DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Max Payne (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/164982-max-payne.html)

twisterk23 12-08-01 04:43 PM

Max Payne

whos played Max payne for PS2 and how is it?

madmike 12-08-01 05:34 PM

I haven't played the PS2 version, but I do have the PC version. The PC Max Payne is totally awesome. If the PS2 version is anything like the PC version, it will be a must buy.

The bullet time makes the game. Flying through the air in slo-mo with a couple of automatic weapons is really sweet!

djones6746 12-08-01 05:45 PM

Waiting on Amazon...they have been toying around with the release date on their site....last time I checked they had it listed for 12-14. :)

Hell..I am still playing their last release(GTA3)....now Rockstar has Max Payne coming out and then State of Emergency in Jan....what to do!!! :)

Centurion 12-08-01 07:00 PM

I still have never played Max Payne on any system but have read many positive reviews on the gameplay.
The only thing that concerns me is whether or not the game is actually worth $50.
Isn't the game short? I'm debating whether or not I want to spend the money on a game that will last only a couple of days.

Any thoughts?

madmike 12-08-01 07:18 PM

It's not a really long game, but it's also not all that short. On the PC, when you beat the game it reveals the next difficulty level for you to play the game on. I've found that the gameplay is so great I want to keep playing through it.

Centurion 12-08-01 11:20 PM

Does the XBOX version have anything new that wasn't originally on the PC version? Extra levels, different characters, multi-player, etc.?

ten41 12-08-01 11:30 PM

Originally posted by Centurion
Does the XBOX version have anything new that wasn't originally on the PC version? Extra levels, different characters, multi-player, etc.?
From everything i have read it is the exact same as the pc version.

Centurion 12-08-01 11:34 PM

Originally posted by ten41
From everything i have read it is the exact same as the pc version.
Well, I guess I've finally decided.
I'll rent it for 5 days at BBV.

Cyberock 12-09-01 01:58 AM

I'm debating on getting the XBOX or the PS2 version. I guess they are going to be the same so I'll probably get the XBOX version.

cubanx 12-09-01 06:37 AM

Somewhere they where previewing the PS2 and XBOX versions and clearly stated the XBOX version was as good or better then the PC version in graphics. Maybe it was over @ IGN...

Anyway I play DOA3 cuz "She Kicks High"

mrglass 12-10-01 07:27 AM

I had the X-Box version preordered at Amazon since I had a GC, but I went ahead and bought the PS2 version from Best Buy yesterday (Note to BB employees...thanks a whole lot for placing the games in an unmarked yellow shopping cart. That really made finding the game so much easier!).

The controls seem a little twitchy (left stick moves Max, while the right is used to aim), but you can adjust the sensitivity of the sticks in the options menu.

The only other gripe I have is that the loading times are a bit on the long side...

Other than those two minor nitpicks, I'm having a lot of fun with it. I've got to get used to using "bullet time." There were a couple of occasions where I forgot about BT and went blasting into a room, only to end up dead five seconds later. I have to remember that bullet time is my friend. :)

Brian Shannon 12-10-01 09:46 AM

Played the PC demo version and like it alot.

I am awaiting the XBox version. I think it will be awesome on my TV.

Kudama 12-10-01 01:12 PM

It seems like the little nub controller would be much harder to aim with than a mouse for the PC version given the extremely hectic pace of certain skirmishes. With the mouse, you just put the little dot right where you want the trauma to occur and it’s there. With the nub type control, it seems like the little dot would take it’s time moving to the location on the screen. At least that’s my experience with crosshair type games on these type of control platforms (eg. Resident Evil: Survivor). For PC, I loooove this game, but it seems like it wouldn’t be the same experience with a handheld controller.

BTW, does anyone have any hints for me.
Spoiler:
I’m stuck at the part where you have the bat, but no guns. I’ve taken out the guy to the left, gotten his gun and been mowed down. Taken out the guys to the right, got their guns and have been mowed down. I even figured out how to get the guy on the left with the sawed-off to take out his friend with the Ingrams for you. I’ve used bullet time, I’ve holed up in all sorts of defensible positions, I’ve even done a Willem Defoe from Platoon style run past all the thugs (ended up in some room teeming with ‘em and was mowed down).
Is there something I’m missing, or do I just need to be a better shot? I’m gonna have to rename my character crab grass ‘cause I don’t want to use a cheat code.

This part’s pissing me off, but I still dig this damn game!

CKMorpheus 12-10-01 03:44 PM

Originally posted by Kudama
It seems like the little nub controller would be much harder to aim with than a mouse for the PC version given the extremely hectic pace of certain skirmishes. With the mouse, you just put the little dot right where you want the trauma to occur and it’s there. With the nub type control, it seems like the little dot would take it’s time moving to the location on the screen. At least that’s my experience with crosshair type games on these type of control platforms (eg. Resident Evil: Survivor). For PC, I loooove this game, but it seems like it wouldn’t be the same experience with a handheld controller.

Spoiler:
I’m stuck at the part where you have the bat, but no guns. I’ve taken out the guy to the left, gotten his gun and been mowed down. Taken out the guys to the right, got their guns and have been mowed down. I even figured out how to get the guy on the left with the sawed-off to take out his friend with the Ingrams for you. I’ve used bullet time, I’ve holed up in all sorts of defensible positions, I’ve even done a Willem Defoe from Platoon style run past all the thugs (ended up in some room teeming with ‘em and was mowed down).
Is there something I’m missing, or do I just need to be a better shot? I’m gonna have to rename my character crab grass ‘cause I don’t want to use a cheat code.

If I remember correctly...

Spoiler:

When you walk out the door, that will trigger the guys to start walking. Go back into the boiler room, and have the camera so you can see around the corner while staying in the boiler room. Watch the two guys walking past. Then wait... another two guys will walk past. Then walk slowly, a safe distance away from them, behind them, follow them around the corner. And then, on the left, will be a garage-type door that is open. Inside are a few guys that will kill you on sight. On the right is a door. Run quickly past the garage door to the closed door on the right, and get inside. There are a whole bunch of weapons there for you to take to get ready to kick some ***. :cool:

SmackDaddy 12-10-01 03:50 PM

I think most people would be better off with a 5day rental. Don't get me wrong, the game is pretty darn cool, just short. Around 8-12 hours of gameplay and nothing new when you finish, other than a harder difficulty level.

Originally posted by Kudama
Spoiler:

The best way I found to do this is(I played the PC version but it shoulds be identical):
Spoiler:
3 guys will pass buy first, let them by, a minute later 2 will pass by. You have to be quick with this, you need to wack the guy with the uzi, grab his gun and kill his buddy(do this right before they round the corner). Then run back towards the hall you walk out of, but keep going till you round the next corner(right) and go into the first room onthe left. There are 2 guys in there, one with a shotgun, and take them out. You should be able to gather yourself before you confront the rest of the bas guys in the area.

Cyberock 12-10-01 04:22 PM

What's with that black box in the posts?????

Shuki 12-10-01 04:49 PM

spoiler tags!! if you want to read the info under the black boxes click and drag across them :)

ten41 12-10-01 07:30 PM

Gamespot gave the ps2 version an 8 and the x-box version a 9.2.

The same person reviewed both games.

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters...477671,00.html

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...831467,00.html

Cyberock 12-10-01 07:31 PM

Originally posted by Shuki
spoiler tags!! if you want to read the info under the black boxes click and drag across them :)
Thanks! Never knew that!

Kudama 12-11-01 10:47 AM

Thanks youse guys! :)

I used CKMorpheus’ method and it worked on my second try (I got too anxious the first time and thug boy clipped me) and now I’m in the room mit der guns. Now I’m stuck there but it is way more fun because…
Spoiler:
besides having weapons now, I have partial cover behind a crate and there is a propane tank in the corner that knocks another propane tank into a big acetylene tank and if the timing is right (has been once) it takes out like five or six guys! When I get home I’m gonna try to put each of my 5 Desert Eagle rounds into 5 guys’ foreheads and then hit the tank and THEN put some 12 gauge into whoever is standing there waiting for the tanks to blow them up. Easier said than done (funner too). Maybe I’ll hit the tank first and then go to slo-mo to use up the DE rounds as it takes a while for the tanks to blossom and I’m still taking fatal hits. I don’t know. Isn’t that what F9 is for?

BTW, has anyone utilized the level design function on this yet? I saw it advertised on the box, but it doesn’t exactly pop out on the menus. I haven’t really looked either as I’ve been busy bustin’ caps on these lowlife rat bastards that done me wrong.

Rox_Boseafus 12-12-01 12:05 AM

Modifications....

PC..PC..PC!!!

I have all the new consoles and a PC. The main reason you should almost ALWAYS by a shooter on a PC is that extras you can Download in the form of Modifications. at Maxpaynecenter.com you can d/l many cool mods including the options to give you kungfu like in the Matrix. In fact, someone mapped the lobby scene and it rocks. I also play another version that turns ya into Chow yun Fat. Very cool moves. You just get much more bang for your buck.

Yet if you can't afford a killer PC rig...then nevermind.

Nate

Kudama 12-12-01 12:01 PM

Re: Modifications....

Originally posted by Rox_Boseafus
you can Download in the form of Modifications. at Maxpaynecenter.com
That site kicks @ss!!!!!

Do you know if those “Total Conversions” can be downloaded and played while you still have a running standard MP game saved?

Rox_Boseafus 12-12-01 12:59 PM

Yes. You can d/L as many as you want and play them all seperatly. There is pull down menu with all of the different TC's you can play. Very Cool!

Kudama 12-12-01 02:02 PM

A big fat :thumbsup:

I'm doing this when I get home tonight. (I wanna go home NOW!)
I can't wait to see the Castor Troy skin. :)