DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   What is UP with the PS2 Memory Cards?!? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/184863-what-up-ps2-memory-cards.html)

jmclemore 02-18-02 10:40 AM

What is UP with the PS2 Memory Cards?!?

This may be old news, but what gives with the total lack of supply of PS2 Memory Cards? I bought my system a couple weeks ago and have now checked SEVENTEEN stores in 3 cities, and no one has any memory cards in stock! Is there a chip shortage going on somewhere? Is this a nationwide thing, or just centralized around me in the midwest?

It kinda sucks, because I have four games already, but don't want to play them really, cuz I will have to re-do all my work (for instance, I finished 27% of Jak and Daxter the other night and then had to shut it off at the end of the night. Argh!)

More importantly, does anyone have a PS2 memory card they are looking to sell (reasonably)? I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks.

skar 02-18-02 12:12 PM

I've seen them in the Midwest (Twin Cities, MN). Where are you at?

jmclemore 02-18-02 12:22 PM

Central Illinois (Peoria)

Jason Reynolds 02-18-02 12:34 PM

It does seem to be a problem.

A friend of mine got a PS2 a few weeks ago and couldn't find a memory card in town, so he ordered one off of Sony's website.

-Jason

Static Cling 02-18-02 12:58 PM

Oh, no! I need one! Hope it's a local shortage (sorry) and not a national one.

I really don't understand why Sony doesn't just package them with their PS2 systems. Oh, wait, yes I do... to keep PS2-related costs hidden (extra controller, memory card, S-video/component cables, etc). :) Not that I mind that much.

Draven 02-18-02 01:11 PM

Hmmm...that is weird. Not available at Amazon.

I got my PS2 right before Xmas at Funcoland and bought a memory card at the same time. No problems, and that was at the Mall of America in Bloomington, MN. Haven't really kept an eye on it since, but I would try online stores.

tygloalex 02-18-02 01:28 PM

There everywhere in Tampa.

s}{ammer 02-18-02 01:49 PM

I have only seen them in one store

here in the phoenix area. You can find the other brands everywhere, like the interact. I bought one just because I hadn't found the sony yet. I need to go buy a sony though because loading drivers for the interact sucks.

edit: Looks like circuitcity.com has them.

Circuit City

Joshic 02-18-02 01:55 PM

pretty annoying, isn't it?

I live in Champaign, IL and I couldn't find one for a week. Checked all the stores around here. Then I checked online. It seems all the major online retailers are out of stock too. Amazon, Buy.com, ebgames.com. I remember last week, unopened new Sony 8MB cards were going for up to $50 on ebay.

Try ordering from the lesser-known online retailers. They seem to have some. I ordered mine recently from www.therage.com. You can also try www.ncsx.com.

J-Dubya 02-18-02 02:05 PM

I've got an extra one that is still sealed. It's a Sony 8 MB that looks just like this except the store price tag is on it. Email me if you'd like to trade for it. I'm [+7] on the GTL.
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...1.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

traded- that was quick.

Caoimhin 02-18-02 02:13 PM

I'm buying a PS2 soon, upgrading from a PS. Can I use my old memory card to transfer any saved games to a PS2 card or am I pretty much shafted on any games I haven't completed by then?

skar 02-18-02 02:30 PM

Originally posted by Caoimhin
I'm buying a PS2 soon, upgrading from a PS. Can I use my old memory card to transfer any saved games to a PS2 card or am I pretty much shafted on any games I haven't completed by then?
Actually you have to use an old PS card to save PS games to. A PS2 card will not load or save PS games.

Mattalos 02-18-02 02:32 PM

Just keep your old memory cards. You can store your PS1 saves (deleting them for space if you need it for more PS1 games) on a PS2 card, but you can't save/load them from a PS2 card.

Caoimhin 02-18-02 02:35 PM

So the backwards-compatibility extends to the memory cards as well? I can just plug in my old card and save/load PS1 games to it, but not PS2 games, right?

Johnny Zhivago 02-18-02 02:42 PM

So the backwards-compatibility extends to the memory cards as well? I can just plug in my old card and save/load PS1 games to it, but not PS2 games, right?
Yup.

I noticed this shortage here as well... They're in very low supply.

s}{ammer 02-18-02 02:44 PM

How good are Nyko mem cards? I just found these here with licensed magicgate technology from sony. A little spendy but hey, can't find the other ones so....

http://www.funco.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=801211

where 02-18-02 03:03 PM

Originally posted by s}{ammer
How good are Nyko mem cards? I just found these here with licensed magicgate technology from sony. A little spendy but hey, can't find the other ones so....

If you can't get the Sony brand, I would suggest either the Nyko or MadCatz brand (because of the magicgate technology).

jmclemore 02-18-02 03:07 PM

Originally posted by s}{ammer

Be forewarned that they have these SAME memory cards at Circuit City.com for $29.99

I was hoping to avoic buying online, cuz I figure the minute I do, I will start seeing them everywhere at B&Ms. Plus, I was really hoping for Sony Brand.

Cardiff Giant11 02-18-02 03:11 PM

It also extends to the PS 1 controllers. I already had 2 Dual Shocks from my PS so when I got my PS2 I was up to 3 controllers. I went ahead and bought the ps2 multitap and only needed to get one more controller(I went with a Dual Shock 2). I'm digging the backwards compatibility from games and especially hardware.

mh4268 02-18-02 04:01 PM

I have one of these and haven't had a problem yet. I got it on sale at TRU a few months back for $20 (the main reason i bought it). 38+shipping is quite a bit though, that and it is really ugly.

Lewsiv 02-18-02 04:05 PM

I always try to stick with namebrand when it comes to memory cards. When I had a PSX I tried some of the "Super"Memory cards and had some problems saving and loading some games. I never had a problem with any Sony cards.

Its not the years, its the mileage.

Kellehair 02-18-02 06:03 PM

I have a Nyko memory card and it's great. IMO Sony doesn't always make quality products so I had no problem trying out a 3rd party memory card.

Zim Hosein 02-19-02 03:18 AM

A bit OT, but what is "GTL?" BTW, here in NYC I see Sony PS2 Memory Cards at every store I go into. If you still need one, e-mail me, and I'll pick one up and only charge you what I pay for it. Hope this helps.

s}{ammer 02-19-02 11:47 AM

GTL?!!!

I think it is the Game Traders List. As for circuit city.com I went there last night and when you try to check out with either of those items they are not in stock.

where 02-19-02 12:28 PM

Originally posted by Zim Hosein
but what is "GTL?"
actually it means Good Trader List.

here's a link from the video game exchange forum:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=176838