Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Are my reasons for buying an XBox all wrong?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-01, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Okay I know the first one is wrong. I also know I am a moron. Let me just say that I thought I was done with games. My most advanced system is still my PS. I never bought N64, DC, or PS2. But now I just have the urge to play!!!!! And here is why I'm about to buy an XBox instead of a PS2:

1.) PS2 is damn ugly. Believe it or not, that does play a factor in my decision

2.) The XBox is the "new" thing. Everyone wants to get the new thing as opposed to the old PS2.

3.) It's the same price as the PS2. This kinda ties in with #2. If I buy a PS2 now I'd feel like I just missed out on an entire year because I could have bought one for the exact same price one year ago. I'd feel gyped!

4.) I like the harddrive thing.

As you can see, I'm not a "gamer" by any means. I just want to play my sports games and that's it. I'm not even going to get Halo...at least not until it's one of those "best seller" game for $20. But I'll be damned if I can find an XBox anywhere. I checked all the stores near me in the MD/DC area. I saw one at Target yesterday but some dude got to it before I could.

Last edited by Trelach24; 11-30-01 at 07:10 PM.
Old 11-30-01, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I am not a video game loyalist, so hopefully my opinions on the consoles is not biased. I actually think that with the 3 that are out there, a person really cannot go wrong. I also like the HD thing, and think that Microsoft is very powerful and will make the system great. But I also know that Nintendo will put out great 1st party games. I agree with the feeling that PS2 has already been out a year, so I would rather have a new something else, but they also have more games currently and a deal with Squaresoft.

Like I said, you can't go wrong, and eventually when they end up around $100 (and they will within a few years) I will buy them all.
Old 11-30-01, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's EA's stance on the X-Box? If you just want sports games, that's a big issue.
Old 11-30-01, 08:13 PM

To me the hard drive is only inviting disaster.

I say go for a Dreamcast. $50 and it will knock your damn socks off.

Plus if you are really a moron like you said you should easily be able to fool yourself into thinking that it is the newest system available
Old 11-30-01, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i thought the PS2 looked cool until i got it; then i realized, it looks kind of cheap/cheesy (my professional opinion ). ditto for the remote which i like functionally, but aethetically/ergonomically, its poor.

but i really wanted to play final fantasy/gran turismo so i got it anyway. i like NHL2002 and FIFA2002 also but i could play that on my pc.

if you really want a PS2, wait until the new version w/ the dvd upgrade, and maybe a price drop, comes out - next year???

btw, i think the x-box is ugly too! the gamecube (esp. in orange) is the best design, imho.

i think your "price is same" is goofy. i felt the same way when i first got the PS2 but then again, i've used it for a whole year and got to enjoy it! how much is that worth to you? $100? i think so.

halo? not me. i got metal gear solid 2, but i didn't even open it yet. i think i'd like Amped though.

Last edited by young; 11-30-01 at 08:38 PM.
Old 11-30-01, 08:34 PM

The ps2 being ugly has nothign to do with the system's qulaity. If you put a vertical or a horizontal stand on it it looks just as good if not better than teh Xbox.

Sony made a mistake by not dropping the price 50$, because i'm sure many other gamers out in the world had the same thought as you (why should i pay jsut as much as what people paid a year ago?)

I can't really argue with the harddrive or the "newest thing on the shelf" arguments.

If your'e urge is to play, then i would go with a PS2 just because it has a huge library and because of your exsisting PS library. No one is really sure how Microsoft will play in the console market. I feel like theyr'e the new sega (quicker to pull the plug if things get sluggish) And microsoft isn't exactly used to competition in its marketing strategies. But that could be a null point.

Don't underestimate the gamecube either.
Old 11-30-01, 08:37 PM

Sorry if this is a bit off topic (but it is related to PS2 design)..

What is the deal with the power switch being on the back of the thing? Are you expected to leave it on 24/7 or what?
Old 11-30-01, 08:51 PM

You are supposed to use the reset button. pressing it quickly resets. Pressing and holding it for one second turns the unit off.

I dont' understand the logic in it, but its never given me a problem.
Old 12-01-01, 01:08 AM
Mod Emeritus

Come on guys, be honest. If you're a sports nut, go with XBox. You get all the sports games as the other systems (except 989 but they suck bad anyway) plus you'll get MS's sports games which are exclusive (and not bad either, lots of people really dig Fever). Plus, the biggest reason to get it is unlimited saves thanks to the hard drive. I have no clue what porux is talking about 'inviting trouble' (PS2 is releasing a hard drive for their system in the future, you get it free with XBox) but it's a great addition to the console. PS2 has mind numbing loads that allow you to clean your entire house, go to work, paint your house, takeover a small country, all while the game loads. XBox has lightening quick loads. Plus the controller rocks if you have big hands like me. Very easy choice here.
Old 12-01-01, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by porieux
To me the hard drive is only inviting disaster.

I say go for a Dreamcast. $50 and it will knock your damn socks off.

Plus if you are really a moron like you said you should easily be able to fool yourself into thinking that it is the newest system available
I have to agree, you are also getting the games dirt cheap right now. The whole built in HD is nice, but if it handles like a pc HD, you might have crashes and the famous defrag and scandisc LOL . its MS after all but i have to admit the Xbox is very tempting after all
Old 12-02-01, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If sports are your primary concern the XBox is probally gonna be ahead of the rest with the hard drive. Olie, defrag and scandisk wont be an issue, its game saves not an OS like Windows. PS2s hard drive wont be fully utilized by developers cause they want to sell through to all PS2 owners not just the people that bought the HD peripheral. Same thing when broadband hits. Box sports fans are gonna be like pigs in sh**.

But no NBA games on either the box or cube til what? January? Sup with that?
Old 12-02-01, 01:29 AM

I would say go with the XBOX if it's for sports games. I have the PS2 and the XBOX. So far, I think the games run smoother and look better on the XBOX. For looks on the PS2, yes it's ugly but it is sure smaller and lighter than the XBOX. Size does matter! Smaller is better in this case.
Old 12-02-01, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Are my reasons for buying an XBox all wrong?

Originally posted by Trelach24
I checked all the stores near me in the MD/DC area. I saw one at Target yesterday but some dude got to it before I could.
EB GameWorld in Columbia had some a couple days ago - I've never seen them run out. It's on Dobbin Road. I'd call first, though. They'll make you do a bundle, though. System, 3 games, extra controller, I think. No service plan or anything.
Old 12-02-01, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

One important thing; a lot of people I know, especially people who play a lot of sports games, like to take their consoles over to friends' apartments, have a few beers, and play NBA Street, or 2K1, or whatever. The X-Box is not very portable at all. It is very large; the size of a VCR, and the included hard drive makes it much more fragile than any system has ever been. The PS2, and especially the gamecube, are much more portable. Also, Gamecube is only $199, and will get all the EA Sports games and the Sega Sports games.
Old 12-02-01, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Are my reasons for buying an XBox all wrong?

[i]But I'll be damned if I can find an XBox anywhere. I checked all the stores near me in the MD/DC area. I saw one at Target yesterday but some dude got to it before I could. [/B]
Up by Baltimore they have Xboxes everywhere. Whitemarsh also
Old 12-02-01, 01:43 PM

Originally posted by joltaddict
But no NBA games on either the box or cube til what? January? Sup with that?
Actually, NBA Live is already out on Xbox. But, perhaps you meant to write, '...no GOOD NBA games until January'.

Sega needs to get NBA 2k2 out for the other three systems; non-Dreamcast owners probably don't know what they're missing.
Old 12-02-01, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would have thought the PS2 would be the viable choice for sports games. The Playstation 1 was the top choice over the other systems if you liked sports games. The PS2 games get all the EA Sports, some 989 are okay, they have the Sega Sports games. Well, Xbox pretty much have the same except for 989 which instead you have the Microsoft made games, which I have not found any I liked yet. So it looks like it's okay either way, but Xbox with a slight advantage with graphic power and hard drive. But I chose PS2 for the non-sports games.
Old 12-02-01, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Speaking as a sports gamer who made the jump from a PS1 I went with the X-Box.

I spent a lot of time playing games on the PS2 and Dreamcast (Nintendo sux for sports IMHO) and the Sega Sports games seem to be the best. The 2K1 series beat EA hands down. When I found out that X-Box was getting the Sega games as well it made my choice easier. Plus who wants to drop money continuously on mem cards for saving the different seasons in multi-games? The hard drive rules!

For now I'll deal with Madden, NBA Live, and NHL 2002. When the 2K2 games come out I'll make the transisition. For launch games Fever is fun as well.

Plus, I don't know how old you are but if you're over 15 you will appreciate the controller that's made for larger hands.

Sports fans, go with the X-Box!