Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Sonic Adventure 2 for GCN---is it out yet?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 01-04-02, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it is, does anyone know if they include a cartridge for the GBA so you can transfer Chao? How esle are you supposed to train them outside the game?
Old 01-04-02, 10:19 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
This thead keeps track of release dates for all GCN games. As of right now, the game is due on 2/12.

Don't know the answer to your other question, but I haven't heard anything about a GBA cartridge.
Old 01-04-02, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It might be link compatible, in which case the mini game is stored on the GBA's RAM as long as the unit is on.
Old 01-04-02, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Aghama
It might be link compatible, in which case the mini game is stored on the GBA's RAM as long as the unit is on.
From what I have read, this is true... you don;t need the GBA game...it might actually include a cartridge that acts as the game...so it would be a ROM I guess.
Old 01-04-02, 01:01 PM

The game is out in Japan. I have read some about it in other forums from people who have imported it, and I think this is how it works... you may be able to do some limited functions with no cart in the GBA; I don't think there is any blank cart to store anything. To get full potential, you need to have Sonic Advance (for GBA) in order to do the Chao raising "on the go". The Chao gets downloaded to the GBA, the Sonic cart saves the Chao, and you can do whatever to raise the chao (minigames, etc). All in all I think it is a neat feature.
Old 01-04-02, 03:30 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Liver&Onions
[B]

From what I have read, this is true... you don't need the GBA game...

As Maquis said, I think you pretty much have to have Sonic Advance to be able to make any real progress with the Chaos on the GBA. But if you're a Sonic fan, and have a GBA, there's no reason not to buy Sonic Advance. What Sonic fan wouldn't want to play a new 2D Sonic? I'm actually more excited about the GBA version as I loved the 2D Sonics and thought Sonic Adventure was pretty mediocre. Too much wandering around on the overworld trying to figure out where to go next, and not enough levels. Maybe the sequel is better, I never played it on the DC because it was announced for the GC before I got around to trying it.

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 01-07-02 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-07-02, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

cloudchaser.com has a nice video of the GC version with a demo of how the link works.
Old 01-07-02, 12:01 PM
Retired

From the cloudchaser article.

This time around, players will be able to download Chao to their copy of Sonic Advance on GBA (using Nintendo’s GameCube-GBA link cable) and raise their critters’ stats by playing various minigames, Tomagotchi-style.

So it looks like a copy of Sonic Advance will be required to do the Chaos thing on the GBA. No big deal really, as I said above, what Sonic fan wouldn't want a new 2D Sonic game. I'll likely get Sonic Advance and pass on Sonic Adventure 2 as I didn't like the original Sonic Adventure. In any even I wouldn't use the Chaos GBA thing as I though raising the Chaos in SA was lame. I've never cared for virtual pet type games.
Old 01-07-02, 01:20 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I've never played Sonic Adventure 2, but it sounds like you have to have a GBA and the Sonic Advance game to get full enjoyment? Is this true? I'm not about to drop another $100 just to play one game.
Old 01-07-02, 03:03 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Groucho
I've never played Sonic Adventure 2, but it sounds like you have to have a GBA and the Sonic Advance game to get full enjoyment? Is this true? I'm not about to drop another $100 just to play one game.

Not by any means. All the linkup is for is doing the stupid Chaos "minigame." Sonic Adventure 1 had this as well. It's basically a stupid "virtual pet" type thing like those tamigotchi things of a few years back. It is not at all necessary to do this to complete the game, at least in the first one and I haven't heard otherwise, and unless you like those stupid virtual pet things, you won't be missing anything.
Old 01-07-02, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
I've played Sonic Adventure 2 on the Dreamcast and its pretty cool!! Unlike the original DC sonic adventure, SA2 is more linear like its 2D counterpart and is basically level after level with tons of action and speed mayhem. They mix up the gameplay a little with a searching level that was a little frusterating but its my favorite sonic game.

The Chao GBA link isn't necessary to at all to enjoy the game. Its kind of like mini game in itself. In fact I didn't have enough memory on my DC VMU to raise Chao and I still had a blast. But I was gonna get Sonic Advance anyway so maybe this time I'll find out what its really all about. The bottom line is: You don't need to spend another $100 to enjoy this game, just get it!

The ability to connect my GBA to my Gamecube is pretty darn cool though
Old 01-07-02, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's a nice bonus.
At least developers are taking advantage of the extra connection this early on. I'm thinking Rare will be the next to make a linkable game.