DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Trying to justify a PS2 purchase (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/162776-trying-justify-ps2-purchase.html)

squidget 11-30-01 01:12 PM

Trying to justify a PS2 purchase

hello, my name is sistasoulja, and i am a sega fanatic. See how buying a ps2 is difficult?
anyway there are two games that i really really want to play on the ps2: onimusha and ico. I played them at friends and told myself most have access to 24/7. But I can't justify dropping $300 for 2 games. anywhere i can get it cheaper, or are there more games that would be worth it? looking for oginality here (reason why I love sega, i admit im a fanboy, uh er girl)

Aghama 11-30-01 01:29 PM

If you have a Virgin Megastore near you and an American Express Blue card, you can get it for 30% off. Oh, and Devil May Cry is much better than Onimusha. :)

squidget 11-30-01 01:33 PM

no virgin megastore near me. (in dc) what makes devil may cry better? (havent played, nor head too much about it)

Aghama 11-30-01 01:36 PM

It just a lot more fun. The control is better and the battles more dynamic. Onimusha is ok, but it could have been much better.

ClarkKentKY 11-30-01 01:50 PM

It all depends on what type of games you like. What type of games DO you like? We might be abel to suggest better games that way.

chess 11-30-01 01:51 PM

<h2>Metal Gear Solid
Gran Turismo
Final Fantasy
Devil May Cry
Twisted Metal</h2>

any questions?

tsigo 11-30-01 01:59 PM

Devil May Cry - http://www.gamers.com/download/1035661 - just watch the movie, it's a great game (just don't be looking for a good story).

Grimfarrow 11-30-01 02:47 PM

Re: Trying to justify a PS2 purchase

Originally posted by sistasoulja
hello, my name is sistasoulja, and i am a sega fanatic. See how buying a ps2 is difficult?
anyway there are two games that i really really want to play on the ps2: onimusha and ico. I played them at friends and told myself most have access to 24/7. But I can't justify dropping $300 for 2 games. anywhere i can get it cheaper, or are there more games that would be worth it? looking for oginality here (reason why I love sega, i admit im a fanboy, uh er girl)

Hmmm...since you are looking for "originality", here are some recommendations of games that are different:

Frequency (received great ratings so far)
Rez
Fantavision (cheap now too!)
Gitaroo-man
Parappa the Rapper 2

There's also:

Grandia Xtreme
Seaman 2
Space Channel 5 II
Onimusha 2
Herdy Gerdy
Xenosaga
Jax and Daxter
Jade Cocoon 2
Zero

Centurion 11-30-01 05:17 PM

With a PS2, it's safe to say there's a multitude of games you can choose from. That is one guarantee I can give you. I just don't know how much longer the format will be supported; no one does.

mwestep 11-30-01 05:31 PM

Sony wouldn't drop the PS2 just because the GC and XBOX came out, even if they are more powerful systems. The PS2 has too wide of a userbase to lose, and companies want to cash in on that. The PS2 should last at LEAST another 3 years, maybe even 4. The Emotion Engine still hasn't been taken to full effect yet (at least I don't think it has...). I wholeheartedly reccomend the PS2. It has a multitude of AAA games. I also have a Cube, but I only have 1 game for it, Waverace. If the PS2 has the games you will enjoy, pick it up. MGS2, GTA3, GT3, DMC.....

Michael T Hudson 11-30-01 05:46 PM

I have all four systems and I agree the PS2 has some really good games out. I just got SSX tricky and it is a lot of fun.

Lethal Nemesis 11-30-01 06:16 PM

Here are some reasons why I bought a PS2:

Devil May Cry
Metal Gear Solid 2
Gran Turismo 3
Grand Theft Auto 3
Soul Reaver 2
Jak and Daxter
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
SSX
Silent Hill 2
Twisted Metal Black

Just to name a few. :D

belboz 11-30-01 06:31 PM

Originally posted by Centurion
With a PS2, it's safe to say there's a multitude of games you can choose from. That is one guarantee I can give you. I just don't know how much longer the format will be supported; no one does.
New games and accessories are still appearing for the PlayStation. Why? 80+ million installed units. The PS2 is well on its way to matching that figure at 20+ million units currently. It's a safe bet that the PS2 will be well supported for years to come.

Chris_D 11-30-01 08:55 PM

Since you've managed to hold off for 12 months already I'd be very tempted to try and hold out just a bit more and maybe get at least a $50 saving on the retail price. $300 for a ps2 is a bit of a rip off IMO.

Another possibility is to pick one up 2nd hand for cheap since a few people are probably selling theirs to pay for an xbox or gc.

Chris

kilcher 12-01-01 03:56 AM

For me the biggest factor in my decision to invest in a PS2 (other than my Atari 2600 this is the first non-Nintendo gaming system I've owned) was that the PS2 is compatible with PS1 games. I don't have any PS1 games and don't plan on buying any but this gives me hope that when PS3 comes out all of the games I've invested in now won't be junk. Plus I thought Sony should be rewarded for doing this and that maybe it would set an example for the other console manufacturers.

Just one tip - always rent before you buy. Some games are great, some suck bad.

The games I have are SSX, SSX Tricky, and Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3. Will probably buy MGS2 soon.

mkdevo 12-01-01 07:19 AM

Originally posted by kilcher
Just one tip - always rent before you buy. Some games are great, some suck bad.
...but at $6 a pop to rent from BBV, you have to be careful you don't rent something that sucks! :)

squidget 12-03-01 07:04 AM

thanks for the opinions guys. been out all weekend, sorry for the late response(s).
ClarkKentKY, I like fighting, puzzle and adventure games. i really dont get into racing games, nor fps (thats what my pc is for)

Chris_D, a 2nd hand ps2 is not a bad idea. I'll scour ebay, and the like and see what i can find.

chess, Final fantasy! i complete forgot about ffx. (played ffx @ e3 OMG so good)