DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   question about dvd playback on PS2 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/183228-question-about-dvd-playback-ps2.html)

s}{ammer 02-12-02 04:35 PM

question about dvd playback on PS2

How is the DVD playback on the PS2 compared to an older DVD player? I have a Panasonic A120 and if I will not lose quality I would like to replace the DVD player with the PS2. Anyone have input on this?

Kellehair 02-12-02 04:38 PM

I don't know anything about your DVD player but I do think the DVD playback on the PS2 is poor.

Trigger 02-12-02 05:11 PM

My roommate has a PS2 and the DVD playback is ok - we put in The Cell and it wasn't bad quality - I think the playback is almost equivalent to a low end player that's a few years old. It'll do if you are wanting to replace what you have. You'll want to buy a remote though since using a controller to navigate a DVD menu is kinda silly and akward. Only problem is the remote receiver takes up a memory card slot.

seeyouauntie 02-12-02 05:30 PM

Originally posted by Trigger
My roommate has a PS2 and the DVD playback is ok - we put in The Cell and it wasn't bad quality - I think the playback is almost equivalent to a low end player that's a few years old. It'll do if you are wanting to replace what you have. You'll want to buy a remote though since using a controller to navigate a DVD menu is kinda silly and akward. Only problem is the remote receiver takes up a memory card slot.
Controller slot actually.

darkside 02-12-02 06:38 PM

The quality is decent and in line with most low end players I've seen. The newest version of the drivers that comes with the Sony Remote seems to have eliminated most of the problems with discs not working. All new PS2s have these drivers built in.

I've compared it to my Onkyo C600 and Sony S300 through the S-video. The C600 was much better, but is has enhanced black level and that really makes a difference. It also uses Toshiba technology and seems to have a slightly sharper picture than Sony models. It compared close to my Sony S300, but in somes scenes the S300 seemed to look better. I ocassionaly noticed what seemed like some slight artifacts on the PS2, but the differences were not anything drastic and on casual watching I may not have even noticed any difference.

I think the PS2 could be used as a DVD player, but make sure and get the Sony remote for an extra $20. Its a hassle to use a controller.

Lethal Nemesis 02-12-02 08:28 PM

The DVD playback quality of the PS2 is average; not horrible by any means, but not as good as most stand alone players.

young 02-12-02 08:54 PM

having a relatively crappy home theater system - 32" tv and 27" tv, i can't tell the difference between my toshiba, sampo and ps2 dvd players... but i'm happy w/ all 3.

V-ism 02-13-02 02:40 AM

Quality isn't bad, it just has a lot of compatibility issues.

MasterofDVD 02-13-02 03:47 AM

I think I've only ever used my PS2 to watch DVD one time. and that was the day I bought it to test it out.

For an all-in-one unit it's okay. But I'd certainly not use it for a back up if my Sony player died. I was thinking about putting my PS2 in the bedroom so I wouldn't have to use my DVD-ROM for movies but I passed on that and just bought a portable player.

Out of all 4 players the PS2 is the last on my list for a DVD player.

I would say spend the cash on a mid grade DVD player and you'll be much happier. Unless you can live with the play back since you'll also have the option to play video games. It's a toss up.

mvc 02-13-02 04:20 AM

Have you guys tried the component outputs for PS2? I've been wondering if I should buy the Monster Cable Component set. Right now I'm just using the standard video cable. I don't use my PS2 as a DVD player, but I'm wondering if the in-game graphics become better. Any comparisons from current users on both the DVD and in-game quality using regular AV, S-Video, and Component? Thanks.

Trigger 02-13-02 04:37 AM

Originally posted by seeyouauntie

Controller slot actually.

Well what do I know? :)

I knew I'd get it wrong. But doesn't it take up a controller slot but give you a slot for your controller so you don't really lose a controller slot? And doesn't it block your memory card slot because it is bulky? That's how I remember it being. Perhaps I'm wrong (of course I am...)... anyway - it's something like that. I could go in the other room and look... yup I'm wrong. :) The bulk goes below the controller slot leaving just enough room for a memory card so I guess you don't lose anything. Just forget I was here. (hides)

Fanboy 02-13-02 08:20 AM

Originally posted by mvc
Have you guys tried the component outputs for PS2? I've been wondering if I should buy the Monster Cable Component set. Right now I'm just using the standard video cable. I don't use my PS2 as a DVD player, but I'm wondering if the in-game graphics become better. Any comparisons from current users on both the DVD and in-game quality using regular AV, S-Video, and Component? Thanks.
Changing cables will result in an increase in clarity of image, not better graphics. I noticed a huge change from the RF hookup I had to endure for the first 3 months of PS2 ownership (shudder). I then tried out the composite, then S-video and finally Component and saw a resulting increase in picture clarity and colour definition with each cable change (both in-game and DVD).

I used my 32" Sharp for tests. But of course, depending on your monitor, YMMV.

s}{ammer 02-13-02 08:28 AM

Thanks

for all the feedback. I am using the crappy cables that came with it for now but I am probably going to pick up the S-video cable here soon. I think I will just experiment with it for awhile. I have my DVD setup for video 1 and PS2 on video 2. So I think I will put my digital cable box back on analog since I really only get one HBO that is in Dolby and then I can put both my DVD and PS2 on Digital for my receiver. Then I can have both for awhile to test them out. Your comments helped though, as usual DVD talk members come through. Oh, I did go buy a mad catz dvd 2 remote. It is not bulky and it works well. The only problem I had was my vcr code isn't right. That's what I get for having an admiral vcr, yes I never use the damn thing. Only for recording Bronco games. :)

gcribbs 02-13-02 11:52 AM

Re: Thanks

Originally posted by s}{ammer
for all the feedback. I am using the crappy cables that came with it for now but I am probably going to pick up the S-video cable here soon. I think I will just experiment with it for awhile. I have my DVD setup for video 1 and PS2 on video 2. So I think I will put my digital cable box back on analog since I really only get one HBO that is in Dolby and then I can put both my DVD and PS2 on Digital for my receiver. Then I can have both for awhile to test them out. Your comments helped though, as usual DVD talk members come through. Oh, I did go buy a mad catz dvd 2 remote. It is not bulky and it works well. The only problem I had was my vcr code isn't right. That's what I get for having an admiral vcr, yes I never use the damn thing. Only for recording Bronco games. :)
the only problem with the mad catz remote is that you do not get the dvd driver update. this helped many people. I would return the mad catz remote and get the Sony and the dvd driver update. of course if your model has the new driver then :o

s}{ammer 02-13-02 01:08 PM

driver

Well, I did just buy mine last weekend so it should have the new driver shouldn't it? How can you tell if it has the new driver?

darkside 02-13-02 01:33 PM

If you just bought it new it will have the new driver. Models with the new driver have an R at the end of the model number.