Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

X-Box Controllers - Which ones have you tried/do you have?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-01, 04:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Many are griping about the size of the X-Box controller - I too was put off at first - even having large hands. I'm getting used to it though. I would like to try a smaller controller. If they exist - let's post them here.

This is one of the Mad Catz controllers - it's supposed to have a macro button feature and lists among its features: "Comfortable size and rubber hand grips for improved handling" - Does that mean it's smaller? Who knows.

Another Mad Catz controller - this one says that it is a "Compact, comfortable design"- smaller? Anyone?

Interact's stab at making a controller. I'll guess that the plastic is smooth to the touch because I've played with a PS2 Interact controller - the buttons aren't all that great, but it's got a nice feel to it (the PS2 controller that is) - anyone know about this one for the X-Box?

Microsoft's Official controller. Some say bulky. What do you think?

This one is called the Pelican Trick Controller - I think I've seen this one in person behind the plastic of the box it was contained in and I think it might've been a bit smaller than the X-Box controller... anyone confirm this? It has a memory feature that remembers your keypresses so you can repeat them automatically when you want to.

Radica Vortex Controller - any good?

Thrustmaster Upad?

Any others that I've overlooked?

Here's an alternative -

Here's another.

Last edited by Trigger; 12-27-01 at 05:08 AM.
Old 12-27-01, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts
Re: X-Box Controllers - Which ones have you tried/do you have?

Originally posted by Trigger
Many are griping about the size of the X-Box controller - I too was put off at first - even having large hands. I'm getting used to it though

Microsoft's Official controller. Some say bulky. What do you think?

I am quite happy with my controllers. I have 2 official controllers & I have not had cramped hands yet. I played for probably 5 hours straight last night without having to rest my hands. I can see little kids maybe having a problem with the controller but as we know, Xbox is being marketed for adults.

It is funny, though. I have picked up copies of both the Xbox "official magazine" & Xbox Nation (unofficial magazine) & both have complained about the controllers. The only complaint I would have are that the buttons are a little too close together, which can cause you to push the wrong one from time to time. My hands used to cramp after playing with the smaller Playstations & the old Nintendos controllers for any extended amount of time. Now only my thumb hurts (as usual) after extended playing of racing games.

If anyone has any of the other controllers, tell how they compare.
Old 12-27-01, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I have one of the interact controllers. It has the tendency to stop the game because the plug is loose ( I think ). I wonder if they are all like that?
Old 12-27-01, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the Interact one. The controller is a bit blockier(the are under teh triggers is kinds square, it feels...interesting) The analog sticks push down a lot easier, but my only big problem is that you have to push the buttons down a bit harder than normal.

-Maneesh
Old 12-27-01, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

a few more http://us.thrustmaster.com/products/...box&selector=1
Old 12-27-01, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
I have the Interact controller (green). With the rumble feature turned on, it causes the game to pause or make the system think the controller has come unplugged (which means another pause). Thank god you can turn the rumble off with a switch. And yes, you have to press the buttons a bit harder than on the official Microsoft one.
Old 12-27-01, 07:27 PM

I bought the tricky one. It is slightly smaller than the normal xbox controller, but not terribly so. It's not a bad controller, i've gotten use to the xbox one, but I dont' have a problem using the trick one. The one good thing about it, is that it costs $10 less than the MS one.
Old 12-27-01, 10:15 PM

Location: ____St. Louis___ a.k.a. 'Roid Rage in fantasy sports
I have the 2nd MadCatz controller and it is pretty good. I like how the buttons are spread out but they do make an annoying clicking sound. They were on sale for only $15 bucks at Target.
Old 12-27-01, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
I have the first madkatz and it is AWESOME.
Old 12-28-01, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've tried only the official controllers by Microsoft. I'd say that I have average-to-bigger than average sized hands and these controllers are perfect. When I hold this controller, my fingers and palms naturally conform to the shape of the handles. I can reach every button without having to flex or extend my fingers into awkward/uncomfortable positions. The absolute key to the design of this controller (in my opinion) is that it places my wrists in a neutral position. This reduces the onset of fatigue on the intrinsic muscles of your hands. As a matter of fact, I was playing for 8 hours today -- 2 hours in the morning and 6 consecutive in the afternoon into the evening. My hands did not cramp or tire at all.

My only gripe with this controller is the buttons. They are too close together for me. I sometimes hit the wrong button because of this. Also, why must they have such a prominent dome-like shape? In games where you have to hold down a button for prolong periods (gas/accelerate button in driving games), the button feels like it's digging into the tip of my right thumb. I wish they were less convex in shape and spread further away from each other.

Overall, the controller is the best I've used so far in form & function and is better than the current competition of videogame controllers.
Old 12-28-01, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have both a Madcatz (first one) and an Interact controller.

The Madcatz looks great, is smaller, cheaper, and has a combo memory. The buttons are farther apart, which is a good thing. My main problem with it is that I'm a button masher and I've already ruined two of the controllers. The problem is with the top trigger buttons. They break pretty easily if you press them too hard. I really like the Madcatz but you have to be careful with them.

The Interact controller is pretty much on par with the X-Box controller. It feels slightly more comfortable, but it is kinda slick. There is a problem with disconnecting (as everyone has stated). It happens mostly in Halo when you are getting shot at and the rumble feature is on. It can get really annoying when you are in a tight spot and the game pauses itself because it thinks the controller has been disconnected. Other than that, it is a cheap alternative without much of a facelift from that of the X-box's controller.
Old 12-28-01, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
So far I'm REALLY liking the OFFICIAL XBOX controllers because of their size. The button placement could use tweaking but now that I think about it, I've yet to have any HAND PAIN from playing with this controller and that's good thing.
Old 12-28-01, 08:08 PM

Originally posted by Giantrobo
So far I'm REALLY liking the OFFICIAL XBOX controllers because of their size. The button placement could use tweaking but now that I think about it, I've yet to have any HAND PAIN from playing with this controller and that's good thing.
I agree.
Old 12-29-01, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Today I picked up the Trick controller and the Mad Catz one (without the rubber grips) - The Trick controller is perhaps too small I think - my girlfriend loves it though. Plus - it's cool looking. It doesn't have the vibration feature though. The Mad Catz controller is blah... It was 15 bucks at Target, so I figured why not - the package says it has vibration, but I haven't felt it vibrate yet. I've never really liked Mad Catz products (but haven't tried any since 1996) - this one is ok. I like some things about it, but other things I don't like so much. I like the D-Pads, but the button layout is more like a playstation controller - too far apart. Personal preference. Both of these controllers are smaller than the Official one. The Mad Catz one is about the same size as the Official one, but where your fingers hold the controller isn't quite as fat. The Pelican Trick is signifigantly smaller (even if it doesn't look like it in the box - I assure you it is) and is for younger hands or for girls or guys who just have small hands. If you're really into the Dreamcast controller, you might like the feel of this one. I'm going to need a 4th controller, but I don't like any of the other ones available. I may trade in the Mad Catz one for the one with rubber grips. We'll see.
Old 12-29-01, 01:02 PM

My next controller will be another official Microsoft controller however it will be smaller.
Here's a couple of pictures of the controller for the Japanese Xbox which is scheduled to be released in February 2002.

Old 12-30-01, 02:32 PM

My wife just bought the "Trick" controller $25 at BestBuy and yes it is slightly smaller than the original, but for her its perfect. And yes, it does have vibration! There is a memory/program feature, but I've yet to experiment with it, cuz I'm lazy... The new japanese controller looks much more user-friendly because of those larger buttons and the small white and black buttons aren't placed so far on top of the controller, which I think is hard to get sometimes. If anyone has used the Microsoft Gamepad Pro for PC, they should have just stuck with that design (very similar, but 6 large buttons)...

Either way, I just don't see any justification in paying $40 for a controller! What a rig!
Old 12-30-01, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
I bought the "Trick" controller a couple of days ago. I didn't care for the Interact controllers and could never locat any Mad Catz to try out.

Although the Microsoft controller that came w/ my Xbox will still be my main methos of control, the Trick has a good feel and IMO makes a good second controller. $15 cheaper than the MS one and it appears to have good construction with a solid feel.
Old 12-31-01, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah - we found out that the Trick DOES have vibration - sorry for the confusion... I think mine has a glitch in it though cuz the vibration doesn't always work and sometimes just acts funky. Perhaps I'll take it back.
Old 12-31-01, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
That Japanese controller is sweet. I hope they start offering it as an option in the USA, but its not that hard to import them. The US controller is just not right for my size hands.
Old 12-31-01, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by darkside
That Japanese controller is sweet. I hope they start offering it as an option in the USA, but its not that hard to import them. The US controller is just not right for my size hands.
It does indeed look sweet, but it also kinda looks too small now that I've gotten used to the official controller. I'd certainly like to hold one and try it out.