DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Question about hooking up a PS2 to a receiver (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/182030-question-about-hooking-up-ps2-receiver.html)

jmclemore 02-08-02 11:50 AM

Question about hooking up a PS2 to a receiver

I just bought a PS2. I want to hook it up to my TV AND my Integrated DVD player/Digital Receiver (Toshiba SD-6109C). With my PS1, I was able to hook up the S-Video cables' Right, Left and Video jacks into the VIDEO 1 input. Then, whenever I clicked the TV to the aux channel and clicked VIDEO 1 on my Receiver, I had Playstation picture on the TV. However, with my PS2, if I hook right, left and Video into the VIDEO 1 inputs, and I get sound, but no picture. I can get picture by hooking the yellow jack up to the TV itself, but then I won't get DD 5.1 sound. and the cords are not long enough to hook up the Right and Left to the Receiver AND the yellow Video jack to the TV.

Should I look into a Digital Optical cable? And if I get one, is that all I need to do? Hook the Digital Optical into the receiver and then ALL THREE jacks on the S-Video into the back of my TV? And if I do get a Digital Optical, anybody know about what kinda price range to expect?

And, please, don't give me any suggestions like "what you really need to do is buy a 61" widescreen TV with component video and a $900 receiver." As it is, my wife just about Plotzed when she found out the games I bought were $50 apeice.

HN 02-08-02 12:02 PM

Re: Question about hooking up a PS2 to a receiver

Originally posted by jmclemore

Should I look into a Digital Optical cable? And if I get one, is that all I need to do? Hook the Digital Optical into the receiver and then ALL THREE jacks on the S-Video into the back of my TV? And if I do get a Digital Optical, anybody know about what kinda price range to expect?

If you don't have an optical cable now you won't get DD or DTS sound even if you were able to hook the whole thing up to the receiver. so best bet would be to get the optical cable ($15-$20 check out Sears). And what do you mean by "ALL THREE jacks on the s-video?" S-video is just the one plug. Once you have the optical cable, stick that in the receiver, stick the one s-video plug into the tv and you're good to go. just make sure you adjust the settings on the ps2 also.

on a related note: very few games so far have DD 5.1 sound and that's just in cut scenes (i.e. MGS2 had it in 2 scenes). As for 5.1 sound in real-time, i think only EA's NHL Hockey 2002 and SSX Tricky do that and in DTS format so make sure your receiver has DTS decoding also if you intend to get the full effect.

--HN

jmclemore 02-08-02 12:58 PM

HN-
Thanks for the info. By S-Video I meant the RCA jack type thing with the Red/White/Yellow ends. That's what the package calls it, but, yeah, I wondered about that, too.

I will definitely go to Sears and pick a digital optical up.

I have DTS decoding in my receiver, so I should be good to go. I have Batman: Vengeance, which claims 5.1 sound on the back.

I only have RCA inputs on my TV. If I use the dig. optical then, should I hook up the Red, White and Yellow RCA jacks, or just the yellow? I guess if I am using the Dig. optical, I wouldn't really need the red and white hooked up, no?

stevevt 02-08-02 01:07 PM

The 6109C doesn't have a digital input. I know -- I have one.

HN 02-08-02 01:29 PM

HN-

I only have RCA inputs on my TV. If I use the dig. optical then, should I hook up the Red, White and Yellow RCA jacks, or just the yellow? I guess if I am using the Dig. optical, I wouldn't really need the red and white hooked up, no?

yellow wire is composite video. and correct, IF you hook up the digital optical cable then you would only need to hook up the yellow wire to the tv. However, take note of what Stevevt said above.

*edit* just going by specs here http://www.toshiba.com/tacp/dvd/archive/SD6109C.html it claims digital input but only coaxial digital input. I tend to trust actual users than the website but either way you may need a work around.

--HN

Jeremy517 02-08-02 01:42 PM

It sounds like you're mixing different sources. With your PS1 using s-video, it was fine because al your other items were using s-video also. With your ps2, if my reading is correct, you were using composite rather than svideo.

jmclemore 02-08-02 02:11 PM

Originally posted by stevevt
The 6109C doesn't have a digital input. I know -- I have one.
Argh! Glad to know, though; I was gonna pick one up on my way home tonight. (I'm at work)

So any suggestions?

Stevevt, how do you have your PS2 hooked up through your 6109C (if you do)?

stevevt 02-10-02 10:27 PM

Argh! Glad to know, though; I was gonna pick one up on my way home tonight. (I'm at work)

So any suggestions?

Stevevt, how do you have your PS2 hooked up through your 6109C (if you do)?

I am so sorry. I just checked the back of my 6109c, and it has 1 optical and 1 coaxial input.

I'll e-mail you to make sure you see this info.

By the way, I don't have a PS2.