Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Jet Set Radio Future : Why all the hype?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 02-10-02, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been reading the previews of this upcoming XBOX title and I can't for the life of me figure out what the appeal is. It sounds beyond boring. Can someone fill me in on what I'm missing?
Old 02-10-02, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I played the original Dreamcast one recently and its really not that great of a game. I agree that the hype over the new one may be much ado about nothing. I want to try it out first though and see. It will probably not be a killer ap, but it may still be a good game.
Old 02-10-02, 07:00 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been wondering the same thing. I hated the first game on the DC. The graphics were great, but the game play was boring. Just skate around, grind stuff, dodge cops, and do student button combinations to paint grafiti. It just wasn't my cup of tea, and it really didn't sell all that well here or in Japan. It wasn't a flop by anymeans, but it wasn't an A+ hyped up system selling type of game either, and I can't figure out why people are making such a big deal out of the sequel. I mean it's a niche market title, and so's Shenmue for that matter.

I think a lot of the hype is because it's a cult type game and as a result it has a lot of "fanboys."
Old 02-10-02, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm not into sports/skating games, but I loved JGR on the DC. Sure, some of it got repetitous, but the game had style, flair, and attitude which made it a fun (for me, at least) gaming experience.
Old 02-10-02, 08:01 PM
Mod Emeritus

I loved the original as well. It had a decent learning curve, but once you mastered it, you could be digital spiderman. The levels were awesome, huge, expansive... great graphics, and a great soundtrack. It was my favorite game for the Dreamcast next to Shenmue.

OK I'll edit this..

Josh, that fanboy comment bugs me. Are you saying anyone who likes this game is just pretending because it's cool or something? Just because you didn't like the game, doesn't mean it isn't a good game. Different strokes for different folks, no need to toss names around.

Last edited by Gallant Pig; 02-10-02 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-10-02, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Here's one review -- way early -- of the new version (thanks to Flay's linkage): http://www.gamesdomain.com/xbox/revi...io_Future.html

looks like a lot of fun IMO, but I've never played the first one.

Tuan Jim
Old 02-10-02, 09:22 PM
Mod Emeritus

Jax and Tuan and anyone else who hasn't played the first, definitely check it out. It is a lot of fun for sure, at least for some of us.
Old 02-10-02, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Heh, josh and i have went on about this before but the first JGR was an incredibly fun game. The cell shading was a new very slick design, the gameplay while at times frustratingly difficult was still loads of fun. The ability to design your own tags or download them off the net was pretty cool, the soundtrack was great and the game had a different feel to it. Granted it was a total niche title (as can be seen by how many copies sold and how many people didn't like it) but at least in my opinion it was one of the better DC games.

The new one on the Xbox is one of the few games i'm actually bummed is exclusive therefore i don't get to play it I'll miss the sequel - except according to some of the previews they axed the way you actually do the graffitti - so now it is just one button or somesuch. Having to do the sweeps with the joystick i thought really added to the "feel" of the game.
Old 02-10-02, 10:38 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally posted by xmiyux
Having to do the sweeps with the joystick i thought really added to the "feel" of the game.
That was the only part of the game I disliked at certain points. It is fun until you hit one of the larger grafiti areas, then it just got tedious. I'm glad they took that out. I also like the expanded "Design your own tag" mode.

Tuan, you should definitely give this game a look. It's a heck of a lot of fun.
Old 02-10-02, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Flay

That was the only part of the game I disliked at certain points. It is fun until you hit one of the larger grafiti areas, then it just got tedious. I'm glad they took that out.
I can see how some didn't like that aspect (as they say - different strokes...) but i really felt it added a participatory aspect - kind of like the person with the controller was "painting" it with sweeping gestures. I also thought it was neat when you played a character enough and could do the sweeping patterns with no thought - but then again i'm in a minority here evidentally since they took out that "feature" due to unpopularity

BTW, if you have a chance to snag the soundtrack to the game i would recommend it - not to bad to listen to other than the Rob Zombie cuts.
Old 02-10-02, 11:38 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Gallant Pig

Josh, that fanboy comment bugs me. Are you saying anyone who likes this game is just pretending because it's cool or something? Just because you didn't like the game, doesn't mean it isn't a good game. Different strokes for different folks, no need to toss names around.

Not at all. It's just with things that aren't popular in the main stream (like niche type games) the fans tend to go all out hyping the games on the net. Hence you see a ton of pro Jet Grind Radio posts on the net, when in the real world the game wasn't all the popular.

Anime is another good example. As much hype as there is for anime on the net, you think it would be as popular as movies, when in actuality a very small percentage of people like it.

I guess my point is that on the Internet, niche market things get as much or more hype as the things that are really popular. It's kind of a false representation for the actual demand for the product. With all the hype for Jet Set Future, you'd think it would be the X-box's Metal Gear Solid 2 or FFX, when everyone knows it won't sell anything like that.

I wasn't bashing the game, or people that love it, just pointing out that fans of "cult" games tend to be the most ardent hype spreaders on the net.
Old 02-10-02, 11:56 PM
Mod Emeritus

Thanks for elaborating Josh. I see what you mean now. In some ways I agree with you, except I always saw JGR as a pretty decent success for DC. It came right before its death throes, but I remember greatly anticipating it, it being a huge critical success, and lots of people on forums playing it... It never struck me as a niche game so I can't share you opinion of it being a huge niche-hyped game a la BWP. I think it was just a solid game that a lot of people loved (9.6 review @ IGN, 9.0 at gamespot, and good reviews everywhere else too).

I can't wait for this to come out.
Old 02-11-02, 01:16 AM
Banned

Why the hype? Because the game is fun as hell and the graphics on the Dreamcast were mindblowing.
Old 02-11-02, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

There certainly is some hype surrounding this game, but it seems to be warranted. Afterall, those that are hyping-up this game are the ones who enjoyed the Dreamcast version. It only makes sense that they would be excited about this 2nd installment so much so that they might even get carried away.

Think about the most recent game you enjoyed.....
If a sequel were to be announced, wouldn't you preach to the people about how great it's going to be based on your experience with the original?
Old 02-11-02, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am willing to give JSRF a chance. I also did not like the original very much and I hope the game changes enough in JSRF. The original was just boring to me. I wouldn't go as far as to say that the only people who liked the original were "fanboys" though. I think a lot of people liked the original and a lot of people picked it up when it was $9.99 and loved it. I just wasn't one of those, but I am willing to give the new one a chance.
Old 02-11-02, 09:27 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Here is a frantic JSRF commercial airing in Japan.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...efront/jet.zip

Short, but all gameplay.
Old 02-11-02, 12:00 PM
Retired

Originally posted by AgtFox
I wouldn't go as far as to say that the only people who liked the original were "fanboys" though.

Read my second post, that wasn't what I was saying. I was just saying that it's a cult game, not a mega-hit system seller game, so the people that really loved the game go out of their way to hype it up, moreso than with a game like MGS2 or FFX that doesn't need any fan generated hype.

I was just giving my theory on why there is so much hype for the sequel, when the original wasn't a big hit, just a decent selling game. I was making no comment on people who are fans of the game in general.
Old 02-11-02, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by AgtFox
I think a lot of people liked the original and a lot of people picked it up when it was $9.99 and loved it.
lol!I would be one of those people! I had been eyeing it but I didn't pick get it until the DC and this game it hit the low price. This is the first game on the X-Box that has looked interesting to me, I'm slowly saving up for it because I'm broke now, hoping the price will drop by then (with my luck I doubt that its going to).

Like a lot of sega unique type games you either love it or hate it. My friends thought I was nuts for liking this crazy game. I'd say if you like anime and J-Pop you'll probably like this game since it has a lot of style from those in terms of graphics and music. The only bad thing was that it was kinda short but worth the $9.99
Old 02-12-02, 12:25 AM

I got an inport of the first just cause I loved the CELL animation.
Went and bought the US version soon as it was out.

This game is just DOPE!
Badass music, Badass Graphics, GREAT gameplay, VERY VERY Current and groovy. Not a game the Nerds would enjoy. (not calling anyone a nerd)

The futre looks like to be more of the greatness that was the first.
I can't wait.

Yea I'm a fanboy.
But when its this sweet, I can't help but to have a cavity.
Old 02-12-02, 01:05 AM

I'm not saying this game is about 70% of the reason I bought my Xbox, but then again, maybe I am ...
Old 02-12-02, 01:14 AM
Mod Emeritus

Knowing this game was going to be an Xbox exclusive (for a while at least) helped in my decision in getting the Xbox. Shen Mue II also, whenever that comes out. I wouldn't say 70%, more like 15%.
Old 02-12-02, 01:22 AM

Well, I'm also factoring in the fact that Smilebit likee dee Xbox. 'Cause I likee dee Smilebit.
Old 02-12-02, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It just reminds me too much of the Skateboarding/Snowboarding type games which absolutely bore me to tears....If they never created another one of these I wouldn't lose any sleep....
Old 02-12-02, 06:50 AM

Count me in as one who loved the first JSR game. As a matter of fact, I felt it was the best game on the Dreamcast. The game was just plain fun and the sequel will be my 2nd X-box game.

The sequel looks even better and with the addition of multiplayer (Co-Op and Vs.), I will be in Cel-Shaded heaven.

-Dean-
Old 02-12-02, 06:54 AM

Originally posted by JaxComet
It just reminds me too much of the Skateboarding/Snowboarding type games which absolutely bore me to tears....If they never created another one of these I wouldn't lose any sleep....
Different strokes for different folks...I personally would not care if companies stopped making fighting games or if Square decided to not develop another Final Fantasy, but that's just me.

Bring on Jet Set Radiooooooooo!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.