DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   are "monster" cables a rip off??? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/162036-monster-cables-rip-off.html)

Shuki 11-28-01 12:24 AM

are "monster" cables a rip off???

Are Monster Cables a rip off or is there really a "double the price" difference in their cables?? I wouldn't know because I've yet to pay the price their asking for their products (I'm the cheapy that goes for the third party $9.99 deal :)) Does anyone have any insight as to whether they're worth the price or not?

cartman 11-28-01 12:26 AM

A few people swear by them, but I have never seen a difference between those and Radio Shack cables (or if you're talking about the video game versions, no difference there either).

Alyoshka 11-28-01 02:37 AM

I've personally never seen what is better from them. I'm sure that their quality is measurably better, but I don't think it's so visibly better unless you buy some really cheap cables.

RudeBoie 11-28-01 03:36 AM

I spent a ton of them for my HT, and while I'm sure their quality is good, their build quality was crap. My cables keep falling appart, and I have to manually restrip them and plug them back in.

Brian Shannon 11-28-01 07:33 AM

I am trying to purchase XBox cables.

Is anyone using their XBox with a DD setup? I have looked at the Monster Cable, the Microsoft and the other third party cables. Monster is the only one that appears to use a fiber optic which is reqired for the DD sound.

The Microsoft and the third party cables I have seen use rca for the audio.

Any insight? Thanks!

SmackDaddy 11-28-01 07:55 AM

Brian,

You need to get either the Advanced A/V pack(s-video) or the Hi-Def A/V pack (component video) to get the DD Optical out for DD sound. Both are only $19.99. They DO NOT come with the optical cable though.

As far as Monster cable quality, it's usually quite good. But not enough to justify the ridiculous price difference. There are other lower priced "high end" cables that are just as good. Although I'm sure audio/videophiles will argue it, it's just a waste of money for 90% of HT set-ups.

rabbit77 11-28-01 08:11 AM

I bought the Monster cables for the X-Box (S-video + the optical) at store cost and don't really see much difference in them. I don't think they're worth the high price they charge you for. The thing that they boast that makes them better is that all the wires are magnetically shielded which could possibly cut interference down. They also use gold-plated jacks, if that makes a difference I can't really tell, either.

I do like the cool green wiring, though. :)

Brian Shannon 11-28-01 08:19 AM

Originally posted by SmackDaddy
Brian,

You need to get either the Advanced A/V pack(s-video) or the Hi-Def A/V pack (component video) to get the DD Optical out for DD sound. Both are only $19.99. They DO NOT come with the optical cable though.

As far as Monster cable quality, it's usually quite good. But not enough to justify the ridiculous price difference. There are other lower priced "high end" cables that are just as good. Although I'm sure audio/videophiles will argue it, it's just a waste of money for 90% of HT set-ups.

Ok this is a start. It does not look to me like there is a connection for an optical cable on the HDTV pack. Is this correct? Also the HDTV pack from microsoft is a box with no terminations so I am guessing I provide my own? The Monster HDTV pack and optical cable indicate how they connect but I refuse to pay Best Buy MORE than list price for these cables.

http://www.xbox.com/system/High+Defi...talog=cat%2Dus

Is the optical connection at the top by the two for audio?

Ok answered my own question, there is an optical port on the adapter so all I need is a set of component cables and an optical cable.

http://www.xbox.com/cms/pdf/High_Def_AV_Pack_manual.pdf

Thanks!

Aghama 11-28-01 08:26 AM

Although I'm sure audio/videophiles will argue it, it's just a waste of money for 90% of HT set-ups.
Even audiophiles that spend hundreds of dollars on cable say Monster is crap.

Shuki 11-28-01 08:26 AM

I picked up this one http://www.xbox.com/system/Advanced+...talog=cat%2Dus for $15. But can someone please tell me why there are three gold plated outputs? Maybe two audio and an RCA video option to use instead of the S-video?? But I thought the box already came with standard RCA cables so why use this box for an RCA type of connection?

And since I have yet to see it (coming in the mail) it appears I still have to buy the S-video cable anyway!?!? what's up with that!

Duran 11-28-01 09:03 AM

Not sure, since the picture doesn't clearly show what they are for, but component video (better than s-video) uses three video cables. Your audio would have to be something else (optic, for example).

Aghama 11-28-01 09:16 AM

Originally posted by Shuki
I picked up this one http://www.xbox.com/system/Advanced+...talog=cat%2Dus for $15. But can someone please tell me why there are three gold plated outputs? Maybe two audio and an RCA video option to use instead of the S-video?? But I thought the box already came with standard RCA cables so why use this box for an RCA type of connection?
Probably to give you the option of using composite video with digital audio, as well as s-video with composite audio.

jfoobar 11-28-01 09:20 AM

IMHO, Monster makes a very good cable (for the most part). However, there is not a shred of difference between Monster and other quality brands (Kimber, Tributaries, etc.) that cost half as much.

Shuki 11-28-01 09:23 AM

so both composite audio and RCA audio would be interchangable jacks? And if it was/is composite video (three jacks if I understand correctly), shouldn't I still have two other audio jacks?

I sure hope I can come up with something to get this to work. It still looks like I will be buying more cables! Why call it an S-video cable if you still have to buy an S-video cable?!?! I have an S-video input and the regular RCA audio inputs on my TV. No receiver yet :( and I have absolutely no use for the optical connection.

Aghama 11-28-01 09:31 AM

Originally posted by Shuki
so both composite audio and RCA audio would be interchangable jacks? And if it was/is composite video (three jacks if I understand correctly), shouldn't I still have two other audio jacks?
Composite audio is the same as RCA audio. And you're getting composite video (1 RCA jack) confused with component video (3 RCA jacks).

But yes, it looks like you still have to buy an s-video cable. Notice the description says it has an s-video input.

Shuki 11-28-01 09:37 AM

dooooohhhhh!! Composite, component both start with "c-o-m-p" right, anyway... uh yeah.... anyway, still SUCKS that I have to go buy the s-video cable.

Guess that brings us back on topic, are the monster cable s-video cables a rip off...

Brian Shannon 11-28-01 09:39 AM

are the monster cable s-video cables a rip off
This is a very old and very heated topic for discussion. The only answers you get are likely to be very subjective.

IMHO, they are not a rip-off but there are alternatives out there.

SmackDaddy 11-28-01 10:48 AM

Originally posted by Brian Shannon

Ok answered my own question, there is an optical port on the adapter so all I need is a set of component cables and an optical cable.

http://www.xbox.com/cms/pdf/High_Def_AV_Pack_manual.pdf

Thanks!

Brian,

The Hi-Def A/V pack comes with everything but the optical cable. It comes with the breakout box (has all the connections) and a set of component video/audio cables. For $19 it's actually a great deal. I'm using it and it works great.

Brian Shannon 11-28-01 11:56 AM

Brian,

The Hi-Def A/V pack comes with everything but the optical cable. It comes with the breakout box (has all the connections) and a set of component video/audio cables. For $19 it's actually a great deal. I'm using it and it works great.

Ok so there is an optical on the box? That is what it looks like. Are you using an optical? Do any of the games take advantage of DD?

Thanks!

SmackDaddy 11-28-01 01:17 PM

Brian,

Yes, the optical out is on the "breakout" box. There are 3 outputs for compnent video, 2 for analog stereo sound and the optical out for DD/DTS sound. Just remember to go into your Xbox setup menus to enable DD/DTS output.

I only have Halo and DOA3, but both support DD 5.1. Halo, uses the center channel on a limited basis, when you play you'll know what I'm talking about.

I think future Xbox games will start to take full advantage of a 5.1 soundtrack. Halos is a good start.

Brian Shannon 11-28-01 02:16 PM

Thanks just for comparison I went out shopping. The Microsoft HDTV pack is $19.99. The least expensive optical cable I could find at Best Buy was 24.99.

Total $45.00

There are several third party products out but not for HDTV and not with optical cables.

Amazon has the Monster cable items on sale at the moment and I can get them combined for about $30.00 lower than Best Buy after tax and shipping.

I will wait for a bit a see what else surfaces, thanks!

Aghama 11-28-01 02:18 PM

Originally posted by Brian Shannon
The least expensive optical cable I could find at Best Buy was 24.99.
Total rip. You can get a 6' optical cable for $10 at Parts Express.

Brian Shannon 11-28-01 02:30 PM

Originally posted by Aghama

Total rip. You can get a 6' optical cable for $10 at Parts Express.

http://www.partsexpress.com/

I will check them out thanks!

Johnny Zhivago 11-28-01 03:46 PM

Yes

Yes they are.

AGuyNamedMike 11-28-01 04:48 PM

I use MC, but only because I can get them at cost. There is a visual/audible difference in copper cables, but only with very high end equipment.