Shenmue II Possible Coming to Gamecube

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 12-04-01, 10:16 PM
Retired

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from Planet Gamecube and GameCube-Europe:

A comment from Sega's Charles Bellfield leaves the issue up in the air, but it's interesting nonetheless.

According to GameCube-Europe, Sega's VP Charles Bellfield recently made an interesting statement in Europe's NGC Magazine (formerly N64 Magazine):

"We have a few gems to release on the Gamecube that we have not revealed yet, and we feel that the Shenmue series would find the format an interesting prospect. Athough we have signed an agreement of sorts with Microsoft for their Xbox console, Sega have multiple tactics across all of our development teams, and Yu Suzuki isn't simply going to port Shenmue 2 to Xbox.''

Hey, so do we! Although certainly a promising (and intriguing) comment from Sega, this shouldn't be misconstrued as anything more than a sly remark. For now, Shenmue 2 will be released in North America ONLY on Xbox. If anything further is announced with regards to a possible GameCube version, we'll let you know.

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 12-04-01 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12-05-01, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Considering the production costs that have went into Shenmue and Shenmue 2, Sega really has no choice, but to release it on more than the X box. They are in the hole by millions on these projects. The only way to make that money back is to get Shenmue 2 on to multiple consoles and then release Shenmue 3 cross platform.
Old 12-05-01, 10:51 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Very Doubtful. If they did decide to release it on the Cube, Sega would have to give that truckload of money back to Microsoft; which paid for the exclusive rights.
Old 12-05-01, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It hasn't been publically stated that Microsoft paid for Exclusive rights to Shenmue. Rarely do companies offer exclusive games to consoles. It's too risky. It may be an exclusive version perhaps, but totally exclusive- I doubt it.

Same with DOA3, which is not going to make all the R&D money back that was spend on development. DOA2 didn't even break even. DOA3 will probably make its way over to PS2 and GC in the next year or so as different versions.
Old 12-05-01, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm too lazy to dig it up, but I DO believe it was publically stated that Microsoft bought exclusive NORTH AMERICAN rights to Shenmue 2. This is why it wasn't released in the US on the DC (the title was completed, and the English version was released in Europe).
Old 12-05-01, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm hoping one of these "gems" will also be a new Nights game!

As far as Shenmue 2.....I'm still waiting for my Euro DC copy to arrive (should any day now) but that would be great if it came out on all platforms, that way no one would have to worry about which system to buy for Shenmue 3 . It would be a nice saving grace especially for US DC owners who were screwed over by Sega.
Old 12-05-01, 05:44 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Electric2k
I'm too lazy to dig it up, but I DO believe it was publically stated that Microsoft bought exclusive NORTH AMERICAN rights to Shenmue 2. This is why it wasn't released in the US on the DC (the title was completed, and the English version was released in Europe).
However, as stated above, all they'd have to do is change it a little DOA2 was exclusive to the Dreamcast, then they put out DOA2 hardcore or whatever it was called for the PS2. Most exclusive arrangements are only for a limited time anyway. For example I'm sure the Resident Evil games, especially 4 and 0, will eventually find their way to the other systems and not stay permenantly Gamecube exclusives. At any rate, I don't personally care about Shemue II as I didn't like the first game that well, but I know a lot of GC fans would love to have it.
Old 12-05-01, 06:18 PM

I've had this conversation before... just to clarify: DoA2 was never exclusive to DC. It wasn't even coming out on the DC in Japan! It come out here first on DC and they made it seem exclusive because of the 6 month gap, when in reality, it was on the 6th month that PS2 launched. It only later went to DC in Japan AFTER the PS2 version. Just to clarify that.
Old 12-05-01, 08:00 PM
Mod Emeritus

I don't mind a port, as long as they don't make some water down version of the game, a weakest common denominator of sorts, making it portable to consoles.

If MS is paying them for a exclusive version, it better be built around the XBox's hardware and taking full advantage of the XBox's features.