Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

MS Eyeing Take-Two, Publisher of GTA3?

Old 12-10-01, 09:32 AM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

MS Eyeing Take-Two, Publisher of GTA3?

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...830946,00.html

It would be interesting if they try to aquire the developer as well. That would really put the PS2 fanboys in a good mood.

I own an xbox and love it but I'm still concerned about MS buying up too much and hurting the gaming industry.
Old 12-10-01, 09:48 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Be fine with me.

I wouldn't mind a console exclusive, (still on PC of course), version of Duke Nuken Forever.

Not to mention an exclusive GTA4 with online capablitity.
Old 12-10-01, 10:06 AM

I saw this too.... And the only thing my mind could think of is: This is Microsoft's strategy. Buy up publishers of great gaes and make them exclusive to Xbox.

All of the sudden UbiSoft, and Sega, Taketwo, namco, titus, and EA will all be bought up.
Old 12-10-01, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wonder how the "more consoles, more competition = better games" advocates feel about buying up developers to stifle competition.
Old 12-10-01, 11:08 AM

Microsoft should buy up Hasbro so they can make an Xbox exclusive out of MONOPOLY.
Old 12-10-01, 11:49 AM
dgc

Originally posted by Aghama
I wonder how the "more consoles, more competition = better games" advocates feel about buying up developers to stifle competition.
I personally don't like it no matter who is doing the "buying up".

Less consolidation = more creativity = better games

More consoles = more competition = better games. Although one could argue that the developer will have to spread themselves thin and spend less time on detail & new projects so they can port/develop for other platforms.
Old 12-10-01, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why am I not suprised at all by this? Because this is business as usual for Microsoft. I own a PS2 and while I don't have an interest in the GTA games, I see this as a bad move for the gaming industry. It forces people to choose consoles and in some cases have multiple consoles just to have certain games(even more so than what it is today). I suppose it all happened with MS buying Bungie, set the precedent for the future.
Old 12-10-01, 12:50 PM

Originally posted by dfbennett
Why am I not suprised at all by this? Because this is business as usual for Microsoft. I own a PS2 and while I don't have an interest in the GTA games, I see this as a bad move for the gaming industry. It forces people to choose consoles and in some cases have multiple consoles just to have certain games(even more so than what it is today). I suppose it all happened with MS buying Bungie, set the precedent for the future.
Please, oh please, don't give off the impression that this is the first time one company has been purchased by another in this now-25 year old industry.

And besides, it's a lot better for the smaller company to voluntarily enter into the best deal negotiable (possibly being bought at far more than book value, in this case) than to be forced into console exclusiveness under threat (think Nintendo's mandatory 2-year exclusives in the late 80s).
Old 12-10-01, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by dgc

I personally don't like it no matter who is doing the "buying up".

Less consolidation = more creativity = better games

More consoles = more competition = better games. Although one could argue that the developer will have to spread themselves thin and spend less time on detail & new projects so they can port/develop for other platforms.
Thse two things are mutually exclusive. More competition among hardware platforms means you have the giant companies trying to edge each other out with exclusive games. To get the exclusives, they buy the developers.

So, More consoles= more competition = more developers get bought up by console companies = fewer great games per system.
Old 12-10-01, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What about...

More consoles = more marketing = more gamers = greater revenue = more and better games pumped out in hopes of tapping those dollars.

Old 12-10-01, 02:51 PM

Yeah, buying other successful, yet undervalued, companies is called "being in business to make money." I applaud it when it happens. Welcome to capitalism, folks.
Old 12-10-01, 03:00 PM

yeah I saw that news and was like ,but it was only a matter of time before Microsoft started manipulating the gaming industry like they've already done with the PC OS market, they've got the money to do it and they are the newcomer as well. Sega already has already been passed some cash under the table as well with the cancellation of Shenmue 2 on the DC only a month before its release. I have a feeling microsoft is going to try and really push into the gaming industry considering the lackluster sales of Windows XP on the PC front.

....ok i'm just gonna come out and say it, captiolism or no capitolism, this just sucks if it means GTA4 won't be on the PS2, there's no reason it wouldn't have the online capabalities, Tony Hawk 3 has already proven its possible. Thanks to MS again, another group of fans have been screwed over .
Old 12-10-01, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

snowmizer,
settle down there. I'm not saying that this is to be unexpected or is unusual, however, Microsoft does this alot. Bungie and WebTV are simply examples. I'm not saying it's wrong for companies to do this. You seem to believe that I'm saying it's wrong for one company to buy out another. I never said that. However, Microsoft does this way to often. Rather than compete they simply buy out or "acquire" the rival product. If you believe that MS hasn't done this in the past(and I'm not saying in the case of the XBox so far) then I've got a bridge to sell you. Anyhow, I'm not objecting to companies being bought out, only Microsoft's rampant usage of this technique.
Old 12-10-01, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Hell, if I had the money, I'd buy them out... they have some good games out there and whatever console has exclusivity will garantee some better/higher sale numbers. If MS didn't buy them I wouldn't be surprised to see Sony try to do the same thing.
Old 12-10-01, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Outlaw
it was only a matter of time before Microsoft started manipulating the gaming industry

But its quite alright when Sony does it. How the hell did Sony manage to position themselves as lil' ole underdog Sony? Why does the Box get flak for stuff other companys have already done without comment?
Old 12-10-01, 06:42 PM

snowmizer,
settle down there.
Actually, I'm quite relaxed.

I'm not saying that this is to be unexpected or is unusual, however, Microsoft does this alot. Bungie and WebTV are simply examples. I'm not saying it's wrong for companies to do this. You seem to believe that I'm saying it's wrong for one company to buy out another. I never said that. However, Microsoft does this way to often. Rather than compete they simply buy out or "acquire" the rival product. If you believe that MS hasn't done this in the past(and I'm not saying in the case of the XBox so far) then I've got a bridge to sell you. Anyhow, I'm not objecting to companies being bought out, only Microsoft's rampant usage of this technique.
I originally responded to your use of the word "precedent", which would seem to indicate you're ignoring the countless smaller developers/publishers that the Nintendos, Segas, Electronic Arts, Sonys, Activisions, Infogrames, etc, of the gaming world bought up in the past.

The last time I checked (barring a hostile takeover, which would probably guarantee the developer/programming talent quickly leaving), it takes two sides to agree to the deal. If MS and Take Two work out a deal acceptable to both sides, it "hurts" the industry as much as when Sony bought Psygnosis... in other words, not at all.

It only hurts those hoping for a particular outcome in the system wars.
Old 12-10-01, 07:41 PM

Originally posted by joltaddict

But its quite alright when Sony does it. How the hell did Sony manage to position themselves as lil' ole underdog Sony? Why does the Box get flak for stuff other companys have already done without comment?
What I meant is like the OS market, MS has no competition in that field, what I was worried about is MS buying everything up and then monopolizing the gaming industry, this could be only the first step. Everyone here pretty much agrees that competition among developers is good so lets keep the competition. It may seem far fetched but I'm just one to worry too much heh.

Anyway I'm just a disgruntled DC shenmue fan and PS2 GTA3 fan so don't listen to anything I say, i'm probably just complaining for no reason . Ok ok I'm going back to playing.
Old 12-10-01, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

if you were harping on my usage of the word precedent, I'm not sure why. I was using it to refer specifically to Microsoft acquiring developers(Bungie in my example) and not the acquistion of developers in general. Last I checked that was the appropriate use of the word
Old 12-11-01, 02:08 AM

I don't really understand why some of you are saying this would be a bad thing. The fact that Take 2 is struggling financially just goes to show how tough the video game business is.

The arguement that consolidation will make for less/worse games just isn't true. If Take 2 is really struggling and no one was there to bail them out, They'd end up cutting titles, laying people off and probably selling individual pieces of their company off.

Along comes Microsoft or Sony or EA or Sega or Havas or Activision to save the day. The games that are in production continue to get made and more importantly, the developers don't have to worry about where their paychecks are going to come from.

So you won't be able to play GT4 on PS2. Big deal. You can't play Final Fantasy or Gran Turismo on the Xbox and you can't play Rogue Leader and Smash Brothers on PS2/Xbox.

On a side note, I really question how serious Msoft is about Take 2. They are a HUGE company with an image to look after. Despite how good Grand Theft Auto is, it is still a PR nightmare for a company like Microsoft. I can see it now...

Reporter: "Mr Gates, does the fact that Microsoft is publishing Grand Theft Auto 4 mean that you and your company support sensless violence, drug use and violence towards women?

Bill Gates: "Ummmm Uhhhhhh Ummmmm.... It makes us a lot of money."
Old 12-11-01, 04:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by ipkevin
What about...

More consoles = more marketing = more gamers = greater revenue = more and better games pumped out in hopes of tapping those dollars.

Yes, because a wide market ensures such quality in music, television, movies, and literature.

Seriously, more consoles and more competition means more exclusives, which means that no console will have enough good games to justify buying. If there were half a dozen big companies trying to market consoles, either they would all be pretty weak, or one would dominate and wipe out the others.
Old 12-11-01, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I am not surprised. in fact i expect more targets if the ps2 continues to climb in worldwide units vs the xbox. what choice does microsoft have. buy exclusives or do not get them due to lack of units.
Old 12-13-01, 05:36 AM

Not even worried about it!

It is everybody's presumption that Microsoft has all the money in the world to spend and to pull off something like this....but I believe that Sony is a pretty big company with lots of money and power themselves too, especially in the electronics and gaming industry. I have faith in Sony that no matter what happens, they will not turn their fans down. So what if Microsoft tries to buy the rights for GTA. Let them try!! I would like to see Sony just let Microsoft take away a really good game that's only on the PS2 anyway!! Besides, Microsoft does not have a chance trying to compete against Sony or even Nintendo. I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft discontinued their game consoles all together when the next generation consoles come out. Can't wait for the PS3!!!!
Old 12-13-01, 05:50 AM
Mod Emeritus

Re: Not even worried about it!

Originally posted by ryekim
It is everybody's presumption that Microsoft has all the money in the world to spend and to pull off something like this....but I believe that Sony is a pretty big company with lots of money and power themselves too, especially in the electronics and gaming industry. I have faith in Sony that no matter what happens, they will not turn their fans down. So what if Microsoft tries to buy the rights for GTA. Let them try!! I would like to see Sony just let Microsoft take away a really good game that's only on the PS2 anyway!! Besides, Microsoft does not have a chance trying to compete against Sony or even Nintendo. I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft discontinued their game consoles all together when the next generation consoles come out. Can't wait for the PS3!!!!
You're speaking in Fanboy. Microsoft is not only competing against Nintendo and Sony, they're doing a pretty good job at it as well. Sony helped out an ailing Square, that's what they are doing for their customers: giving them Final Fantasy. Sony doesn't own the rights for GTA3, in fact that game is coming to XBox in Q1 2002.

I personally would like to see MS get Rockstar and Take Two, if only for the fact it would mean they would be strictly developing for a somewhat superior (IMO, and I know it's debatable) console. Right now Rockstar is going for the biggest target audience in PS2, but if they put all their chips in XBox, I think the results would be spectacular.

Not a bad idea to tone down the fanboyistic tendencies, this forum doesn't swing that way. Just an FYI.
Old 12-13-01, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Cysco

On a side note, I really question how serious Msoft is about Take 2. They are a HUGE company with an image to look after. Despite how good Grand Theft Auto is, it is still a PR nightmare for a company like Microsoft. I can see it now...

Reporter: "Mr Gates, does the fact that Microsoft is publishing Grand Theft Auto 4 mean that you and your company support sensless violence, drug use and violence towards women?

Bill Gates: "Ummmm Uhhhhhh Ummmmm.... It makes us a lot of money."
At this point, I'd say Microsoft feels pretty-much invincible when it comes to bad PR. Why shouldn't they? I'd say bad PR over beating up hookers in a video game isn't even on the radar screen.