Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Xbox question about Japanese Only Games...

Old 02-14-02, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Xbox question about Japanese Only Games...

Any chance that I'll be able to pick up a Japanese only title without too much hassle and that it will work on my US Xbox? My girlfriend really wants to get Style Laboratory when it comes out, but everything I've read says it'll be a Japan Only game. Otherwise, what's the chance that I'd be able to convince Microsoft to deliver this game to the US? Hmm? Slim to none?
Old 02-14-02, 10:13 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Good question.

It's exclusivity hasn't been announced yet. It's highly possible the title will be Japanese only.

But then again, I never thought Shikami Castle would come to the U.S. and now its scheduled for May. You will just have to take a wait and see approach.
Old 02-14-02, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Flay is right, its unannounced. Luckly for you however is that the games arn't region specific so you can import it really easily.

That's one of the features i really like about the xbox. It's certainly a double edge sword for MS, but cool for us.
Old 02-14-02, 11:36 AM

Are you sure about the region-less thing? I remember them announcing that when they announced the Xbox, but never heard anything about it again.

I guess we'll see on 2/22 ...
Old 02-14-02, 11:43 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Jeff is correct. Here is a story off ZDnet.

Microsoft to encourage multi-region Xbox games

Forthcoming games for Microsoft's Xbox console will have regional codes, but the software giant will urge software publishers to make them work in all territories.

In an interview with ZDNet's GameSpot Wednesday, Xbox general manager J Allard revealed there will be three region codes for Xbox games -- one for Europe, one for Japan and one for North America. Although a publisher would be able to restrict a game so that it only worked in one region, Microsoft will be encouraging game developers to let their releases run in all three territories.

Games consoles have historically been regionally encoded, much to the anger of gamers. While manufacturers claim the regional codes are necessary to prevent piracy, critics argue they are largely there to ensure maximum profits for each region machines are sold in.

In his interview Allard says the possibility that a software company would write a game for the Japanese market, and not release US or European versions is not something Microsoft wants to see. "We would urge them, but not require them, to allow it to run in Europe and the US."
Old 02-14-02, 12:00 PM

So it's not required? Ugh. I bet the few games I'd want to import would be region coded
Old 02-14-02, 12:11 PM

The Xbox does support game region encoding. This is independant of the DVD region encoding standards.

Last I heard, it was the decision of the Publisher as to whether a title would be region coded or not, but this could have changed.

If a title is region coded for only Japan, then it will not be playable in the US Xbox by default. Whether someone comes along and mod's the Xbox is a different story.

-Naan
Old 02-14-02, 02:50 PM

It would be great to be able to import games, but unfortunately I don't speak Japanese!

Most Japanese games are in Japanese, right?? I've never imported before...
Old 02-14-02, 03:56 PM

Originally posted by Thanh
Most Japanese games are in Japanese, right?? I've never imported before...
Nah, most games are in Spanish in Japan. Publishers like to make it a challenge for their customers to play their games. They're gonna start releasing French games in the US, so we all better start learning French!

Just kiddin', Thanh. Yeah, Japanese games are in Japanese. But if it's a really popular game you could find help for it on websites like gamefaqs.com or Message Boards.

BTW - Trigger, I've never heard of that game. What's it like?
Old 02-15-02, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
On a similar note, it looks as though Japan will be seeing Halo: http://xbox.ign.com/articles/324/324680p1.html

4/25 release date, but better late than never. Here's hoping it goes over as well there as it has here.

Tuan Jim
Old 02-15-02, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Mattalos

BTW - Trigger, I've never heard of that game. What's it like?
Style Laboratory is about fashion. The technology demo had some 3d rendered chick going up and down a runway. My girlfriend is really into fashion so this would be a game for her. She plays the sims alot, but only cuz she likes to make clothes for them and change their outfits and stuff. I think the likelyhood of this game being popular with men is nil. I also think the multiplayer aspect would be non-existant. Sounds like a cool game by the title though - like it's some game about making a techno mix or some slick car racing game or something...
Old 02-15-02, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The US XBOX is not region free......
Old 02-16-02, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by JaxComet
The US XBOX is not region free......
This I know - it's unfortunate though cuz the Xbox supposedly does perfect PAL conversion to NTSC, so it would be ideal as a Multiregion DVD player. Hopefully someone will figure out a hack for it.