Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

DVD Review should stick to DVDs. :)

Old 12-06-01, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

DVD Review should stick to DVDs. :)

http://www.dvdreview.com/html/the_wa..._consoles.html

Yet another opinion of the console war. Some good points are made, but we all have made them here. Many bad points are made as well. My favorite quote of the article.

"Nintendo on the other hand remains very hard-line traditional. The first batch of games includes “Luigi’s Castle” and other “Super Mario” titles, continuing essentially where the “Nintendo 64” left off."

Luigi's Castle sounds like a good game and I'm sorry I missed it. I will have to pick up all the other Super Mario Titles that are out as well.

Another good one.
"Sadly Microsoft’s first- and third-party development executives are poorly picked, funneling the PC-feel even further, rather than breaking that mold to embrace the hard-core console gamers. "

I don't think this is a fair statement either.
Old 12-06-01, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am with you 100%. I feel the same about my car magazine sport compact car doing record reviews. Stick to what you know.
Old 12-06-01, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

“Playstation 2” is simply outdated. Even after dropping the retail price significantly, people just don’t seem to care much for the consoles...
Finally, Sony sees the light and drops the price!
Why isnt this being reported anywhere?
Old 12-06-01, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wow, what ever happened to double checking their sources.
Old 12-06-01, 11:18 PM

They forgot to mention the upcoming Mario's Halo Solid 3. That is the killer @pp!
Old 12-06-01, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just don't send any critical e-mails to them about this. They will threaten legal action against not only you but DVDTalk.com itself. We had this problem with incorrectly reported "facts" on a DVD they reviewed. After getting many e-mails from the forum goers about the true facts, they threatened legal action on the site's owner and also said that their e-mails could not be pasted because the law protected them.

So, sadly, they will continue to incorrectly report "facts". Just don't send them e-mail or they may threaten legal action on Geoff for no apparant reason.
Old 12-06-01, 11:50 PM

Originally posted by AgtFox
Just don't send any critical e-mails to them about this. They will threaten legal action against not only you but DVDTalk.com itself. We had this problem with incorrectly reported "facts" on a DVD they reviewed. After getting many e-mails from the forum goers about the true facts, they threatened legal action on the site's owner and also said that their e-mails could not be pasted because the law protected them.

So, sadly, they will continue to incorrectly report "facts". Just don't send them e-mail or they may threaten legal action on Geoff for no apparant reason.
Wha?? i never heard about that. Psycos.
Old 12-06-01, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by ClarkKentKY
Wha?? i never heard about that. Psycos.
It's related to another site that I actually help moderate the forum for. You would never have heard it because DVDReview doesn't want their e-mails printed out for the amusement and criticism of others. We had a good laugh in the staff forum though .

This happened well over a year ago by the way. I have never visited the site since.
Old 12-07-01, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had emailed him before I read this thread. I was tactful yet blunt about his "facts". I have been an avid gamer for almost 25 years, since the first Odyssey Pong systems came out in the late 70's. I argued against a couple of his points.

He emailed me back basically calling me an idiot fanboy, that I knew nothing of the video game industry and that he was the expert, not I.

I will refrain from typing my thoughts & rebuttal on this board as I do not wish to cause any problems for Mr. Kleinman, but I bet many of your responses would be the same as mine

I had DVDreview.com as one of my bookmarks. The operative word being "had".
Old 12-07-01, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Post your e-mail to him, I'd like to read it...

Anyway, most of what was said is nothing new, and there were, of course, blatantly wrong things (saying that the GameCube's marketing is very kiddy-oriented, for one -- huh?). His comment about other "Super Mario" titles at launch (besides "Luigi's Mansion") had me at a loss... the only one off-hand that relates in any way to Mario near launch is SSBM.

Well, whatever. He couldn't do anything to this site if he felt like suing. The case would be dismissed. With any luck he would receive a fine for needless litigation (though not likely).
Old 12-07-01, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by freudguy
He emailed me back basically calling me an idiot fanboy
He called me the X-Cubes's bitch!
Old 12-07-01, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They should stick to DVDs? Why? I stopped visiting them about a year ago because of all their incorrect "news" they reported. I happened to go there the other day, though, looking for a review of a disc I couldn't find on other sites. I decided to look at their news page and, lo and behold, the first headline I saw was that HBO is releasing Larry Sanders to DVD when, in actuality, Columbia-Tristar is releasing it - HBO has nothing to do with the release. Looks like they've improved their fact-checking in the last year.
Old 12-08-01, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by scott27
They should stick to DVDs? Why?
Actually, that is a great point. They have had so many errors on DVDs that its not even worth going there for that.

I've removed it from my list of sites to go to.
Old 12-08-01, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And another thing - they can threaten legal action all they want... they won't do anything and they don't have a legal leg to stand on in any case. I say we send a bunch of emails (I mean if you're really that hard up for something to do) and annoy the pi$$ outta this guy. He seems to be a high-strung childish nerd. We can copy and paste anything we want off that site as long as we give credit as to where it came from - they can't sue nothin' and they don't intend to... empty threats is all it is. Agt Fox you should've called his bluff - he's full of it. He's probably never even met a lawyer much less actually have one working for him.
Old 12-08-01, 03:01 AM

Originally posted by freudguy
I will refrain from typing my thoughts & rebuttal on this board as I do not wish to cause any problems for Mr. Kleinman, but I bet many of your responses would be the same as mine
Please post - I'd be very interested to see what he had to say.

As it stands, it should be an interesting read when I get my response.
Old 12-08-01, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
And another thing - they can threaten legal action all they want... they won't do anything and they don't have a legal leg to stand on in any case. I say we send a bunch of emails (I mean if you're really that hard up for something to do) and annoy the pi$$ outta this guy. He seems to be a high-strung childish nerd. We can copy and paste anything we want off that site as long as we give credit as to where it came from - they can't sue nothin' and they don't intend to... empty threats is all it is. Agt Fox you should've called his bluff - he's full of it. He's probably never even met a lawyer much less actually have one working for him.
I was not the site owner to choose whether to call his bluff or not. However, even the threat of legal action can be stressful and time consuming. Everyone sues everyone today it seems, it would put undue stress on people that don't deserve it. It's best to leave it alone. DVDReview is just run by a bunch of children and it's not worth it to stoop to their level. They believe everything they say is right and we have no power to change their thoughts. We can only hope people don't go to DVDReview and it folds.
Old 12-08-01, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I will post my message Monday, it's on my laptop which I locked up @ work.

I'll paraphrase his response: He's a game developer & producer &, thus, an expert. My knowledge is academic "at best". He implied that my opinion was of a fanboy only & that I didn't know how things really were.
I asked him what games he had been involved with. He replied w/ Realms of Arkania, Fallout 2, & an undisclosed Squaresoft game. All good games but only in a niche category - RPG's.
What he doesn't realize is this: Who makes a game successful? We do. You can't tell me that developers & producers don't consult people like me (us) for ideas.
I've been an avid gamer for many, many years. I read magazines, websites, etc. I know what makes this business tick & I know what makes a good game.
He's just pompous or insecure. I'm not sure which.

I just read that post about the PS2 selling 600,000+ units since Thanksgiving. Yeah, buddy. You're right. The PS2 is old news & washed up