Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

I'm looking for a good FPS

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-01, 01:26 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm looking for a good FPS

Hey, I was wondering if some of you guys could help me out. I'd like to buy a good first person shooter for my PC, but I don't have any idea whats good anymore. I don't want a game thats mainly online multiplayer, but I want a good 1-player game. I also want something that has a good theme to it-Star Wars, WWII, or something like that. I'm a big fan of Jedi Knight II and Half-Life. Do you guys have any suggestions?
Old 12-29-01, 01:30 AM
Mod Emeritus

The new Wolfenstein.
Old 12-29-01, 02:54 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome, JDog! Actually, there was a thread like this a little while ago... if you use the button in the top right of your screen, you might be able to find the old thread.

My suggestions:

Deus Ex (theme: conspiracy theories)
SWAT 3: Elite Edition (theme: tactical combat)

Both games can probably be found at under $20. I wasn't too impressed by RTCW... it didn't grab me like Deus Ex & SWAT 3 did.

Fire bad!
Old 12-29-01, 03:24 AM
Mod Emeritus

If you like tactical and realistic, Ghost Recon is great.
Old 12-29-01, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Wolfenstein
Undying
Deus Ex
No One Lives Forever
Soldier of Fortune
Old 12-29-01, 02:01 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone. Of all of the games mentioned, which have a really compelling 1-player mode? Half-Life kept me glued to my computer for hours. Is Wolfenstein like this? Or is it just mindless shooting and going through mazes, like Wolfenstein 3D was? A couple more were mentioned in the post, can anyone second those choices? Thanks for the help.
Old 12-30-01, 02:52 AM

Swat3 is great, highly tactical. No one has mentioned Aliens versus Predator2 which I think is the best action game of the year. Great story, great graphics if you've got a good system and three completely different types of species makes it great. Don't grab RTCW if you played alot of 1st person shooters and you're not interested in multiplayer.
Old 12-30-01, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd like to recommend Max Payne, on top of the games already mentioned. It's 3-person shooter, and I don't believe there's a mulit-player aspect, but I couldn't stay away from it. Finished it in a weekend of frenzied marathon game playing.
Old 12-30-01, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Trigger
Wolfenstein
Undying
Deus Ex
No One Lives Forever
Soldier of Fortune
Wolfenstein starts out standard and mediocre, but then the action gets interesting... the storyline isn't quite so compelling, but it's still a great game. Half-Life is the greatest FPS ever made IMHO and nothing really meets it in terms of immersion and story. System Shock 2 is similar, but not quite as good - still a worthwhile game to play. Deus Ex is probably a safe bet since the story is pretty good, but it's still not quite as good as Half-Life was. You might want to pick up the expansion packs for Half-Life. Opposing Force and Blue Shift. Very well done and they expand on the existing story of Half-Life. Gunman Chronicles is a mod for Half Life that plays very similar, but it seems more like a Disneyland ride than a shooter. It's still fairly good. Undying is fantastic - it's a horror FPS. Good story and really scary. Resident Evil/Alone in the Dark type scary, but it's a FPS. No One Lives Forever is good too - very stylish. It's like Austin Powers the FPS game. Soldier of Fortune has a decent enough story, but the action is so great it'll keep you playing. Location damage makes for hours of fun. Beyond that, there's Max Payne which has a good story and great action, but it's a short game. Totally worth playing, but try to pick it up cheap. Same goes for Red Faction. It's got some innovative aspects to it, but it's fairly short. It has somewhat of a Total Recall theme with you doing battle on Mars. Aliens VS. Predator 2 is creepy and if you like the movies, you'll probably like it. Very creepy. I ought to tell you to avoid Daikatana if you don't already know to. I could recommend others if you like... It's my favorite type of game and I've played all of them pretty much.