DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Half Life on PS2, I am not having fun. :( (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/161982-half-life-ps2-i-am-not-having-fun.html)

Alvis 11-27-01 08:52 PM

Half Life on PS2, I am not having fun. :(

I've seen Half Life and all its expansion packs around for a while for PC so I rented the PS2 version. I'm playing it on normal, but damn, I can't even figure out how to get anywhere to get some good weapons and shoot some stuff up. Right now I've gotten into some pipe system under the Black Mesa facility. Things aren't moving very fast and this game stops to load a lot. I didn't really want a walk-through this early on, but I sure am glad I didn't buy this one. I haven't played many FPS games, but this one disappoints me in that it's taking too much for me to get into it.

quietsoul 11-27-01 09:11 PM

it takes some time before the game opens up. just give it some time -- i enjoyed the game just because it was completely different than other games like quake 2 and unreal tournament. it was an FPS, but the story was developed better and made you feel like you were really in a military facility -- not a generic "hell" map. i can't vouch for the PS2 version because i played it on the PC. at times, i cheated to get all the weapons, but the game is the best when you play through it without any cheats.

but, to each their own, if you don't like half-life, i'd recommend you give FPS games another shot -- return to castle wolfenstein on the PC is promising and i think the single player has a lot of action.

Gallant Pig 11-27-01 10:52 PM

When I got to the point your at, when I had Half Life on computer, I basically got tired of it and gave up. The only weapon I had was a lead pipe or whatever, because I could never find enough weapons. Totally turned me off of FPS for a long time. I get motion sickeness while playing, so the game really has to be worth it. Luckily Halo is the best FPS I've ever played. I can be completely stuck, with little weapsons, up against the toughest guys (Hunters) and I still somehow make it out alive. I just finished the Silent Cartographer level, wow that was cool!

Cardiff Giant11 11-27-01 11:03 PM

I bought it tonight and at first I was very disappointed. This is the first time I've played the game(I've got a Mac and the mac port got canned). I'm playing on normal but I should have chosen easy :) Anyhow, I'm getting further into it, and now I'm starting to like it. I've got a crowbar, pistol, and shotgun. The controls take some getting used to but I'm starting to dig it now. Lord knows if I'll keep it after I finish it, but at this point I don't regret buying it. Two complaints though, the sound is pretty bad at times. Sounds like it was sampled at a low rate(I bet if it was on a DVD rather than a CD they would have put better sound samples in the game) and in certain areas the graphics look kinda bad, however at other times they look great.

SmackDaddy 11-28-01 08:08 AM

You guys who gave up so easily are missing out. Once you get a gun (which is pretty soon after you get your crowbar, maybe 10-15 minutes after)the game picks up the pace and doesn't let up.

This hasn't been called the best FPS ever for nothing.

Shuki 11-28-01 08:15 AM

I downloaded the free half-life demo along with the demo of wickedgl and this game totally rocks!!! I will definitely get this one for Christmas :D or shortly thereafter. If you have not tried the wickedgl drivers (sorry, doesn't apply to the PS2 version) you don't know what you're missing!

Brian Shannon 11-28-01 08:17 AM

This is absolutely one of the best games I have ever played.

I don't know what the PS2 version is like but on the PC is is phenominal!

p1forest 11-28-01 11:06 AM

As several others have noted, the game starts a little slow, but picks up the pace a little into the game. There are puzzles that are more complicated that the standard "pull this lever, open the door" type, making you think; you also start running into more aliens, non-friendly soldiers and more. It's supposed to be more realistic. You're a scientist in this game; therefore, you're not going to start the game fully loaded with weapons and start running around blasting things (which will end up with you dying very quickly), you'd slowly accumulate weapons. The enemy AI, especially for the soldiers, is very good. They'll lay down suppressive fire while others try to flank you; they'll lob grenades to your position if you're behind crates; they'll look for cover, etc. I've played many FPS's, and this has got to be one of my favortites ever. BTW, this is for the PC version, I have no idea if the PS2 version is different.

mmconhea 11-28-01 12:12 PM

I played the PS2 version the other day. The graphics are nice, but the load times are not great. Half life isn't a big weapons game. You have to be patient and get into the story. Eventually you'll get the shotgun and machine-gun/grenade launcher and you'll have some nice enemies to try them on. Stick with it and you'll have an awesome time with this game.