Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

How Many Generations of Consoles before we get PHOTOREALISM in Games ?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 12-08-01, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Been playing Smackdown 3 on the PS2 at my cousin's house. Good game and of course a definite improvement over Smackdown 2 on the PS1

But you know, it's still rendered graphics. How long before playing Smackdown X on a games console is indistingisable visually from watching Smackdown on TV ?

I reckon 3-4 more generations of consoles.

I reckon, It's not that they couldn't do it now, it's just that the console powerful to do it would cost 5 grand or something
Old 12-08-01, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: How Many Generations of Consoles before we get PHOTOREALISM in Games ?

Originally posted by Original Desmond

I reckon, It's not that they couldn't do it now, it's just that the console powerful to do it would cost 5 grand or something
It's a good question, but I don't think it's possible yet. Final Fantasy : TSW was supposed to be photo-realistic computer generated graphics, and while it was very good, it still didn't look totally natural. I think we're still a ways off. That said, there are times in Gran Turismo 3 that I swear it looks like I'm watching actual video footage of cars racing by, not rendered images. Of course, cars are a lot easier to render than people.
Old 12-08-01, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I saw one interesting article related to this. It brought up a good point: When consoles reach that level of power, only the richest or most dedicated developers will have the skills and resources needed to create photo-realistic games. You're already starting to see it now on the PS2 and Xbox.

I suppose people could create standard objects though..
Old 12-08-01, 12:24 PM
Retired

Don't know, and really don't care. Graphical advancements don't excite me that much. I play games to have fun, and IMO great graphics don't make games more fun. I'm more interested in innovative gameplay than innovative graphics.
Old 12-08-01, 12:36 PM

We're pretty close in terms of non-animal things. There are in-gameplay parts of Rogue Squadron that look pretty close to the movies. Some of the leaves and rocks in Pikmin are also startingly realistic.
Old 12-08-01, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The thing I wonder is, when we do hit true photorealism, where you absolutely cannot tell the game from looking out your window -- will we ever upgrade again? Seriously, what would be the point?
Old 12-08-01, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by einTier
The thing I wonder is, when we do hit true photorealism, where you absolutely cannot tell the game from looking out your window -- will we ever upgrade again? Seriously, what would be the point?
Yes because as Joshinkle quite rightly said, there are more to games than graphics. Gameplay can always improve.

games which come out displaying a new groundbreaking level of graphics usually don't have the very best gameplay, then other games come out with that same level of graphics but with better gameplay
Old 12-08-01, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What I'm wondering is when we will reach the point that the development time and costs will be too great to keep up with the power of the consoles.

If future consoles are even more powerful how will developers keep up? Big money titles like Madden, Final Fantasy, Gran Turismo, etc can afford to have spend big bucks on game development, but how will the smaller developers compete?
Old 12-08-01, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

All I want are 360-degree photorealistic environment goggles and gloves that make you feel like you're touching solid objects so I can have a multiplayer seamless-reality gaming experience. Is that too much to ask?

Seriously, though, wouldn't it be awesome if they came out with some kind of game/system where there was no plot whatsoever (or, conversely, many, many different plots) but you could do anything you wanted to do?
Old 12-08-01, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Personally I'd rather play full Virtual Reality Quake, even with basic Quake graphics at an affordable price. Something like that would be really nice.

Tuan Jim
Old 12-08-01, 08:18 PM

Originally posted by Breakfast with Girls
Seriously, though, wouldn't it be awesome if they came out with some kind of game/system where there was no plot whatsoever (or, conversely, many, many different plots) but you could do anything you wanted to do?
You've pretty much described "The Sims Online."
Old 12-09-01, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Groucho
You've pretty much described "The Sims Online."
You can pick up any object in the game? You can rob a bank if you want, or talk the bank into loaning you enough money to finance your dream of building a shoe factory? You can kill someone and hide them under your bed, or go on a vacation to an island resort?
Old 12-09-01, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You can pick up any object in the game? You can rob a bank if you want, or talk the bank into loaning you enough money to finance your dream of building a shoe factory? You can kill someone and hide them under your bed, or go on a vacation to an island resort?
No but you can instill homosexuality in your Sims and kill them in really cool ways!
Old 12-09-01, 07:56 PM

I don't know about any of that stuff (the game isn't out yet) except I know that you will be able to be a thief and if the game is like The Sims you should be able to interact with every object in the game. But basically your Sim lives in a virtual world with other Sims, you'll be able to choose a career path, buy houses and furnish them, open businesses, etc.
Old 12-09-01, 09:36 PM
Mod Emeritus

When does the Sims Online come out? Where can I find out more info about it?
Old 12-09-01, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And of course those homosexual Sims are the ones that need to be killed, right?

I'm KIDDING! Just saw a way to be annoying, so I took it.

CFG!