DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Anyone playing the C&C Renegade demo? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/184424-anyone-playing-c-c-renegade-demo.html)

mrglass 02-16-02 11:28 AM

Anyone playing the C&C Renegade demo?

I've played about five games so far, and it's pretty cool. Teamwork is a must! In the first four games, everyone on my team pretty much did their own thing and we always got our butts handed to us. The last game, we started coordinating attacks and handily gave the other team a beat down.

I usually play as an engineer. I'm pretty much a liability as a shooter, so it's great that I can play as a character who helps others and stays out of firefights. Plus, I like sneaking into the other teams base and blowing up their buildings. :)

The only drawbacks I've seen thus far are issues with lag and vehicles. The problem with lag is pretty much self-explanatory. The issue with vehicles irks me to no end. In the game, you earn credits and can use them to buy vehicles from a terminal. I can't count the number of times that I've bought a vehicle and gone outside to get in it, only to discover that a teammate has already gotten inside it and has started to drive away. Westwood needs to implement some sort of fix where only someone who buys a vehicle can drive it (I have no problems with people who want to catch a ride, tho').

bdshort 02-16-02 01:27 PM

I was reading a lot of posts saying that it sucked over at the voodooextreme boards, so I held off. Plus the fact that there was a 3 hour wait at fileplanet... ;)

I may try it sometime. It sounds a bit like Tribes, which I havent played but I've watched people play, and it looks fun.

Brian

ScottMan 02-16-02 02:07 PM

I played it for roughly three hours yesterday afternoon. It's a good idea but implemented poorly. Vehicle/soldier balance needs to be tweaked and the purchasing system feels out of place; though I do like the idea of purchasing vehicles which pop out of the weapons factory--very true to C&C.

As for the lag, supposedly Westwood is on top of it. They say lag should be significantly reduced by the end of today. They also suggest filtering out all the non-dedicated servers before joining a game. Check out the page for more information on how to do so.

BluesNews has a list of mirrors for those looking to download the demo sometime this year. Check under Friday's update.

xmiyux 02-17-02 05:06 PM

I've put a good 5-6 hours into it and have been enjoying it once i found a couple relatively lag free servers. There definately needs to be some hardcore balancing though - that and the majority of people i've been playing with online have been morons who wouldn't know teamwork cooperation to organize an attack if it walked up and slapped them ;) Although i did get in a server with 2 other people who know how to work together and the three of us had a blast for a few hours..... except i hate playing GDI

RoQuEr 02-17-02 08:02 PM

it's fun, but my PC is a little slow, so I am usually an engineer. Snipers are very powerful cause of the openness of the levels. I find I usually kill about 5 times as many tanks as I do people, which sucks, cause only ppl kills show up on the stats. It's a little too easy to destroy the power plant. Also sucks that you can destroy the air strip without being targeted by the obelisk.

mrglass, I think it is an option. Some servers allow anyone in the vehicle, others only the buyer (till you get out the first time) Only problem is that once that is turned on, there can't be a driver and a gunner, which is alot of fun.

Jackskeleton 02-17-02 08:18 PM

You guys should have played the beta test version. now that was totally unbalanced. ;)

after taking out a few folks and getting enough to buy me Sakura I would go up against mamoth tanks and take them out with a sniper rifle. ;) my best was taking out 4 of them in one game. :) all by myself. now that was unbalanced. I found it fun as all hell, but the vehicle/soldier health factor should be fixed a bit.

xmiyux 02-17-02 10:44 PM

Heck it's still pretty much like that - if you are the guy with the railgun you can just waste the mammoth tanks at a nice distance - and since the railgun has a nice narrow shot you can shoot barely over a rock that blocks the mammoths return shots.... assuming of course you don't have to pick one of their "medic" units off first ;)

ScottMan 02-18-02 12:56 AM

I logged in a few more hours today. Lag is definitely clearing up, especially heeding Westwood's 'dedicated =1' advice. I'd say one thing Renegade has going for it--at least in this demo level--is there is no better team. I consistently win and lose on both teams. Does that make sense? Anyway, while I still think inter-unit balancing need to be tweaked, the balance overall between GDI and Nod appears to be spot on. And as mentioned by others, the meat and potatoes of this game is teamwork...more so than your run-of-the-mill capture the flag routine; Team Fortress is a suitable comparison. It's a fun demo for those who can withstand the beefy download.

RoQuEr 02-18-02 05:11 PM

OK, I'm hooked. There do seem to be some problems though. There aren't enough servers to go around yet, so it usually takes a while to get connected. If anyone knows of a PW protected server, let me know. Also, an engineer rush is way too easy, especially against NOD. One time 3 of us rushed thru their tunnel and each of us took a building. None of us died (sometimes you can survive a dirct obelisk hit. We didn't attack any of their structures so they didn't even know we were there. We all planted our C4 on the MCTs, and within 5 seconds, they went from full strength to having their power, hand of Nod, and refinery gone.

Some of the vehicles annoy me. If you are the driver of the medium tank and you have a gunner, you can't see anyhing. The nod APC doesn't turn right. The missile launcher doesn't have enough range. NOD has alot of good infantry, but nothing that really compares with the GDI patch and Gunner, both of which come cheap.

also I have no idea how points work. I'll kill a guy at the beginning 1:1 combat and hav 3 points at the end. But repairing and demolishing buikdings nets huge points, so I usually end up being vip.

RoQuEr 02-21-02 06:53 PM

hehe. I thought the NOd ravenclaw guy sucked, at least compared to the GSI ion cannon guy, but I just realized that the rail guy penetrates obstacles! I accientally shot at a guy who was behind a rock, and he died anyways.

I'm starting to think that Nod tanks are a little overpowered though. The flame tank will kick anybodies ass, and the black hand with the laser canon is the best bang for the buck.

xmiyux 02-21-02 08:31 PM

I finally gave up on playing it with all the lag and lack of servers and such... it actually kind of scares me that the thing went gold and will supposedly be in stores next week - hopefully a lot was changed from the patched download to what went to press - so instead i bought half-life and have been spending time getting killed over and over again on team fortress ;)

Jackskeleton 02-21-02 10:36 PM

Originally posted by xmiyux
I finally gave up on playing it with all the lag and lack of servers and such... it actually kind of scares me that the thing went gold and will supposedly be in stores next week - hopefully a lot was changed from the patched download to what went to press - so instead i bought half-life and have been spending time getting killed over and over again on team fortress ;)

try getting killed over and over again in Counter Strike. :)

xmiyux 02-22-02 12:03 AM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton

try getting killed over and over again in Counter Strike. :)

Heh, actually this evening i did play some CS... perhaps if i played with some friends who i could learn with it might be better - but the brief period i played CS consisted of me trying to figure out what the weapons i bought did and puzzle out how to identify who to shoot and who not to.... i don't think i ever did kill anyone.

However on team fortress at least the teams are clearly red and blue - at a distance - no mistaking who to shoot at... of course i rarely killed anyone in that either but that is more a sign of my lack of FPS skills.... makes me want to go back and play the first Alien vs. Predator - i was at least good at being an alien ;)

mrglass 02-25-02 07:31 AM

Originally posted by RoQuEr
mrglass, I think it is an option. Some servers allow anyone in the vehicle, others only the buyer (till you get out the first time) Only problem is that once that is turned on, there can't be a driver and a gunner, which is alot of fun. [/B]
I learned that after buying a vehicle, it's locked in such a way that no one except yourself can get in it as long as you get to it in 30 seconds. If 30 seconds go by and you still haven't gotten in it, the vehicle is up for grabs.

Tyler_Durden 02-28-02 01:25 PM

Originally posted by xmiyux
Heh, actually this evening i did play some CS... perhaps if i played with some friends who i could learn with it might be better
It's very easy to get into, and it's a LOT better than Team Fortress Classic. Basically, all the counter-terrorists (or CTs) are blue/grey and the terrorists have more colorful outfits. There are a few team-specific weapons (like the Steyer Aug, one of the game's best weapons) but most of them are the same for both sides, and not hard to handle once you get the hang of it. Hope you'll try it some more - it's definitely worth the hype.