Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Anyone Ever Have Their Dreamcasts Die?

Old 12-10-01, 01:19 PM
Banned

Anyone Ever Have Their Dreamcasts Die?

I've had 2 of them die on me. Luckily I kept the box, took it back and said that I had just received it and it didn't work, and got a new one.

I'm now on my 3rd dreamcast, and I'm worried about it dying again because they won't be available much longer.

I play a lot of cd-r games, do you think this has something to do with the dreamcast dying?

I believe the motor burns out so the games don't spin, but I'm not positive.

So has anyone else had this happen, and if so, is it possible to fix?
Old 12-10-01, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I still have my launch console and one I bought a few months ago and they both work great. I don't use it with CD-Rs though.
Old 12-10-01, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My DC was acting up yesterday it wouldn't load the 3rd disc to Shenmue or Crazy Taxi 2 other things worked fine it just fought those titles. It is from the original run in '99 so it has seen much use I cleaned the lens with a qtip and alcohol and it worked fine later so just a dirty lens (again). If the DC you traded for is after a certain production date Jan 01 I think it probably has some kind of bootleg protection. CDrs seem to put a strain on these machines stick with original titles and keep it on a flat surface with nothing blocking the vent.
Old 12-10-01, 02:41 PM

Re: Anyone Ever Have Their Dreamcasts Die?

Maybe there's a small possibility that the CD's you are burning have errors as opposed to the motor giving out and the CD not spinning?
Old 12-10-01, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've had one for about a year, no problem. I hope it doesn't die -- it's one of the special black ones, and once you go black, you can't go back.
Old 12-10-01, 03:10 PM

Sometimes mine has trouble reading a few games, i remember the first time I bought Shenmue 1 (it was the $19.99 deal), I popped the first disc in and it went to the DC audio menu. You can bet how shocked I was, after resetting about 3 times it finally read it and I've had no problems ever since. I am thinking that playing the NES emulator wore my system down a little bit but I don't play that too often. .

and uhh yeah although everyone denies it i think playing cdr games does wear the system down, everyone whom I've talked to who uses emulators or cdrs, their DC has minor problems occasionally with not being able to read discs (even real ones).

Last edited by Outlaw; 12-10-01 at 03:13 PM.
Old 12-10-01, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The only problem I've had with my Dreamcast is for some reason it refuses the 3rd disc of Shenmue. I've own the system since 9/9/99 and have left the system on paused for several days at a time. Also, I've never used a CD-R in the system.
Old 12-10-01, 03:55 PM

my dreamcast just died I had since the intial launch. never played cd-r in it. but, i did have a mod chip and I played a lot of imports. luckily, i have another. I don't like imy 2nd one ts extreme load during load times and when i put in the web browser 2.0 it takes forever to load all the gifs.
Old 12-10-01, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Both mine and my brother's have had problems. We both used a lot of cdr games (nester, dreamsnes, segagen etc.) and eventually no games, burned or new, would play. I'm pretty sure burned games do have an effect, you can hear the motor inside straining whenever it played a cdr (then again the DC sounded like it was dying the first day I bought it, that thing made some horrible noises).

Last edited by Icculus; 12-10-01 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-10-01, 04:01 PM
Banned

Ok, so it looks like the burned games do have an effect on it. Damn.

Anyone know how to revive a dead dreamcast?
Old 12-10-01, 06:49 PM

Many DCs have died, and it's not just from running CD-Rs. Dreamcast is currently second only to the original Playstation in terms of fragility. Problems in both revealed themselves 10 to 12 months out.

(By the way, from what I've read, PS2 seems to be coming on strong in an effort to claim that #2 spot. This is a disturbing trend.)
Old 12-10-01, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

my DC grinds like a mofo when im playing burned games

if that causes it to die that would be supa gay

non burned games are lot quieter

Last edited by SpacemanSpiff; 12-10-01 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-10-01, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by mr.snowmizer
Many DCs have died, and it's not just from running CD-Rs. Dreamcast is currently second only to the original Playstation in terms of fragility. Problems in both revealed themselves 10 to 12 months out.

(By the way, from what I've read, PS2 seems to be coming on strong in an effort to claim that #2 spot. This is a disturbing trend.)
The PS2 is well on its way to the number 1 spot.

I don't know anyone thats had trouble with a Dreamcast, so it seems like a pretty good system to me.
Old 12-10-01, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by SpacemanSpiff

My system is pretty noisy when playing regular games. Is it supposed to make that noise?
Old 12-11-01, 02:38 AM

Ok judging from the responses here it would seem that playing GAMES in your dreamcast and PS2 cause the lens to wear down.

On asking sega for comment they responded:
Uh, could you repeat that? I couldn't hear you over the disc reading of the DC.

When Sony was asked for a comment they replied:
We do not support anything that will damage your system. Therefore we recommend that you do not play games on your system if it is wearing the system down.

Great!! I love my DC to death but I just think the loudness of it is funny(yeah its supposed to be that loud its normal), still it doesn't bother me. Actually I was playing Grandia 2 today and it was having some trouble reading it. During the battle sometimes the music drops out until the end of battle. I reset but it then it wouldn't read the disc so I must have pushed play on the menu about 8 times until it started the game. The game is amazing though, it must be some kind of miracle the programers developed on how the DC can stream high quality audio during battle AND the cinema's for the spells at the same time .
Old 12-11-01, 08:20 AM

My brand new dreamcast died the other day . I only had it about 2 weeks. I only played brand new games too. So now I have another new one. I notice this one plays a lot quieter and I was concerned that this one would die soon too so I called sega. They told me that actually the quieter the dreamcast is the better and not the opposite that I was thinking, The Louder the better. The other dreamcast I had that died was very loud.
Old 12-11-01, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I play mostly CD-R games and have had my DC well before CD-R games. If it's a chronic problem, them you may want to look into the power supply. if you are running the DC on a line with small surges, that could easiliy take it out (repeatedly). As far as CDR's wearing out the motor, that's more myth than reality.
Old 12-11-01, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My freind said his power core for the dreamcast went out. Any way to get a new one?
ALso what are the probs with the PS2, I have heard about them not playing dvd games/movies.
Old 12-12-01, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by spongebobfan
My brand new dreamcast died the other day . I only had it about 2 weeks. I only played brand new games too. So now I have another new one. I notice this one plays a lot quieter and I was concerned that this one would die soon too so I called sega. They told me that actually the quieter the dreamcast is the better and not the opposite that I was thinking, The Louder the better. The other dreamcast I had that died was very loud.
what kinda info is sega giving?

thats not good new for me
Old 12-12-01, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Mine died ironically the day before the PS2 came out. I had not even had it for 90 days yet. I had pay for shipping and send it out to Sega. I don't even think they fixed the one I sent them...they just sent me a new DC, controller and all (free controller wooohooo) with a sticker of my old serial number on it.
Old 12-12-01, 10:02 AM

My DC first died in December of 99. Luckily the 90 days just arrived, and just exchanged it for a new one at sears. So my new one is about a year old now, and still working. I played orignal games, but now starting to use cdrs with the emulators and stuff.
Old 12-12-01, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll bet Sega's response to that would be "serves you right!"
Old 12-13-01, 09:58 AM

It seems that when its loud as a helicopter taking off there is a motor problem and it will die. my replacement dc had this, i had to go back and return it. It might be a model # thing there are now two 20's in the house the two that have been replaced were both 30.
I dunno might be a connection
Old 12-13-01, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by sistasoulja
It seems that when its loud as a helicopter taking off there is a motor problem and it will die. my replacement dc had this, i had to go back and return it. It might be a model # thing there are now two 20's in the house the two that have been replaced were both 30.
I dunno might be a connection
what model # thingy?
Old 12-13-01, 12:34 PM

what model # thingy?
on the back of the dreamcast there is a sticker with the model number i think it starts with HC the last 2 digits is the model #
10-1st gen, 20-2nd 30-3rd 35-4th(and last)
i think thats all of them

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.