Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

What is UP with the PS2 Memory Cards?!?

Old 02-18-02, 11:40 AM

What is UP with the PS2 Memory Cards?!?

This may be old news, but what gives with the total lack of supply of PS2 Memory Cards? I bought my system a couple weeks ago and have now checked SEVENTEEN stores in 3 cities, and no one has any memory cards in stock! Is there a chip shortage going on somewhere? Is this a nationwide thing, or just centralized around me in the midwest?

It kinda sucks, because I have four games already, but don't want to play them really, cuz I will have to re-do all my work (for instance, I finished 27% of Jak and Daxter the other night and then had to shut it off at the end of the night. Argh!)

More importantly, does anyone have a PS2 memory card they are looking to sell (reasonably)? I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks.
Old 02-18-02, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've seen them in the Midwest (Twin Cities, MN). Where are you at?
Old 02-18-02, 01:22 PM

Central Illinois (Peoria)
Old 02-18-02, 01:34 PM

It does seem to be a problem.

A friend of mine got a PS2 a few weeks ago and couldn't find a memory card in town, so he ordered one off of Sony's website.

-Jason
Old 02-18-02, 01:58 PM
Admin Emeritus

Oh, no! I need one! Hope it's a local shortage (sorry) and not a national one.

I really don't understand why Sony doesn't just package them with their PS2 systems. Oh, wait, yes I do... to keep PS2-related costs hidden (extra controller, memory card, S-video/component cables, etc). Not that I mind that much.
Old 02-18-02, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hmmm...that is weird. Not available at Amazon.

I got my PS2 right before Xmas at Funcoland and bought a memory card at the same time. No problems, and that was at the Mall of America in Bloomington, MN. Haven't really kept an eye on it since, but I would try online stores.
Old 02-18-02, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

There everywhere in Tampa.
Old 02-18-02, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have only seen them in one store

here in the phoenix area. You can find the other brands everywhere, like the interact. I bought one just because I hadn't found the sony yet. I need to go buy a sony though because loading drivers for the interact sucks.

edit: Looks like circuitcity.com has them.

Circuit City

Last edited by s}{ammer; 02-18-02 at 02:56 PM.
Old 02-18-02, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

pretty annoying, isn't it?

I live in Champaign, IL and I couldn't find one for a week. Checked all the stores around here. Then I checked online. It seems all the major online retailers are out of stock too. Amazon, Buy.com, ebgames.com. I remember last week, unopened new Sony 8MB cards were going for up to $50 on ebay.

Try ordering from the lesser-known online retailers. They seem to have some. I ordered mine recently from www.therage.com. You can also try www.ncsx.com.
Old 02-18-02, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've got an extra one that is still sealed. It's a Sony 8 MB that looks just like this except the store price tag is on it. Email me if you'd like to trade for it. I'm [+7] on the GTL.

traded- that was quick.

Last edited by J-Dubya; 02-18-02 at 03:39 PM.
Old 02-18-02, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm buying a PS2 soon, upgrading from a PS. Can I use my old memory card to transfer any saved games to a PS2 card or am I pretty much shafted on any games I haven't completed by then?
Old 02-18-02, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Caoimhin
I'm buying a PS2 soon, upgrading from a PS. Can I use my old memory card to transfer any saved games to a PS2 card or am I pretty much shafted on any games I haven't completed by then?
Actually you have to use an old PS card to save PS games to. A PS2 card will not load or save PS games.
Old 02-18-02, 03:32 PM

Just keep your old memory cards. You can store your PS1 saves (deleting them for space if you need it for more PS1 games) on a PS2 card, but you can't save/load them from a PS2 card.
Old 02-18-02, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So the backwards-compatibility extends to the memory cards as well? I can just plug in my old card and save/load PS1 games to it, but not PS2 games, right?
Old 02-18-02, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So the backwards-compatibility extends to the memory cards as well? I can just plug in my old card and save/load PS1 games to it, but not PS2 games, right?
Yup.

I noticed this shortage here as well... They're in very low supply.
Old 02-18-02, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How good are Nyko mem cards? I just found these here with licensed magicgate technology from sony. A little spendy but hey, can't find the other ones so....

http://www.funco.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=801211
Old 02-18-02, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by s}{ammer
How good are Nyko mem cards? I just found these here with licensed magicgate technology from sony. A little spendy but hey, can't find the other ones so....

If you can't get the Sony brand, I would suggest either the Nyko or MadCatz brand (because of the magicgate technology).
Old 02-18-02, 04:07 PM

Originally posted by s}{ammer

Be forewarned that they have these SAME memory cards at Circuit City.com for $29.99

I was hoping to avoic buying online, cuz I figure the minute I do, I will start seeing them everywhere at B&Ms. Plus, I was really hoping for Sony Brand.
Old 02-18-02, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It also extends to the PS 1 controllers. I already had 2 Dual Shocks from my PS so when I got my PS2 I was up to 3 controllers. I went ahead and bought the ps2 multitap and only needed to get one more controller(I went with a Dual Shock 2). I'm digging the backwards compatibility from games and especially hardware.
Old 02-18-02, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have one of these and haven't had a problem yet. I got it on sale at TRU a few months back for $20 (the main reason i bought it). 38+shipping is quite a bit though, that and it is really ugly.

Last edited by mh4268; 02-18-02 at 05:09 PM.
Old 02-18-02, 05:05 PM

I always try to stick with namebrand when it comes to memory cards. When I had a PSX I tried some of the "Super"Memory cards and had some problems saving and loading some games. I never had a problem with any Sony cards.
Its not the years, its the mileage.
Old 02-18-02, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a Nyko memory card and it's great. IMO Sony doesn't always make quality products so I had no problem trying out a 3rd party memory card.
Old 02-19-02, 04:18 AM

A bit OT, but what is "GTL?" BTW, here in NYC I see Sony PS2 Memory Cards at every store I go into. If you still need one, e-mail me, and I'll pick one up and only charge you what I pay for it. Hope this helps.
Old 02-19-02, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

GTL?!!!

I think it is the Game Traders List. As for circuit city.com I went there last night and when you try to check out with either of those items they are not in stock.
Old 02-19-02, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Zim Hosein
but what is "GTL?"
actually it means Good Trader List.

here's a link from the video game exchange forum:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=176838

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.