Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Any Reiews on NBA Courtside For Gamecube?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 01-14-02, 11:32 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking forward to this release. Has anyone seen any reviews?
Old 01-14-02, 11:40 AM

You probably won't see actual reviews for a few days, but here are some fairly detailed impressions of the game:

http://www.planetgamecube.com/impres...profile&id=272

Sounds like the passing system works great. It's weird that nobody else thought to do this.
Old 01-14-02, 11:46 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Hmmm...Left Field, the developer of NBA Courtside, may no longer be a 2nd party developer for Nintendo.

I wonder if it had anything to do with this game?

http://www.planetgamecube.com/rumors...=profile&id=23

And Cube.ign has been posting hi res video's, so they probably already have the game. You may see a review posted tonight for the game.

Last edited by Flay; 01-14-02 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-14-02, 12:11 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm interested in seeing some reviews as well, especially a comparison to the NBA2K series. I've yet to find a perfect basketball game. The Live series just flat out sucks. NBA2K was ok, but it sucked that the only way the computer could stop the drive was by blocking shots/dunks all the time. NBA2k1 wasn't much better as it used poor collision detection to stop drives. You'd be clearly beside someone, and stop like you ran into a wall. Bugged me so much that I took the game back after 2 days.

I haven't played NBA2K2 so if someone here that's played it picks up NBA Courtside, please post a comparison of the two.
Old 01-14-02, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i've been looking forward to this game, i enjoyed the other ones, and i am anxious to see how it translates to the cube.

i haven't seen any reviews yet, however
Old 01-14-02, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
NBA2K2 was pretty good. They fixed a lot of the gameplay problems of the first two, but it still looks like 2K1 and the commentary is exactly the same. I've yet to play any Basketball game that can even compare to NBA2K2. I want to try out Courtside, but I'm not too hopefull about it. I never liked it on N64.
Old 01-14-02, 04:31 PM
Mod Emeritus

Has 2K2 come out for the PS2 yet? I wonder what we'll see in terms of graphics.
Old 01-14-02, 06:51 PM

Here's the first review I know of:

GameSpot Review

Their main complaint seems to be the AI.
Old 01-14-02, 07:49 PM
Mod Emeritus

7.6? Eeewww... I'll have to rent it.
Old 01-14-02, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It sounds like this game has the opposite AI problem of NBA 2K2. In that game you often get unduly hung up on the way to the basket and in Courtside you can often blow right through for an easy jam.
Old 01-14-02, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Kellehair
It sounds like this game has the opposite AI problem of NBA 2K2. In that game you often get unduly hung up on the way to the basket and in Courtside you can often blow right through for an easy jam.
i felt the same way about 2k2. it was impossible to drive, and when you had a fast break, the other guys on your team would just stop halfway up court for no reason. it made it difficult to get any open lay-ups or dunks.

i always liked the more arcade-like play of courtside, so i'll rent it with the intent to buy.
Old 01-14-02, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Still another hoops sim that didnt bother putting in the new rules.

The final, and perhaps the most perplexing, problem is the lack of zone defenses and the defensive three-second call. Both are now an essential part of the NBA game but have simply been ignored by the game's developer.
Old 01-15-02, 09:50 AM
Retired

Thanks for the info guys. No basketball game for me this year, unless I pick up NBA Street. NBA2K2 apparently still has the cheap stop the drive by having players run into invisible walls, and Courtside apparently has the NBA2K problem of easy drives compounded by the fact of not implementing the new rules. Both these will keep me from buying either game, unless they fix the NBA2K2 problem before april, but I doubt they will since most people don't seem to mind it as it's gotten good reviews everywhere.
Old 01-15-02, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by joshhinkle
Thanks for the info guys. No basketball game for me this year, unless I pick up NBA Street. NBA2K2 apparently still has the cheap stop the drive by having players run into invisible walls, and Courtside apparently has the NBA2K problem of easy drives compounded by the fact of not implementing the new rules. Both these will keep me from buying either game, unless they fix the NBA2K2 problem before april, but I doubt they will since most people don't seem to mind it as it's gotten good reviews everywhere.
Being that NBA2K2 is being delayed until April, maybe they will make the adjustments to make it worth it. Damn, I really hope so. I was wanting to play some roundball, but these game companies are not doing much other than graphically to entice me.
Old 01-15-02, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by joshhinkle
. No basketball game for me this year, unless I pick up NBA Street. NBA2K2 apparently still has the cheap stop the drive by having players run into invisible walls,
I actually don't find it that cheap. It's not supposed to be that easy to score in the NBA and I drive to the basket all the time. You have to move the ball around until you get a lane to the basket and sometimes you need a quick player that can do a crossover move to get free. The AI in NBA2K2 is just fine. You can drive to the basket but you have to work to do it, just like it should be.
Old 01-15-02, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nothing sucks worse than hitting an invisble wall on your way to the hoop.
Old 01-15-02, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

has anyone played it yet?
Old 01-16-02, 12:24 PM
Retired

Darkside,

I agree it shouldn't be easy to drive to the basket, however if they want to make it tough to drive, then the programmers should be competent enough to make the defensive players shift over and get in front of you. In NBA2K1, you'd be clearly trying to go beside someone, and you'd just stop, like you ran smack into Shaq or something. From the comments above, NBA2K2 has the same problem, and if that's the case I'll avoid it again.