Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Yeah Baby! I Just Bought a Coleco Vision!

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-01, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, I'm so pumped! I won a Coleco Vision on Ebay last night! Woo Hoo!!!!! I had one of these when I was a kid and stupidly sold it to get money to buy a Nintendo. WTF was I thinking? It doesn't have any games with it, so I need to track some down. Of course, I'll keep looking on Ebay, but do any of you have any other "secret" spots I could find some of these classic games. I can't wait to play Donkey Kong, BurgerTime, Squesh'em Sam, etc.
Old 12-05-01, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice score...what did it set you back?

I had a game called Zengi - not sure how it's spelt... but it was a great puzzle/action in the vein of something like Pepper or Peppertime... where you went around a board closing off shapes avoiding thingys...

Anyway, it was the final Coleco game I bought... then Mario came into our house...
Old 12-05-01, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Make sure you get the Smurfs game. Papa Smurf rocks. The best place to find coleco games would have to be eBay.
Old 12-05-01, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

E-bay is the place! You might be better off buying another system WITH a bunch of games & selling your recently won solo system. Or... you could always keep for extra parts.

I understand that there is a disc out there somewhere with all the ColecoVision games on it for the Dreamcast, Playstation, etc. Anyone know anything about this?
Old 12-05-01, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You may have some luck finding games at a thrift store somewhere. I once went to a thrift store that had a ColecoVision for sale but it was in pretty bad shape. They also had bag fulls of Atari 2600 cartridges.
Old 12-05-01, 10:24 AM

I have quite a few old games I was getting ready to put on ebay for the holiday season. If interested, drop me an email at [email protected]. I even have the old boxing glove type controllers.
Old 12-05-01, 11:10 AM

Originally posted by Liver&Onions
Nice score...what did it set you back?

I had a game called Zengi - not sure how it's spelt... but it was a great puzzle/action in the vein of something like Pepper or Peppertime... where you went around a board closing off shapes avoiding thingys...

Anyway, it was the final Coleco game I bought... then Mario came into our house...
Let's just say that it didn't put me out the $125 somebody paid for one with "Buy It Now" feature. I may be nostalgic, but I'm not crazy.
Old 12-05-01, 11:26 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
I remember my Coleco and it's 2 games--Mouse Trap and that Smurfs game. That @#$%Q#@$ Smurfs game....run run run jump run run run jump land on BLADE OF GRASS and fall over dead!

--HN
Old 12-05-01, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by HN
I remember my Coleco and it's 2 games--Mouse Trap and that Smurfs game. That @#$%Q#@$ Smurfs game....run run run jump run run run jump land on BLADE OF GRASS and fall over dead!

--HN
Yeah, but wasn't it fun? If it weren't for that damn Nintendo marketing machine I would have never sold mine!
Old 12-05-01, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

BurgerTime rules!!!!
Old 12-05-01, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by StarsHockey
I have quite a few old games I was getting ready to put on ebay for the holiday season. If interested, drop me an email at [email protected]. I even have the old boxing glove type controllers.
You've got mail!
Old 12-05-01, 12:36 PM

Originally posted by JaxComet
BurgerTime rules!!!!
That was one of the games I had! I loved that game. I could play it for hours. I must get that game! Must get game....
Old 12-05-01, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by JaxComet
BurgerTime rules!!!!
Oh hell yeah! I had that on Coleco and Intellivision II.
*sniff* Memories... *sniff*
Old 12-05-01, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

ZAXXON!!!!!!!! That and Donkey Kong Jr!!!

Sega and Nintendo on one console. What comes around goes around, never say never. So strange that the Colecovision is where I fell in love with both companies and only now can I get them both in the same place again.
Old 12-05-01, 01:15 PM

Something I picked up as a kid, when I first owned ColecoVision, is to buy a backup of every game system I owned. That way, 20-30 years down the road, I could play the games I grew up with, show my kids and have that nostaligic piece of my history. Subsequently, I spent 50 bucks in 1986 (which for me at 13 and that time period was a big chunk) on a Brand New in box ColecoVision and 10 games. It is in my garage as we speak, along with unopened Genesis, 8-Bit Nintendo, Super Nintendo, PlayStation, Dreamcast and Nintendo 64. A good idea to pick up an extra console once the prices drop. Never too late to think of the future for a small price.
Old 12-05-01, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by jpalm

That was one of the games I had! I loved that game. I could play it for hours. I must get that game! Must get game....

Here's a copy..........

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1303687313
Old 12-05-01, 02:20 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally posted by jpalm

Yeah, but wasn't it fun? If it weren't for that damn Nintendo marketing machine I would have never sold mine!
No doubt given my only other piece of electronics at the time was a robot toy that had "super light up action" (read: red flashing LED eyes). Hence that and not the red "grrr" face that i dont' know how to make.

--HN
Old 12-05-01, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Since someone brought up the smurfs I thought I'd share this link that compares the smurfs to communism. It is quite disturbing and funny simultaneously. It has nothing to do with games though but show your friends! Just don't let your kids see it

BurgerTime was a pretty fun game, time to use the peppor hah!!
Old 12-05-01, 05:43 PM

Oh Wow

Originally posted by rabbit77
Make sure you get the Smurfs game. Papa Smurf rocks. The best place to find coleco games would have to be eBay.
I remember playing that game in department stores (demo systems). Anybody remember the easter egg where Smurfette's dress dropped off? I think it had something to do with getting to the last screen with her and then going back the way you came. My memory is fuzzy after all this time.

I always wanted a colecovision. 'Course I was happy with my 2600 though...

Turbo was another cool game for it. I loved that game in teh arcade and the Coleco version was soooooo close to it.
Old 12-05-01, 07:32 PM

You guys make me want to play a 2-D game!

I think I'll dig the Super NES out and play Super Metroid in a few minutes.
Old 12-05-01, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
My dad threw ours in the trash because my brother told him it didn't work anymore. Our dad got it for us the year it came out. We had two games...Donkey Kong and Ladybug. We later added Cosmic Avenger and then Carnival.

A few years ago I bought an Atari 2600 with a box full of games at a garage sale. Some of the games are ColecoVision games. I'll dig through it and see what I have and post.
Old 12-05-01, 09:50 PM

Originally posted by Nefarious
My dad threw ours in the trash because my brother told him it didn't work anymore. Our dad got it for us the year it came out. We had two games...Donkey Kong and Ladybug. We later added Cosmic Avenger and then Carnival.

A few years ago I bought an Atari 2600 with a box full of games at a garage sale. Some of the games are ColecoVision games. I'll dig through it and see what I have and post.
Excellent! Thanks Nefarious!
Old 12-06-01, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Tigger
Something I picked up as a kid, when I first owned ColecoVision, is to buy a backup of every game system I owned. That way, 20-30 years down the road, I could play the games I grew up with, show my kids and have that nostaligic piece of my history. Subsequently, I spent 50 bucks in 1986 (which for me at 13 and that time period was a big chunk) on a Brand New in box ColecoVision and 10 games. It is in my garage as we speak, along with unopened Genesis, 8-Bit Nintendo, Super Nintendo, PlayStation, Dreamcast and Nintendo 64. A good idea to pick up an extra console once the prices drop. Never too late to think of the future for a small price.
Is it just me, or does this remind you of the Simpsons episode where Homer becomes friends with Flanders {Homer Loves Flanders - Fifth Season}:

Homer: Hey, what gives? I thought you had a satellite dish.
Flanders: Ned: Sure doodily-do. Over 230 channels locked out!

Hope that garage is waterproofed!
Old 12-06-01, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you dont' have Donkey Kong yet I have a spare copy for some reason if you want it its yours just pay for s/h [email protected]
Old 12-07-01, 08:36 AM

Originally posted by Apocrypha
If you dont' have Donkey Kong yet I have a spare copy for some reason if you want it its yours just pay for s/h [email protected]
Thanks Apocrypha! I need to confirm that Donkey Kong wasn't included with the system, but if I do need it I'll drop you note.

On another note....I've confirmed that I will be getting Q-Bert (I always fell off the damn side!) and Squesh'em Sam! Squesh'em was such a simplistic game, but it was funny as all hell...."squesh'em".

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.