DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   So, you got Sonic Advance and Mario Advance 2, which do you prefer?! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/183374-so-you-got-sonic-advance-mario-advance-2-do-you-prefer.html)

YujiNaka 02-13-02 12:20 AM

So, you got Sonic Advance and Mario Advance 2, which do you prefer?!

So you got Sonic Advance and Super Mario Advance 2... Which do you prefer?!?!

I would have to say I have put more hours into Sonic Advance so far, but I am a Sonic Team "fanboy" as well as I have had it longer...

They are both great games, and a strong week for the Game Boy Advance...

I imagine I will play through Super Mario World once and then tinker with it a bit afterwords, whereas I see Sonic Advance having levels I want to reply just for the fun of it, as thats how it was with the old Sonic games alot (Sonic 2 I was heavily into playing those first 3 levels all the time..) Also having problems with the bonus levels, so those will take a while...

Anyways, I think they are both great games, and with Wario Land 4, I have alot of GBA gaming to last me for a while...

Anyone getting Puyo Pop or Columns this week? Do they came out this week?

Eternia 02-13-02 09:03 AM

I had to force myself not to buy Sonic Advance last week. I mean, I just don't see it as being worth $34.99. SMA2 is going to be showing up in your Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target at $25.99 - $29.99 and I know that is at a case only a $5 difference, but that is another case of blank tapes I need for my tv shows. I will pick up Sonic Advance is there is a price drop - or if I get a coupon or GC via Amazon, I really want to play it. Who knows, after I beat SMA2, I may end up selling it, then buying Sonic. Only time will tell. However, I am interested on seeing everyone's opinion on which game is better. I myself have always liked the Mario games better than Sonic. Even in their cartoon series. :D

Maquis 02-13-02 09:45 AM

Well I haven't picked up SMA2 yet, and I can't decide if I will. Since I can still sit down and play Mario World on my SNES, I just can't seem to justify the purchase.

On the other hand, I think Sonic Adv. is great. Sure there aren't as many levels, but it just feels like there is tons more replay value. Doing the time trials is fun, and on top of everything else, I am probably going to pick up Sonic Adventure 2 Battle this week, and I think the GC -> GBA connectivity is a cool idea. I do hope to see more cool uses for it in the future.

So my vote goes for the speedy blue hedgehog.

Aghama 02-13-02 09:57 AM

I don't have either, but since no Sonic game has ever touched Super Mario World (or just about any other SM game), I'll go out on a limb and say Mario.

Josh H 02-13-02 12:09 PM

Originally posted by Aghama
I don't have either, but since no Sonic game has ever touched Super Mario World (or just about any other SM game), I'll go out on a limb and say Mario.

Same here. I always preferred the gameplay in the mario games, plus Super Mario World is my second favorite game of all time. :D

I'd love to pick up both, but I'm short on cash, and I'm going to try to pick up SMA2 afterwhile, probably trade in THPS3 (GCN).

wildcatlh 02-13-02 12:13 PM

Picked up SMA2 this morning at Best Buy (woohoo, cheap).... haven't put it down. Picked up Sonic Advance last week. I like SMA2 better (but Sonic Advance is good in its own right)

slop101 02-13-02 04:14 PM

SMA:2 is the better game BY FAR - as it is a great port of one of the greatest platformers ever made.

Having said that: I prefer the new Sonic Advance just because it's a new game and I've never played it. Whereas I've played through Mario World on the SNES countless times over the years and as recently as last month.

But if both were fresh new games: Sonic Advance is a great new game and SMBA:2 is the greatest 2-d action game ever made.

YujiNaka 02-13-02 06:22 PM

I see alot of people considering Super Mario World the greatest 2d game of all time..

I would personally have to say I am not sure I agree with that..

Sonic 2 is the game I played the most ever as a 2d game, simply because I loved to replay it.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles would also get a heavy vote, as it seems to be the "best" Sonic game ever to many sonic fans... If you are upset with Sonic games being short, Sonic3&Knuckles made up for that... Of course, you had to buy two separate games to have the full game, but thats another issue.

I personally never got into Super Mario World when released, but I am enjoying it greatly now... I still prefer the Sonic style of gameplay, but SMW is definately awesome.

I would have to say that I consider Super Mario Bros 3 just as good though!

If anyone likes these two gamesl, definately pick up Wario Land 4.. its a great game too..

Speaking of Wario, anyone ever played Wario Land for Virtual Boy, now that was a good 2d (3d?) game!

-Jim