Reload this Page >

who's getting State of Emergency?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 02-13-02, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is it the end of the world, chicken little? first, Grand Theft Auto 3 and now State of Emergency. will it be banned in Australia too?

it looks pretty good to me
Old 02-13-02, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm definitely waiting for the reviews. I have a bad feeling this game will be a HUGE let-down.
Old 02-13-02, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm waiting for reviews too. I have a fear it might be too short. I also fear that they haven't taken the hand-to-hand combat system beyond GTA3. I like the premise, I really like the side scrolling action games of old like Final Fight. I enjoyed Die Hard Arcade for the 20 minutes it took to beat it. I'm hoping IGN or somebody will have a review up soon with the game coming out in only 2 days.
Old 02-13-02, 10:58 PM

Circuit City has it listed for $39.99, so I'll price match it (plus save an extra 10%) and use the EGM $5 off coupon and get the game for about $34.99 plus tax.

Good times. Can't wait.
Old 02-13-02, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yup, i'm waiting for the reviews too. although, the pre-buzz seems to be pretty good, i wouldn't be suprised if it's not that great - but i hope it's good.
Old 02-13-02, 11:43 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Hope for IGN to post a review tonight. They haven't updated yet.
Old 02-14-02, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm also not buying until a valid US review comes out for it. I also have a feeling it will be a huge letdown. As for being short, I have glanced over the Strategy Guide at a local Best Buy and it says it has 185 missions although it sounds like you choose different colored missions, so the actual # of missions you play in a given game is obviously less than the 185 total. This is just my interpretation of what I read. To be honest, the Strategy Guide didn't look all that detailed.

I picked up Maximo, Star Wars: Racer Revenge and Super Mario World for GBA today. I have played Maximo and am waiting for at least one review of Racer before opening it. I think it will be good, but I just want my feelings confirmed. Have to be picky these days .
Old 02-14-02, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Definitely not buying until renting first... I got burned with Wreckless for the Xbox - this looks like the same situation, but who knows. My roommate has the PS2 so I guess I'm speaking on his behalf since he'd be the one buying it, but he's in agreement with me. Reviews Schmews cuz someone gave Wreckless a 9/10 and um... I don't think so...
Old 02-14-02, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
Definitely not buying until renting first... I got burned with Wreckless for the Xbox - this looks like the same situation, but who knows. My roommate has the PS2 so I guess I'm speaking on his behalf since he'd be the one buying it, but he's in agreement with me. Reviews Schmews cuz someone gave Wreckless a 9/10 and um... I don't think so...
Well, you can't just base your purchase on 'somone giving it a 9/10.' Have you tried www.gamerankings.com ? Here's a few listed on there. http://www.teamxbox.com/staffscore.php?id=39
http://www.gaming-age.com/cgi-bin/re...game=wreckless
Old 02-14-02, 11:13 AM

What store lets you pricematch a game?? i've been trying to find for a while...
Old 02-14-02, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by dasmooth1
What store lets you pricematch a game?? i've been trying to find for a while...
Circuit City, Best Buy, Electronics Boutique, Toys R Us, Target and Wal-Mart all price match. And those are just stores in my area, I'm sure places like Frys and Virgin would do that as well.

EDIT: You do need to bring in an ad to most of those places or you'll be sitting there waiting for them to call the store and many of these stores will only price match if the store they are calling have any in stock (pretty anal, eh?)
Old 02-14-02, 12:53 PM

Originally posted by Mattalos
Circuit City has it listed for $39.99, so I'll price match it (plus save an extra 10%) and use the EGM $5 off coupon and get the game for about $34.99 plus tax.

Good times. Can't wait.
I thought that the circuit city price was for last weeks ad, I called circuit city and they verified that the price was a mistake..would these other stores still honor the price even though the date was from a week ago and incorrect?

I have a best buy near me and would like to know before shelling out the 55 bucks every other store seems to be charging...
Old 02-14-02, 12:55 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Even if it's HALF as good as GTA3 it'd still be genius. That's why I preordered mine.
Old 02-14-02, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by G. Noel Gross
Even if it's HALF as good as GTA3 it'd still be genius. That's why I preordered mine.
Let me warn you of something, if you are expecting a game like GTA3 you will be SEVERELY disappointed. This is part of the problem with this game...it has GTA3 to live up to and will be rated based on GTA3 even though it has little to nothing in common with GTA3.

This game is coming closer and closer to a huge disappointment. With no review site having anything up on release day is a bad sign for a game that has been done since at least January. You can usually tell what the good and bad games are by how far in advance they are reviewed.

I'm still waiting on a Racer Revenge review before opening my copy. This game went gold early this month, so it has a little more of a leeway than SoE has.

And I could be totally wrong about this as well
Old 02-14-02, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wait a sec. You already bought a game and wont open it until you read a review? Why did you get the game? Why are you putting so much stock in a review or 2? If you already bought the game, then you obviously are interested in it. Play it.

D
Old 02-14-02, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by dasmooth1

I thought that the circuit city price was for last weeks ad, I called circuit city and they verified that the price was a mistake..would these other stores still honor the price even though the date was from a week ago and incorrect?

I have a best buy near me and would like to know before shelling out the 55 bucks every other store seems to be charging...
it's still listed on their site as 39.99 i assume that next weeks ad will have it listed the same. I'm waiting to pricematch then. I'll probably pick this up. The concept sounds cool, and I'm not using gt3 as a ruler. It's completely different. besides i have several best buy gifts cards to use plus the 5.00 coupon from EGM
Old 02-14-02, 02:42 PM

Originally posted by Derrich
Wait a sec. You already bought a game and wont open it until you read a review? Why did you get the game? Why are you putting so much stock in a review or 2? If you already bought the game, then you obviously are interested in it. Play it.

D
I do that sometimes. When games are first release they seem to be their cheapest. But alot of times their is no review anywhere for it yet. so ill buy a game when its on sale leave it on the cofee table and when i hear some more feedback about it ill either keep it or return it.
Old 02-14-02, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Derrich
If you really want to know...last night I had the option of 3 games to choose from to play: Maximo, Super Mario World and Racer Revenge. I started to play Maximo and didn't quit until I went to bed. Therefore I can afford the luxury to wait for a review on Racer Revenge before opening it because I probably won't be playing games tonight since my wife and I are going to dinner and possibly a movie.

I buy lots of Star Wars games and have been disappointed in the past which also adds to the "wait for a review" mentality. Also, if SoE happens to get a good review I MAY bring back Racer Revenge and get SoE in exchange for it and then get Racer Revenge later or I may just buy SoE and keep Revenge...who knows.

I know it sounds like weird logic but I had the luxury last night to choose from games. I usually don't have this luxury of buying many games in one week.
Old 02-14-02, 03:58 PM

Nah, this weeks CC ad has State of Emergency advertised for $39.99. Just pick up a copy at their store.
Old 02-14-02, 05:01 PM

Has anyone noticied the real lack of consistency in reviews lately across all the big game sites (IGN, Gamespot, Gamers.com). It seems like one site loves a game and the other is not really impressed. (Wreckless, WWF...). And the amount of reviews showing up before or right when a game is released has dropped off.. Strange.

As for Racer Revenge, it is way to quiet for such a huge game release.
Old 02-14-02, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by RCL66
As for Racer Revenge, it is way to quiet for such a huge game release.
Exactly one of the reasons I'm not opening it yet. I wouldn't say it's been quiet, you can now see ads for it all over Gamespot. I think it has been put on the PR back burner by LucasArts because Jedi Starfighter (PS2) and Jedi Knight II: Outcast (PC) is on the horizon. The latter I have heard is going to revolutionize FPS and gives a good idea of what Doom 3 (or is it Quake 4...I forget which one Raven is doing, probably Quake) is going to look and play like (same developer).

Racer Revenge was also not developed by LucasArts and even though their other games have been well liked I still waver on this game.
Old 02-14-02, 05:57 PM

cool, so CC still has it for 39.99? thats great news, so far i've checked best buy, electronics boutique, and software etc. and they all have a price of 50 or above...the pricematch would be a great deal..anyone know a store that has 110% pricematch, like a staples does...that would make it a sweeter deal
Old 02-14-02, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Who'll be the first to play SoE and give feedback in this thread? (the hardest part would be to put the controller down if it really is that good!)
Old 02-14-02, 06:34 PM

>I wouldn't say it's been quiet, you can now see ads for it all over Gamespot. I think it has been put on the PR back burner by

True.. Although by quiet I mean no hands on impressions and no screen shots and movies based on a beta or final copy yet.

> The latter I have heard is going to revolutionize FPS

While I can't wait for Jedi Knight 2, I doubt it will revolutionize the FPS. They have had a pretty short development time and it looks like it's just the logical progression from Jedi Knight. But if they make it as good as Jedi Knight with Q3 engine graphics it will be awesome fun!

>Racer Revenge was also not developed by LucasArts and even though their other games have been well liked I still waver on this game.<

The thing with Racer Revenge is that it was developed by Rainbow Studios, same people that made ATV Offroad and Splashdown.. Both of those games looked amazing and played well, but I felt that they were missing something, the spark so to speak. The cheap rubber band AI in ATV was really annoying, and both games just felt sort of fake, not like real racing.. It's hard to explain, but I know I am not the only one to share that view. At the same time, alot of people loved those games so it might be a personal taste issue.

Make sure to post if you do crack open Racer Revenge!

btw - Mario Advance 2 is killer!
Old 02-14-02, 07:09 PM

Videogamereview.com has some reviews.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.