Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Check Out MY Ultimate Gaming/dvd Rig

Old 12-03-01, 01:19 AM

Check Out MY Ultimate Gaming/dvd Rig

finally got around to making a crappy webiste for all of you to drool over. The pics are extra dark cuz the room is pitch black with 1 ceiling light, the best setup is always in pitch black. The tv has the black borders on it so the silver doesnt reflect any extra light, i know its ghetto but it works. The best is playing gamecube and x-box in 480P! It Fricken Awesome. Tell me what you think........

There are more pics on the photo page

BTW there are 4 black leather chairs all with ottomans. Remember, i play games in the dark, so the way the TV itself looks doesn't mean anything to anyone, its the way the TV displays an image thats important. I also have mattes to cover up the top and bottom of the front of the tv.

Hardware
X-box hooked up with hi-def av pack
Jet Black Gamecube with hi-def component cables
PS2 with monster s-video cable
Dreamcast with s-video
JVC XV723GD Progressive Scan DVD Player/monster component cables
Yamaha HTR-5280 Receiver
JBL ND310 fronts (each have dual 10" woofers)
JBL N-Center Center Channel
JBL N38 rears
Samsung TX 2790 Progressive Scan Capable 27" Flatscreen
JBL PB12 Subwoofer stacked underneath.....
Infinity 12" subwoofer both with monster subwoofer cables
MONSTER HTS 1000 stage 2 clean power circuitry
Assorted extra monster cabling
Tech Craft 32" tv stand
Tech Craft Component rack with smoke glass front
2 dvd racks holding a total of 240+ dvds (no vhs in my setup )
dvd rack with ps2/xbox/gamecube games
cd rack with assorted dreamcast and ps1 games
4 black leather recliners
4 black leather ottomans
neutral gray walls for controlled lighting
pitch black 24 hours a day (except when the ceiling light is on)

Soon to have 53" Hi-Def Pioneer sd-533hd5 or toshiba 50h81

http://albertoham.freeservers.com/

Last edited by vwbeetlvr; 12-03-01 at 02:10 AM.
Old 12-03-01, 01:33 AM

Must resist urge ... to kill and steal ... urge to kill rising ...
Old 12-03-01, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Check Out MY Ultimate Gaming/dvd Rig

Originally posted by vwbeetlvr
Tell me what you think........

To be honest... that is a very unimpressive setup. I mean, you got the hardware and thats cool but the room is blah. 2 black chairs in a black room with black consoles, etc... Just not my cup of tea. And those black pieces of paper or whatever on the sides of the TV looks tacky. I guess I like just a little "life" to my rooms....
Old 12-03-01, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How big is the tv, looks small to me.
Old 12-03-01, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Want to see mine? No killing and stealing. Forgive my crappy digital camera please I don't really have spots on things.
http://www.ratpalace.com/mwf/files/41594-living2.JPG (it really doesn't have spots on it and my cat is usually there in that same spot)
http://www.ratpalace.com/mwf/files/41595-living3.JPG (with it covered up)
http://www.ratpalace.com/mwf/files/41593-living1.JPG Rear view, like I said forgive the spots, camera is garbage. I bought it for ebay purposes.
Yes I do play video games on this thing, it can get pretty intense.

What black pieces of paper is he talking about? I can't find anything like that on there. I see a cute little kid though.

Last edited by Don Catchpole; 12-03-01 at 02:46 AM.
Old 12-03-01, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

To be honest... that is a very unimpressive setup. I mean, you got the hardware and thats cool but the room is blah. 2 black chairs in a black room with black consoles, etc... Just not my cup of tea. And those black pieces of paper or whatever on the sides of the TV looks tacky. I guess I like just a little "life" to my rooms....
i have to second his opinion. the room is suck -- nice hardware but the cheap-o strips of paper on the side adds a cheap feel to the room. and while it may do the trick when the room is dark, it just looks awful with the lights on. also, i noticed the room looked small. IMO, painting it black was the wrong move since dark colors just makes the space look even smaller. and with all those components and racks, the room looks suffocating for just two people. i couldn't imagine fitting four people (4 xbox controllers) in that room. also, what is the trash can doing in front next to the tv? shouldn't it be at the back of the room out of immediate view? sharp is not an adjective i would use to describe the room. the wires to the speakers and subwoofer should run along the molding (or through the wall). i think the room is just too small to add more components. i can't imagine having an even larger screen tv in that room -- the seats are just too close man!

but to each their own, right?
Old 12-03-01, 02:57 AM

Thanks for the constructive criticism. I'm gonna move the garbage can out of the way, its in a temporary spot as it is. The room is kinda small, 13X17, and i sit about 4-5 feet away from the tv. I Havent cut the black strips on the sides of the tv to the perfect size yet, but rest assured it will look as good as possible when done. The black strips are made of a cloth - velvet type material, hard to explain.

Again, THE GREY COLOR WAS CHOSEN to have the least amount of reflection in the dark, its a room the is solely USED IN THE DARK, i just have to turn the lights on to get in and put in a game or movie, THATS IT. I understamd you guys think the paint is ugly, and its ugly for a reason, to give you the right lighting in the dark. And yes the chairs are very close together, in fact the touch each other, but hey this is the size room i got stuck with and its what i have to work with. Usually i dont even have 4 people in the room so i can move on of the recliners out of the way and make more room.

Also the pics were a rush job, i should clean everything up and use better lighting so you can get a true impression.
Old 12-03-01, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Now I get the strips. I thought that was part of the tv. I happen to love the grey paint. If there were a little more room in there it would look awesome with a grey and black throw rug and toss pillows, maybe a border with some black geometric pattern on the wall as well. I'm up too late and somehow I've turned into Christopher Lowell.
Old 12-03-01, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

dudE you have got a lot of stuff!!! I wish I had that kind of money to have all 3 systems, the best games for each system, AND a huge sound setup. Unfortunately I'm a poor college student with limited funds . Bet that little boy in the pictures never gets bored though .

The wire's coming off the 4 X-Box controllers look a little messy though, maybe if you put the system closer to the bottom of your rack the controller wires won't dangle all over the DVD player and everything below it.
Old 12-03-01, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by vwbeetlvr
Again, THE GREY COLOR WAS CHOSEN to have the least amount of reflection in the dark, its a room the is solely USED IN THE DARK, i just have to turn the lights on to get in and put in a game or movie, THATS IT. I understamd you guys think the paint is ugly, and its ugly for a reason, to give you the right lighting in the dark. And yes the chairs are very close together, in fact the touch each other, but hey this is the size room i got stuck with and its what i have to work with. Usually i dont even have 4 people in the room so i can move on of the recliners out of the way and make more room.
like i said, to each their own. also, instead of the cloth job, ever considering some more fitting -- like some black wood to match the shelving? i think that would be a good improvement. and i know about small rooms -- my entertainment room isn't that much bigger than yours.

glad you didn't read my last post as nothing but bad criticism.
Old 12-03-01, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just now noticed 240 dvds! That rules! Do you have a list somewhere? How did you pay for all those and still have time to play all those video game systems? I also meant to ask you which of your systems gets the most use. I have a gamecube and ps2 but wonder what I'm missing with the xbox. I still love the grey paint by the way and think it really works with the black furniture. I used to have a room 12 x 15 that had a 55 inch tv in it so there is no reason you shouldn't be able to. Maybe you might want to consider a sectional sofa in the future or something of that nature.

Last edited by Don Catchpole; 12-03-01 at 10:50 PM.
Old 12-04-01, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here is my rig. I still need to fix the pictures on my web page. But, this will do for now.

edstein's digital media rig

fixed pics

Last edited by edstein; 12-04-01 at 09:41 PM.
Old 12-04-01, 03:55 AM

Nice rig edstein.

How do keep down the glare from that window to the left of the TV?

-Naan
Old 12-04-01, 03:29 PM
Suspended

Click the Links Below to see mine. I've added a PS2 to the DC. No Xbox yet, but maybe in the future.
Old 12-04-01, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Naan
Nice rig edstein.

How do keep down the glare from that window to the left of the TV?

-Naan
Right now I just have a pull down blind. I am looking for some cool drapes to block out more sun. For now its not so bad, I only watch movies and play games after work.

Scarpa, that is a cool setup. The room looks a little cramped, but I like the nick-nacks.