DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Anyone ever play Seaman for the Dreamcast? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/181626-anyone-ever-play-seaman-dreamcast.html)

Trigger 02-07-02 03:25 AM

Anyone ever play Seaman for the Dreamcast?

I picked this up the other night cheap and it's kinda bizarre. How far did you get with your Seaman before you gave up?

(let's just dispense with the jokes right away - yeah - haha... "semen" sounds like "seaman"... funny :rolleyes: ) ok... anyway - just wanted to know if I'm the only person who's bought this game or what. :)

Deadpool 02-07-02 07:18 AM

I got it cheap as well, but haven't played it yet because Marvel vs Capcom 2 is taking away my sleeping time :) MvC2 is just too cool.

squidget 02-07-02 08:25 AM

I picked it up when it first came out. i kinda like it. but i like most bizzare games from japan anyway.

mmconhea 02-07-02 10:13 AM

I got it when it was released. I beat it. It was shorter than I expected. I really wish it had some replay value because I haven't touched it since.

You do have to tend to the thing twice a day so if you can't do that then don't bother purchasing it.

Josh H 02-07-02 01:10 PM

I got it when it came out and beat it too. It probably takes about of month to get all the way through it if you only average a half hour a day or so. I usually talked to it once a day for a few minutes and once or twice a week played with it a little longer.

It was a cool game, but it's one of those games you won't play over and I'd be surprised if I every play another game like it. It was cool while it lasted, but I don't think I'd ever play through a game like it again. It gets kind of old once the novelty wears off.

mmconhea 02-07-02 03:10 PM

I gave it to my girlfriend to give it a try. She loved it when they were just tadpoles, then some of them got eaten and she didn't like the game anymore. Once Seaman started being mean to her, she gave the whole thing up.

TheVelvetRope 02-07-02 06:26 PM

I have played through it a few times, usually just to see what would wind up being different based on how I treated it. The Seaman usually tends to get nasty if you don't keep up with it every four to six hours (the tank starts to get cold and oxygen levels drop within that time frame, no matter how high you set them when you leave), so I would usually see how abusive he would get. I killed one once by turning the heat all the way up and keeping it up until he expired. If you want to advance through it faster, you can do so by adjusting the DC's internal clock to the next day and that will take you to the next phase of his "evolution." It's a pretty cool game, I think, but I can see that it's really a "niche" title that only a small number of people would like.

Outlaw 02-07-02 07:28 PM

I haven't had a chance to try out this game but it sounded sorta interesting, looked more like a virtual pet than a game though.

As for Seaman's short temper, I remember reading an interview with the developers of Seaman and they said their goal was to make him be mean to you. They wanted you to hate him so they made him that way. I can't remember where the article was though I think IGN did it.

I'll probably try this one out eventually.

xmiyux 02-07-02 09:55 PM

I kind of enjoyed playing with it and worked all the way through it over a month or so. I did get thoroughly sick of the "time to strap on the old feedbag" comment but it was a kind of cool niche title. One of the big things i liked about the DC was the quirky titles that wouldn't have come out on any other system at the time.... now if we can just get Animal Forest+ brought to the US GC i'll be happy :)

joltaddict 02-07-02 10:08 PM

Seaman has my all time personal record for The Game I got Bored With Quickest.