Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Ok, tell me about Super Smash Bros. Melee!

Old 12-06-01, 09:58 AM

Ok, tell me about Super Smash Bros. Melee!

I am completely unfamiliar with this game, but I've heard people raving about it and looking forward to it for months. Now I'm wondering if this would be a great game that my wife and I could play together. Here's a brief background:

I enjoy fighters occasionally, though I'm not totally into them like some folks. I enjoyed most of the MK series, SSF II, and Soul Calibur for the DC. It was Soul Calibur that my wife got into as well, surprisingly as she normally doesn't play those types of games much, but she learned a few Xiang Hua basic moves, and we enjoyed playing it together. Normally she's into the simple, cutesy games.

So what is it about Super Smash Bros. Melee? Does it sound like something my wife might be able to get into and enjoy?
Old 12-06-01, 11:09 AM

It takes alot of famous Nintendo characters, and lets you fight them with their own famous moves. I'm still playing it and loving it!!
Old 12-06-01, 11:16 AM

I'm not a fan of fighters either. However, I blew my lunch hour yesterday playing the game on a kiosk in EB. I described it to my wife and she sounds interested (we have enjoyed Mario Party, Mario Tennis, and Mario Golf together). I don't know what kind of "mad skillz" your wife has, but if she isn't the world's best gamer, the easy mode is...well, easy. I tried this level and I was just mashing buttons and moving around randomly and I won without taking any damage.
Old 12-06-01, 11:27 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've got a couple questions myself since my interest has changed as well (from none to "hmm, maybe i should pick up one of these Gamecube things):

I know you can play 4 players at a time but is it 2 vs 2 or every (wo)man for her/himself or both?

If there's free-for-all, what's to keep 3 players from teaming up on one and kickin' his/her *** in the first few seconds of the match or does that not tend to happen in w/ this game?

--HN
Old 12-06-01, 12:01 PM

To answer your questions:

1. You can do it anyway you want. You can make teams, so you can't accidentally hit another member of your team, or you can make it a free-for-all (with hit points at 0, or you can have it so that everyone starts with 300% hits, so that one hit and you'll be gone)

2. Nothing. After that person(s) gone though, the other three will have to fight until there's a sole winner.
Old 12-06-01, 12:39 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Chaos
To answer your questions:

1. You can do it anyway you want. You can make teams, so you can't accidentally hit another member of your team, or you can make it a free-for-all (with hit points at 0, or you can have it so that everyone starts with 300% hits, so that one hit and you'll be gone)

2. Nothing. After that person(s) gone though, the other three will have to fight until there's a sole winner.
Thanks for the info . prolly gonna suck for the player who's supposedly "good" when going up against everyone else. I've seen it happen in some battle royal wrestling games. ah well.

/me looks for AMEX Blue card

--HN
Old 12-06-01, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by HN
Thanks for the info . prolly gonna suck for the player who's supposedly "good" when going up against everyone else. I've seen it happen in some battle royal wrestling games. ah well.
Just changes the dynamics. Although I haven't got a chance to play Melee yet (my friend has it, but I've been way too busy with classes), I am excellent with Pikachu in the N64 original. One of my other friends is the best player I've ever seen on the game... so much so that everyone else hates when he plays. Anymore, I can usually go toe-to-toe with him after everyone else is dead, and it's gotten to be where I win about 50% of the time against him. He plays Ness.