DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Gamecube: Why No Demo Discs? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/182847-gamecube-why-no-demo-discs.html)

Groucho 02-11-02 03:04 PM

Gamecube: Why No Demo Discs?

Playable demo discs are plentiful for Xbox and PS2, but I've seen nothing for Gamecube. I can understand why they never had these for the N64, but surely Nintendo has something to gain by letting folks "try before they buy"? The closest things I've seen was that disc with all the quicktime movies that you could play on your computer, and the Pikmin trailer on Luigi's Mansion.

Am I missing something? Does anybody know what's up?

darkside 02-11-02 03:21 PM

I thought for sure Nintendo Power would start doing this. Its a mistake by Nintendo not to have something.

mmconhea 02-11-02 03:27 PM

I don't think there is anyone out there that wouldn't like a demo disc. I wonder why Nintendo isn't doing one.

Flay 02-11-02 03:44 PM

Probably because Nintendo has never done demos of games before. It was impossible with cartidges. Even though it's possible with their new disc format, they are too accustomed to their old ways. They need to break that habit.

Also, they should probably include demos and trailers on every new 1st party game like Microsoft does.

Outlaw 02-11-02 04:03 PM

Demo discs would be nice.

Where can I get these demo discs for the PS2 though? I've only ever gotten one and thats it.

mljones99 02-11-02 04:24 PM

Originally posted by mmconhea
I don't think there is anyone out there that wouldn't like a demo disc. I wonder why Nintendo isn't doing one.

Not everyone would like one. I, for one, do not. They serve no purpose to me.

Kellehair 02-11-02 06:44 PM

I don't think the average person cares much about demos. Anyways, Nintendo's 1st party games usually sell great even without demos.

Get Me Coffee 02-11-02 06:48 PM

Nintendo doesn't have games to put on a disc.

jokin' I think Mr. M thinks he's God and doesn't need to show off demo games because- if you make it...people will buy.

Outlaw 02-11-02 08:02 PM

Originally posted by Flay

Also, they should probably include demos and trailers on every new 1st party game like Microsoft does.

I remember there being a trailor for Pikmin on Luigi's Mansion.

Get Me Coffee 02-11-02 08:21 PM

because of the cartidges nintendo couldnt have demos games...but I do recall remembering that they had these VCR tapes showing off the game.

RoQuEr 02-11-02 09:51 PM

because study after study has shown that free trials are bad business. A marketing giant like nintendo doesn't need to do free demos. They have hype, which is always better than the real thing!

darkside 02-11-02 09:55 PM

To be honest the Dreamcast demo discs I used to get convinced me to not buy about 90% of the games on the discs. However, I like being able to try out games and it sucks having to pay $5 to rent every title I'm not sure about. When I do find one I like on a demo disc its almost a sure buy from me. I hope Nintendo decides to do it at some point.

jeffdsmith 02-11-02 11:24 PM

Here's the reality guys.

Demo discs have traditionally been used to "push" software that the general average would not bother to rent or buy.

Basically, Nintendo doesn't need to do this because their games sell so damn well.

3rd parties could easily produce the discs if desired.