DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Does EB have somthing against the X-Box? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/162079-does-eb-have-somthing-against-x-box.html)

dchad4123 11-28-01 08:26 AM

Does EB have somthing against the X-Box?

You know before the launch of these 2 great new systems I was surprise to hear several EB employees badmouthing the Xbox to no end. I pose this question to my fellow gamers out there. Why the attitude against this system. I heard this same attitude from 4 EBs in New England. Shame on them for not embracing all of these systems equally. Its about the games you freaks!!!!! Any comments?

DCHAD OUT

Shuki 11-28-01 08:37 AM

I think the xbox has been discriminated against from the start. Maybe I'll call the ADL and see if they can stand up for MS.....

and dchad, in your signature you forgot camel jockey. Doesn't 'Bin Lauden you turbin wearing, foul stenched, camel jocky! Your goin' down!' sound much better :D

Groucho 11-28-01 08:40 AM

The EB by my office here is practically a shrine to the Xbox. They are giving it more attention than any other console or even PC games.

Duran 11-28-01 08:58 AM

One of the reasons I used to like EB (worked for them for a brief time, even) is that the employees are encouraged to give their opinions on things.

dgc 11-28-01 09:05 AM

Originally posted by Duran
One of the reasons I used to like EB (worked for them for a brief time, even) is that the employees are encouraged to give their opinions on things.
...and many employees that work there are teens who have been spoon fed / raised on the nintendo farms.

That and the fact that so many people love to hate Microsoft may contibute to negative feedback from any of the employees from an electronic gaming retail store.

jfoobar 11-28-01 09:23 AM

Dunno about XBox, but EB seems to have something against PC games. I went to the new EB Games they just built near me and their selection of PC games was pathetic. Not to mention, they didn't have any of the newest titles either.

They literally had twice as much shelf space dedicated to used DVDs than they did to PC games. Never again.

Liquid Death 11-28-01 09:40 AM

That must vary by store - half the store on one side is PC Games at my EB - the used DVD section is, no joke, about a foot across (they're shelved spine out).

Duran 11-28-01 09:44 AM

Originally posted by JustinS
Dunno about XBox, but EB seems to have something against PC games. I went to the new EB Games they just built near me and their selection of PC games was pathetic. Not to mention, they didn't have any of the newest titles either.

They literally had twice as much shelf space dedicated to used DVDs than they did to PC games. Never again.

Depends on which one you go to. The new EB Gameworlds tend to be mostly console - the mall stores have more PC stuff.

mmeadows 11-28-01 11:25 AM

This reminds me of a quote that's been said many times.

"Opinions are like a-holes... everybody's got one."

Same goes for gaming store employees. It may be because the MS rep treated them like crap, Nintendo gave them more, or they just like Nintendo. You'll hear different stories from different EB's across the country.

IC_Freeze 11-28-01 11:54 AM

this is a miss on MS. They should be spending money to encourage game store employees to sell their xboxes, like give them prizes/rewards for selling x amount of systems.

darkside 11-28-01 03:14 PM

Every game store I visit has been told to promote the Xbox. I've heard more about the Xbox than any other system from employees who are oddly enough wearing Xbox buttons on their shirts.

gr8vette 11-29-01 05:48 AM

I have noticed the same thing... My local EB in No. VA keeps trying to push the GameCube... I have both an Xbox and a Cube, so I know when they are BSing...

They keep saying how great it is and how much better it is than Xbox... I personally think they are crazy:

Waverace - Same as N64
Rogue Squadron - Same as N64
Smash Brothers - Same as N64
Pikeman - Far to wierd for American Market
Zelda - Ummm... Cell Animation??? YUK!
Mario - Looks VERY simmilar to N64 (too early to tell)

I don't know what they are up to, but I stand my ground with the above statements... Anyone who can't see that the Xbox is clearly a better system, has another agenda...

darkside 11-29-01 06:23 AM

Originally posted by gr8vette

Waverace - Same as N64

I don't know what they are up to, but I stand my ground with the above statements... Anyone who can't see that the Xbox is clearly a better system, has another agenda...

None of those game are the same as the N64 versions, if you think that you haven't played them. They are based on the N64 versions but the graphics and sound are greatly enhanced and the gameplay is much better. Smash Brothers Melee may be one of the best fighting games ever.

Pikman to weird for the US market? You bash Nintendo for releasing sequels and then you complain about a completely new game that has gotten very good reviews.

Zelda using cell animation is again different. If it looked more like the N64 version you would probably complain.

Mario Sunshine and Metroid both look to have great potential, but it is too early to know more.

The Xbox a better system? If you like the available games for the Xbox then it is just as good of a system as the Gamecube. Anyone trying to argue the Xbox is better than the PS2 or Gamecube has an agenda of their own.

Basically, there is no bad system out right now. It just depends on the games you like, however, your opinions of the Gamecube lineup makes no sense at all. I thought Gotham Racing and NFL Fever were two of the worst games I've ever seen on any console, however, I don't hold two bad games against the system.

huh? 11-29-01 07:31 AM

I have noticed the same thing... My local EB in No. VA keeps trying to push the GameCube... I have both an Xbox and a Cube, so I know when they are BSing...

They keep saying how great it is and how much better it is than Xbox... I personally think they are crazy:

Waverace - Same as N64

So what you are saying is that you would rather a company that has successful franchises abandon them and try and re-invent the wheel every time they make a game..... hmm.... let me think....

{Extreme Sarcasm Doesn’t EA do that with their sports franchises, and Grand Theft Auto 3 is an original right?, and so is Metal Gear Solid 2 {/Extreme Sarcasm

you can go on and on.... you obviously have your own reasons for hating the fact that Nintendo continues to produce sequels to successful games, but that doesn't mean the games are exactly the same the second time around.... TRY PLAYING THEM FIRST AND OPENING YOUR MOUTH SECOND!!!!

that is all

Brian Shannon 11-29-01 07:52 AM

Originally posted by Duran
That is a good one considering some of the things I have heard in that store are blatantly false.

gr8vette 11-29-01 11:50 AM

Originally posted by darkside

None of those game are the same as the N64 versions, if you think that you haven't played them. They are based on the N64 versions but the graphics and sound are greatly enhanced and the gameplay is much better. Smash Brothers Melee may be one of the best fighting games ever.

Pikman to weird for the US market? You bash Nintendo for releasing sequels and then you complain about a completely new game that has gotten very good reviews.

I have both Wave Race and Star Wars. Yes, they have better graphics and sound. Gameplay has been enhanced SOMEWHAT. But other than that, they are the same games as the ones already available on the N64. They add NOTHING new, other than graphics and sound, to the games...

From what I have read, Smash brothers, suffers the same problem. (Now, I know that the original was a good game and that the Cube version is supposed to be a good game...) But they add nothing NEW!!!

I found myself growing VERY tired of both Wave Race and Star Wars waaaay to quickly... The pretty graphics got old really quick. There has to be something new or compelling there to hold my (and I assume most people's) attention.

Please don't assume that I am Cube bashing... I am NOT. I am just stating my opinion it... I think the same thing can be said about DOA3 for the Xbox.... It is the same game as the one I have on my Dreamcast only it has better graphics.

But, when I sit down in front of my game systems:

Atari 2800
Atari 5200
Intellivision
ColecoVision
Odysee
Vectrex
NES
SNES
Sega Master System
TurboGraphix
Genesis
Saturn
3DO
Jaguar
PS1
N64
Virtual Boy
Dreamcast
PS2
Xbox
GameCube

... It is the Xbox that I think is the best...

I have NO loyalty. For the most part, I get, and keep active, all game systems that are released. (I did not include my hand-helds and I am sure I forgot some of my consoles.)

Is there anyone out there that OWNES an Xbox AND a GameCube who thinks that the GameCube is better? Honestly?

I know that when all my friends and family come over, we end up playing the Xbox more than the GameCube...

On my comments about Pikeman and Zelda... I have not really looked into Pikeman too deeply, but it looks pretty silly. I have never seen anyone look at a screenshot and hear them say, "OH MAN, I CAN'T WAIT TO PLAY THAT!!!!" Really...

On Zelda... I LOVE Zelda and have played them all. The GameCube may break that trend for me... Cel Animation? I mean Link looks like his head is nothing more than a painted baloon! Give me a break!!! It would be like the next Matrix movie, or the next Star Wars movie being done by the same cartoonists who do Beavis and ButtHead!!!!

The game that gets the most play on my GameCube is Super Monkey Ball... and that is a Sega game!

You all have to admit that MS is being very agressive in making sure that there are cool, fun, innovative, games on the Xbox...

Halo and Oddworld come to mind...

Well... I am rambling at this point...

When good games come out for the Gamecube, I will get them...

When good games come out for the Xbox, I will get them...

When good games come out for the PS2, I will get them...

When comparing the Xbox to the GameCube, I say that the Xbox is CLEARLY the better system, with better games...

But, hey, its just my opinion.

Kellehair 11-29-01 12:09 PM

Wave Race Blue Storm is very different from the original. So much so in fact that some diehard fans of the N64 version are complaining.

Rogue Leader is just plain amazing. The amount of activity on screen puts the N64 version to shame. There are some stiking similarities between RL and RS, but I haven't heard anyone (until today) complain.

As for EB having something against X-Box, maybe that's just because they haven't seen anything all that impressive yet to get them excited.

gr8vette 11-29-01 12:57 PM

Originally posted by Kellehair
Wave Race Blue Storm is very different from the original. So much so in fact that some diehard fans of the N64 version are complaining.

Rogue Leader is just plain amazing. The amount of activity on screen puts the N64 version to shame. There are some stiking similarities between RL and RS, but I haven't heard anyone (until today) complain.

As for EB having something against X-Box, maybe that's just because they haven't seen anything all that impressive yet to get them excited.

Do you own an Xbox?

Have you played Halo all/most of the way through?

If so, I doubt you would be saying that RL is just plain amazing. It is a good game, with awesome graphics, especially if you have never played the original. But Halo is better in every category. (Granted they are different games and may appeal to different tastes...)

The gameplay in RL is very much the same as that of the N64 version...

Halo, while it is a FPS, adds alot to the FPS genre... The levels are HUGE, The enemy AI and Team AI is amazing, the use of vehicles is amazing, the story is great with a good twist half way in, the control is perfect for a console, the in game moves tie into the gameplay perfectly and seamlessly, enemy bodies - weapons- amunition - gun shots - etc all stay where they fall... No more disappearing, even after save/loads, etc...

The only reason I am "complaining" is just to show my disappointment with the GameCube (overall).

By itself... The GameCube is a great system...

But, next to the Xbox, it just is not that good at all, until it gets some better games...

Next to the PS2 and the current crop of GREAT games, I still think the Cube is inferior...

I think the Launch lineup was a big disappointment and shows that Nintendo had to rush to keep up... I think Nintendo made a mistake with their small format DVD's... This will show with the lessened amount of content, level size, etc...

Out of the 3 newest systems, I think the Xbox is easily the best... I think the PS2 has the best games right now, other than Halo and Oddworld on the Xbox... I think the GameCube is a good product, but will be in 3rd place as Xbox and Ps2 battle for 1st...

Time will tell...

huh? 11-29-01 01:14 PM

Do you own an Xbox?

Have you played Halo all/most of the way through?

If so, I doubt you would be saying that RL is just plain amazing.

i'm failing to see why the two are related? are you going to be complaining when the Xbox is old enough to have sequels? most of the games for that system are new, will you be upset when they build sequels to the good ones? please.... stop being an idiot

Thrillhouse 11-29-01 02:04 PM

EB up here has a hugh problem with XBOX. They always tell peole not to buy it, and to buy Gamecube. One guy said he wanted an XBOX, the employ told him not to buy it. He said it won't have any games. Then the guy asked him about Halo. This pissed me off sooo bad, he told him that Halo was a Metriod rip off. I don't know where he got his information, but when I played it it was nothing like Metriod!!!!

Kellehair 11-29-01 02:58 PM

"I think Nintendo made a mistake with their small format DVD's..."

Nintendo's small DVD idea was one of the best ideas ever. The reason they did it was to cut down on load times. I own 6 games and the load times for all except Madden are blazing fast. And it's not like the Gamecube discs don't hold any data. They still hold about 1.5 GB. Saying "This will show with the lessened amount of content, level size, etc..." is...unintelligent. Most PC games, even those packed full of movies, music, and everything else still come on 1 CD. The Playstation has hundreds of games that came on 1 CD and the N64 has hundreds of games that came on puny carts. Just because DVDs can hold more doesn't mean they will hold more. Games only need to be so big.

"The gameplay in RL is very much the same as that of the N64 version..."

It was great then and it's great now. What do you want them to do? Some crazy new control scheme wasn't going to make the game any better. In fact, it probably would have made the game worse. The RS/RL gameplay is great. There's no 2 ways about it.

Troy Stiffler 11-29-01 03:28 PM

I won't be buying an X-Box. And I've been playing Tony Hawk 3, Luigi's Mansion, Waverace, and Rogue Squadren at least 3 hours a day. That's more than I've ever played any system, excluding the release of a few rpg's (Zelda: A Link to the Past, and Breath of Fire)

Anywho, EB at the local mall was putting the X-Box down too. I think it's kind of cool that they get to express their opinion. I work at the movies and when a manager hears me say something really bad about a movie, they 'tell' me about it.

KnightLerxst 11-29-01 03:59 PM

My local EB gameworld has plenty of X-box stuff...nothing against it there.

Ok off topic. What is up with everyone? I still don't understand console/game bashing. I mean I picked up a Gamecube, I like it, I might eventually pick up an X-box. I have a DC and I have been playing UFC like a madman lately. What is the big deal if you like a system more than the other or not? It's like people have to justify there decision to buy a console.

I have yet to play Halo but I want to give it a shot, I have Rogue Leader and I think it is a great game. Why is everyone so uptight, is there something in the water?

Ok rant over.

huh? 11-29-01 07:00 PM

i'm not trying to start a system war here, it just irks me when someone says games that are part of a franchise are the same when clearly they are not.

i mean, seriously, when something is sucessfull what do you want them to do?

gr8vette 11-29-01 07:28 PM

>>i'm failing to see why the two are related?

My point is that I have both the Xbox and the GameCube and have played them both extensively. If anyone else have played BOTH systems, I don't see how they can say the Cube is a better system.

>>are you going to be complaining when the Xbox is old enough to have sequels?

I LOVE sequels to good games!! That is why I was looking forward to Sogue Squadron on the Gamecube! But I would argue that RS, WaveRace, and Smash Brothers are more Remakes than they are sequels... There is not enough new or innovative in those games... They play just like they did on the N64... Better graphics and sound does not a sequel make... =)

>>stop being an idiot

Oh boy... Here we go... Name calling. I am just giving an opinion from a person who has both systems and has been playing and ownes most of the systems since the days of the Atari 2800...

>>Nintendo's small DVD idea was one of the best ideas ever. The reason they did it was to cut down on load times.

No... The reason they did it is because they are very afraid of Piracy. Load times has NOTHING to do with it... From the time I turn on my Xbox, I am playing a saved game of Halo in UNDER 20 seconds... Hmm, and that from a full sized DVD...

>>and the N64 has hundreds of games that came on puny carts

Which is why the levels are so small and the textures are so bad in Rogue Sqadron on the N64. Same reason the levels are small in Golden Eye, and why the textures are so repetative in golden eye... The smaller DVD size WILL matter when it comes to the content on the games... Those CD games you speak of on the PS1 and PC are FULL of data!!! 640megs!!! And I bet you that the DVDs for the PS2 and Xbox will have MUCH more data than the 1.5gigs on the Cube.

>>Just because DVDs can hold more doesn't mean they will hold more.

Yes, you are correct. But... Many of the PS2 and Xbox games will hold more than 1.5 gigs!!!

>>Games only need to be so big.

And how big would that be? The Arcade game of Joust was 36K... Is that Big enough? How about the 64megs of the N64 cart? Is that big enough? If so, why doesn't the Cube just have the same cart slot?

One thing you CAN be sure of... The Cube will not have games of more than 1.5 gigs of data unless they use 2 DVD-Mini's...

>>It was great then and it's great now. (Talking about RS)

That is my point, it is the same game now as it was then!

>>What do you want them to do?

Don't know, I only play games and don't design them or make them... Some suggestions off the top of my head:

- Make the levels MUCH bigger!

- Add MULTI-PLAYER!!!! Any multi-player... Halo has like 20 different multi-lplayer modes

- Add the ability to save the game IN THE LEVEL!!! (Of coarse the levels are so small what is the point.)

- Have more than just 10 small levels. (That they made incredibly hard just to make the game seem longer...)

>>I won't be buying an X-Box. And I've been playing Tony Hawk 3, Luigi's Mansion, Waverace, and Rogue Squadren at least 3 hours a day. That's more than I've ever played any system

Like I said the Cube is a great system... If you don't have an Xbox. I have been playing Halo 3 hours a day since the 15th on normal difficulty... Just Halo... No it is not that it is that hard, but it is that it is that big and that compelling. I have been playing for 3 hours a day and have been progrssing through the game always moving to new areas...

Playing Rogue Squadron 3 hours a day means playing the same levels over and over and over until you can get by the incredible difficulty of them!!!

>>Why is everyone so uptight, is there something in the water?

Dunno... Don't think I am uptight... I have a GameCube and have an Xbox... Just trying to explain my view on why I think one is better than the other...

I wonder if people realize that one has to be better than the other? If not, they would be the same system and play the same games...

Another thought... Don't you think that they could do a Rogue Squadron game on the Xbox MUCH better than the GameCube??? The Xbox is OBVIOUSLY more powerful... Or does the Cube have hardware in it that allows it to play RS better than any other system?