DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   I think I'm going to start a game console site (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/182932-i-think-im-going-start-game-console-site.html)

Cyberock 02-11-02 07:41 PM

I think I'm going to start a game console site

I'm really tired of searching a bunch of sites every night to find all the info I want. I'd like to have one site where it is all centered. I'm thinking about starting my own site. Just wondering what type of stuff would people like to see on a new game site? Anyone interested in helping writing articles, reviews, and etc.?

Flay 02-11-02 08:15 PM

I think everyone around here is waiting for videogametalk.com to materialize.

We just never know when or if it will happen.

Gallant Pig 02-11-02 08:35 PM

Video game talk will be nice. Hopefully Geoff will give a lot of us here a chance to contribute.

Centurion 02-11-02 09:39 PM

Wouldn't you still have to search around the net to find content for your website? ;)

Anyway, are you going to make it console specific or do you plan on covering multiple consoles?

Gallant Pig 02-11-02 09:42 PM

Geoff wants multi-console and is aiming at the not-so-hardcore gamer.

Cyberock 02-11-02 09:56 PM

I'm looking to cover multi console. Already talked to a buddy of mine who has a web server so I have a host. Working on programming the site as I write this. Looking forward to getting it up and going...hopefully by the end of month.

Dragon Fly 02-12-02 12:59 AM

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
Geoff wants multi-console and is aiming at the not-so-hardcore gamer.
I'm sure that even if it's aimed at part time gamers, there will still be spots for die hards. When it comes to rpgs i'm diehard, everything else i'm more or less part time.

todd

AgtFox 02-12-02 08:44 AM

I just became part of a new console site that's been brewing in the background of a semi-major PC game site for a time. We just went live on Friday. Seems to be going good...I just need more games to play so I can review more.

At least I'm getting to do what I always wanted to, which is writing about video games.

squidget 02-12-02 08:50 AM

Originally posted by AgtFox
I just became part of a new console site that's been brewing in the background of a semi-major PC game site for a time. We just went live on Friday. Seems to be going good...I just need more games to play so I can review more.

At least I'm getting to do what I always wanted to, which is writing about video games.

very cool.... I'm trying to get into that myself. I write reviews for hardware and whatnot (just did one for the ipod) in a local paper. In my heart i wanna get into to console gaming writing. It's kinda of annoying trying to find reviews on the net gotta go to multiple sites. I get frustrated and just buy the game now and give them to my cousins as xmas/b-day gifts if i don't like it

jeffdsmith 02-12-02 08:55 AM

I'd be willing to help you out.

Lewsiv 02-12-02 09:15 AM

Yeah, I'd be willing to help you out too.

Dragon Fly 02-12-02 09:22 AM

Write me down as willing to contribute as well :) I love doing reviews.

todd

Cyberock 02-12-02 11:31 AM

I just want to say "thanks" to all those who have offered to help so far. I will be emailing you towards the end of the week. I'm working on a name for the site right now and getting the server ready for it.

AgtFox 02-12-02 11:44 AM

Depending on what type of site/mission ideas you have, I would be interested in joining up. I accepted the other job because I wasn't going to wait around for Geoff to get VGT started.

squidget 02-12-02 11:51 AM

Add me to the list...
anything sega, i got you covered...

Dragon Fly 02-12-02 12:28 PM

I had joined a site to be a contributing member, but the site was in the process of closing which i didnt know. Oh well. They used to get a list of all the games that were coming out and then divided them between the systems they had, and the game companies used to send them pre release copies of the games to review.

todd

Tuan Jim 02-12-02 06:46 PM

Love to try writing about something like this. I was webmastering a game site (check my sig), but we've pretty much shut down the site. As an "official" fan site, we were mostly the main forums and whatnot, but I don't have the time to keep moderating all the time, and the site owner couldn't afford the bandwidth from us hosting major game files (500+mb files). Disappointingly the game company ran out of money and launched waaay too early. The game has a lot of potential, but at this stage, it's really frustrating, and IMO isn't worth my time. Also disappointing since I wrote to them sooo many times outlining specific problems and whatnot months before launch and although they seemed to have been considering some stuff, a lot of problems that they knew about months before were never fixed even by the time open beta rolled around, much less the launch.

oh well. I'll check back in a couple months too see if things have improved (assuming they're still alive), but I'm not expecting too much. Too bad really, cuz I needed a good scifi mmorpg fix.

Tuan Jim

Cyberock 02-13-02 02:19 AM

Still working away on this. Already registered a domain name too. Looking like I may have something up by sometime next week. Just give you an idea, my plan is to cover PS2, Gamecube, XBOX, and of course, Dreamcast. I might even venture into PC gaming after the first phase is done. It's going to be designed like a huge community. It will be a membership site, a FREE membership site. Don't understand the idea of paying to view articles or pictures especially since if I don't provide it for free, then you'll just go somewhere else for it. I'm looking to have the atmosphere of like back in the BBS days with forums, chatrooms, calendars, and news. I will also include all the usual game site stuff like cheat codes, reviews, walkthroughs and articles but this will be the area I'll need help. I'll probably need help by the end of this week. Thanks again to all those who have offered to help, I'll be emailing you soon.

Cyberock 02-14-02 02:22 AM

I started emailing some of you that have expressed interest in helping out with the site. The only ones I couldn't email were ones without emails in their profiles here. I can be reached at [email protected]

I have some great support coming in for this which is getting me really excited to get it up and going. Thanks!!!