21-02, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow. I would have bet my life the PS2 version was 4 player. My friends play it all the time and I always thought they were playing 4 player.
Old 02-21-02, 04:27 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Kellehair
Wow. I would have bet my life the PS2 version was 4 player. My friends play it all the time and I always thought they were playing 4 player.

I read several reviews of the PS2 version this morning before buying the GCN version and several of them expressed dissappointment in the lack of a 4 player mode.

But as I edited in above, I don't think a 4 player mode would work real well in this game.
Old 02-22-02, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have NBA Street, and I think it's the best arcade-style basketball game to date. Only major gripe is the long load times. Maybe it'd be ok if the only long load time was before a game began. But there is a long pause when changing faces/outfits/shoes on the create player screen. That's not really acceptable considering other games like NFL2K2 do it without the load times.

As for 4 player support, I'm disappointed that they didn't do it, but what I really wish they did was add mass-multiplayer support. Isn't the PS2 supposed to be capable of supporting 8 players through the use of 2 multitaps? Doing that would certainly allow all 6 players on the court to be controlled by human players, and it would make it the definitive party game.
Old 02-22-02, 11:13 AM

>Only major gripe is the long load times. Maybe it'd be ok if the only long load time was before a game began. But there is a long pause when changing faces/outfits/shoes on the create player screen. <

That's one of the things they fixed for the Cube version. The load times are much better, and from what I saw (little so far, but enough to see) the player create screens didn't suffer from the huge delay like the PS2 version.

--Craig
Old 02-26-02, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, IGN's review is up. They gave it 8's across the board and a Final Score of 8.6. Unfortunately the review didn't mention the load times though. Anyone who owns the game and has played the PS2 version care to comment on them?
Old 02-26-02, 12:45 AM

Actually the review does say one thing about the load times:
"Improved load times" is listed as one of the features of the game at the beginning of the review. Not much info, though.
Old 02-26-02, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

No 4 player?

Ouch!

Yeah, it may play better with only 2, but you could go 4 player in nba jam... Besides, if it didn't work I think people just wouldn't play it. Would be nice to have the option.

At least they fixed the load times some. Unlike Madden!
Old 02-26-02, 10:38 AM

I'll have to do a closer comparison later before I send off my PS2 Street (sold it on ebay, gotta love ebay).. But overall load times and memory card saves are noticeably faster. People have said that the player creation had long load times on PS2 so I need to try it again and see, but the Gamecube player create has very little load time.. Overall it feels like a better, more polished game.

If you could sell your old one it's worth an upgrade, but I wouldn't buy it new if you can't get decent $$ for the PS2 version.

I REALLY hope EA changes their ways next year and makes the X-box and Gamecube versions of games better/enhanced from the PS2 versions instead of a straight port months later with a bit of eye candy for the difference.
Old 02-26-02, 11:46 PM
Retired

Originally posted by RCL66

I REALLY hope EA changes their ways next year and makes the X-box and Gamecube versions of games better/enhanced from the PS2 versions instead of a straight port months later with a bit of eye candy for the difference.
I'd imagine that from now on the majority of EAs games will come out at the same time on all three systems. All three systems are out, so they have the same amount of time to develop the games for each system, where as this year they had the PS2 development kits for a couple years, and had not had the GCN/X-box kits as long.
Old 02-27-02, 12:17 AM
Shawn

NBA Street on Xbox?!?

I heard that NBA Street wasn't coming out on Xbox. Is it? I hope it does because that game is awesome! I've only played it on the PS2 and my only problem with it were the load times but I'll bet they fix that on the Xbox version like they did on the GameCube.

Old 02-27-02, 12:39 AM
Mod Emeritus

There's supposed to be a newer version of the game coming to Xbox with different players. It's also coming to the PS2 at the same time.
Old 02-27-02, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

According to this IGN article:

http://cube.ign.com/articles/100/100363p1.html

NBA Street 2 will hit Gamecube, PS2, and Xbox sometime in 2003...
Old 02-27-02, 03:07 AM
Mod Emeritus

My bad, this is what I was thinking of: (originally posted by Flay)

"No NBA Street. But Activision is making Street Hoops for the XBox and PS2. Here is a description:

Activision has announced that it plans to release a street basketball game aptly titled Street Hoops for the Sony PlayStation 2 and the Microsoft Xbox. It is being developed by Black Ops Entertainment, which worked on such sports series as Knockout Kings and March Madness. The courts are based in real-world parks in 10 US cities. Adding to the authenticity, Activision plans to include a variety of street-ball players, who were featured in the legendary And 1 Mix Tapes and in Nike's "freestyle" commercial series.

"Street Hoops will be the most authentic street basketball game ever released," said Larry Goldberg, executive vice president of Activision Worldwide Studios. "The game returns basketball to its roots, when being the best meant you ruled as king of the playground court. Street Hoops will not only focus on the action and showboating of street basketball, but will also include the popular culture and lifestyle that surrounds it."

The primary modes of play in the game are world tournament, king of the court, multiplayer versus mode, and half-court. Players will be able to bet on games and earn money to buy licensed urban gear such as Sean John, Ecko Unlimited, Southpole, and Pure Playaz. A hip-hop soundtrack will be included to further accentuate the urban style of the game."

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/storie...2809927,00.html
Old 02-27-02, 12:58 PM

Does the gamecube version support 480p? What about 16:9?

--mike
Old 02-27-02, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Gamespot gave NBA Street Gamecube an 8.8! Check out their review:

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...851268,00.html

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.