Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

How is the XBox doing in Japan? Take a look through Amazon's eyes.

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 02-05-02, 04:38 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

I ripped this off xboxgamers.com. You can also go to the Amazon.co.jp web site to check out the list. Both links are below.

Amazon.co.jp has informed us that pre-orders are extremely high. The president of Amazon Of Japan said "The demand is very favourable".

These comments are backed up with the Top-100 sales list on: Japans leading e-commerce website, Amazon.co.jp

1 - Special Edition Xbox - Xbox

4 - Dead Or Alive 3 - Xbox

8 - Xbox Memory Unit - Xbox

11 - Genma Onimusha - Xbox

13 - Project Gotham Racing - Xbox

14 - Castle Of Shigimiki - Xbox

30 - Xbox Controller (Black) - Xbox

37 - Bistro Cupid - Xbox

47 - Jet Set Radio Future - Xbox

49 - DVD Playback Kit - Xbox

80 - Silent Hill 2 - Xbox

86 - Nezmix - Xbox

98 - Xbox Power Chord? - Xbox

The Gamecube Console managed to reach number 40 while its highest title, (Gamecubes main title for 2002) Resident Evil, managed to reach 23rd in the highest sales/pre-orders list.

The PS2 Console does not feature in the Top 100 Sales and Preorders chart but its most preordered title, Onimusha 2 managed to grab the 2nd spot. (2nd to the Xbox Console) While the PS2's biggest selling title, Virtua Fighter managed to grab the 17th spot.

This is absolutely fantastic news considering that Japan is thought to be the only teritory that it will struggle it. Its pretty safe to say that the Japanese support will be flowing within weeks.

http://www.xboxgamers.com/newspro/fu...12937592,7687,
Old 02-05-02, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As long as Microsoft can supply plenty of dating sims, the Xbox should do fine.
Old 02-05-02, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Seems kinda weird that the memory card is so prominently featured. Haven't the MS guys been pushing the hard drive feature in Japanese advertising?

Tuan Jim
Old 02-05-02, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Amazon pre-orders don't register as being any evidence of demand. Sorry. Too small a representative sample of buyers.
Old 02-05-02, 07:07 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally posted by WildcatLH
Amazon pre-orders don't register as being any evidence of demand. Sorry. Too small a representative sample of buyers.
When the XBox, a $300 piece of hardware, outsells the popular Onimusha 2, a $50 piece of PS2 software, I'm pretty sure that's an indication.
Old 02-05-02, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

However, not all japanese retail stores are carring the xbox, possibly forcing consumers online to locate the product.

Also the fact that its "outperforming" many Sony and nintendo products means little because most japanese do not order items online. so that enforces the comment above.

Just wait a few weeks and we'll know for sure. It will be interesting.

Last edited by jeffdsmith; 02-05-02 at 07:45 PM.
Old 02-05-02, 07:42 PM

Checking out this link I found a minor error with this story. The way this is worded is misleadng. It's not Amazons "Top 100 Sales List" The list only represents video games, so its not like xbox or any software on this list is outselling other items in japan.
Old 02-05-02, 07:50 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally posted by jeffdsmith
Checking out this link I found a minor error with this story. The way this is worded is misleadng. It's not Amazons "Top 100 Sales List" The list only represents video games, so its not like xbox or any software on this list is outselling other items in japan.
I don't think the article indicated that. The list was obviously only for video game products. All you had to do was click the link to see that.
Old 02-05-02, 07:56 PM

Originally posted by Flay

These comments are backed up with the Top-100 sales list on: Japans leading e-commerce website, Amazon.co.jp

No? I'm refering to what you indicated in your post. You clearly state "Top-100 sales list" not "Video game list" or something of that nature. Thus I would call this misleading.

Last edited by jeffdsmith; 02-05-02 at 07:58 PM.
Old 02-05-02, 08:29 PM

Whoa I didn't know amazon had a japanese website. I finally found a store with the MM cd of Merveiles in stock! Been looking for that for awhile.

I also noticed that people on the japanese amazon site don't spam feedback and ratings of systems and games have yet to come out, something I always thought was funny seeing comments like "This will be the game to get, it is the best one ever and I can't wait to play it" and then give it a 5 star rating .
Old 02-06-02, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It would not surprise me to see the X-Box do well in Japan, it's a good console, and the Japanese do seem to have an insatible lust for all things American, almost the way our teens here do with Japanese things.

That said, I don't think that success in Japan is nessessarily any indicator of success here in the states.
Old 02-06-02, 05:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess this is good news if the amazon site is a large enough retailer for it to mean anything. so if it is 10% of the market and the only source for the XBox then this is not good news. if they are a small percentage of places to get the japanese XBox then it might mean more.

Frankly without knowing this could be like saying it is going to do well in the US based on the sales of a Kmart in ohio only.

Amazon is a fairly large retailer in the US market although nowhere near the top in video games console sales in our market so i would guess they are a small force in Japan also.

when is the launch by the way?

I am just curious when we will have some real sales numbers to look at.
Old 02-06-02, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm not surprised by this data at all, but it doesn't mean much for the XBox. The explanation is pretty simple. Amazon just made the system available for preorder there, and a bunch of people preordered it. Amazon's top seller charts don't mean much, because they only indicate sales for a single day.

Also, Japan isn't big on the whole internet thing yet. Most Japanese don't even own home computers. And many of those who do have internet access don't use it for shopping.

And not to doubt the Amazon site (I can't make it display), but the XBoxgamers site is really sketchy. I think it's very suspicious that they have a quote from the president of "Amazon of Japan," but they don't have the guy's name. I don't know whether there's actually an "Amazon of Japan," or if it's operated out of the US, but I doubt the XBoxgamers people talked to anybody. And fabricating quotes is a pretty awful crime for journalists.
Old 02-06-02, 10:23 AM
Mod Emeritus

Since it is daily results, this is the second consecutive day that the Xbox is top of the list. DOA3 actually moved into the #3 position. As did a bunch of other Xbox stuff.

The controller is #5, Gotham is #7, Some weird Japanase game is #8... ScandalUMD's Virtual Fighter 4 got bumped back to #24, another Xbox game I can't tell is at #33 but I think it's Jet Grind Radio (there's no picture, it has a video game price, and I can't find JGR anywhere else on the list... Maybe someone who speaks Japanese can verify, if so, that has gone up a bit as well.

Good Job Xbox Japan!

Last edited by Gallant Pig; 02-06-02 at 10:36 AM.
Old 02-06-02, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
Since it is daily results, this is the second consecutive day that the Xbox is top of the list. DOA3 actually moved into the #3 position.
This is a daily list? Then it's even more pointless.
Old 02-06-02, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

e-commerce isn't as big in Japan as it is in the US. So those rankings mean little. Most Japanese consumers will probably purchase their videogames/systems in local shops. Since they will get it same day.

Those rankings just mean that most people are preordering X-box stuff than other console stuff. Well duh. PS2/Cube stuff is readily availible.
Old 02-06-02, 11:04 AM

Good Point, if you can't buy something in stores it is more than obvious that you would have to order it online. Are these statistics for Amazon in Japan only? If so, I don't really think attention should really be paid to them. I hope the Xbox will be a success in Japan, but I would say you have to wait for launch to really tell. When is the Japan Launch?
Its not the years, its the mileage.
Old 02-06-02, 12:15 PM
M O V I E F A N

It is nice to hear about an American product in such demand in Japan for a change, instead of the other way around.

Old 02-06-02, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Since the Amazon Japan site can be accessed from around the world, there is no way to tell is those are Japan-only presells. They could be mostly ebay sellers looking to get the jump on reaming people on limited edition versions in other countires.

Like I stated before. E-commerce in Japan is very very small. The country is small and keeping business withing communities is a very important social aspect of the Japanese consumer world.
Old 02-06-02, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by mmconhea
Since the Amazon Japan site can be accessed from around the world, there is no way to tell is those are Japan-only presells. They could be mostly ebay sellers looking to get the jump on reaming people on limited edition versions in other countires.

Like I stated before. E-commerce in Japan is very very small. The country is small and keeping business withing communities is a very important social aspect of the Japanese consumer world.
this is my thought. Amazon uses sales dollars i believe to show top sellers not numbers of units. so they could be selling 2-3 Xboxes a day and if the site does not do much business at all in video games the XBox would win.

frankly I will be far more interested in actual sales numbers from Japan after the launch.
Old 02-07-02, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here's a reality check:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...287362-5013517

Based on this, PS2 is outselling Gamecube (2nd) and XBox (3rd).

XBox's top game is Wreckless, which trails 3 PS2 games and 5 GC games.

Of course, Amazon sales ranks mean nothing. I suspect only the top handful of items even sold double digits from them in the last 24 hours. If Amazon were moving a lot of software, there would be a lot less hardware in the top 50. Also, the fact that SMB Deluxe for GBC, NBA Street, Donkey Kong 64 and an MC2 XBox racing wheel are items 31-34 renders the whole system suspect.

These are items that probably sold only one, two at the most today.

I don't see there being a huge flood of demand for SMB Deluxe, or racing wheels.

So I'd hardly say that Amazon's sales numbers are meaningful in any way. Amazon really only gets a lot of game sales when there is a shortage of something. Otherwise, the market who shops online also likes walking into a store and getting instant gratification.

Last edited by ScandalUMD; 02-07-02 at 01:36 AM.
Old 02-07-02, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

8 - Xbox Memory Unit - Xbox