Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Amped, Shaun Palmer, or Tricky?

Old 11-27-01, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Amped, Shaun Palmer, or Tricky?

What's better? I bought the first SSX and liked it, but once I beat it with one character I didn't feel like doing it again with another. So does Tricky have enough new material to garner a buy?

I played the Palmer demo on THPS3 and found it decent, but there wasn't enough of it for me to get the gist of it. It's gotten bad reviews, but I don't know anyone that has it to tell me about it.

And I don't know anyone that has Amped or played it. IGN's review is good, but they brought up the poor control as a major flaw then didn't factor it into the final score.

Any info will help. Thanks.
Old 11-27-01, 07:14 PM

A few fun facts from the PS2.IGN review of Palmer...

"I'm not having fun here. I'm not having fun at all."

"Given the presence of SSX Tricky on the racks right next to it, Shaun Palmer doesn't deserve a second look, or even a first. "

Gameplay: 2.0
Lasting Appeal: 2.0
Overall score: 3.0

Get Tricky, tricky, tricky. It's tough to rock a rhyme to rock a rhyme that's right on time, it's tricky.

Old 11-27-01, 08:03 PM
Mod Emeritus

There's also TransWorld coming out later, too. And if it's as good as their surfing game, it could definitely be worth checking out. Otherwise, I say rent and then decide.
Old 11-27-01, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Games, unlike, for example, movies, have very specific ways in which they can be quantitatively bad. IGN's reviews are pretty much spot on. If they say Palmer sucks, I trust them.

As far as Tricky goes, the new uber tricks add depth to the use of the boost meter, and the showoff mode is much more fleshed out than in the original SSX.

Also, two improvements have been made that make playing through with multiple characters a lot more palatable. First, you can restart a run without a load time. Second, you can restart a heat in the world circuit race. This makes playing through the game a lot less tedious.
Old 11-27-01, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the feedback. I'm getting an X-Box tomorrow, but it'll look like I'll be getting Halo instead of Amped. There has not been one bad thing to say about Tricky so far, so it's Tricky for me.

Thanks.
Old 11-27-01, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You know, I just picked up Amped tonight, because I was sick of Madden, so I returned it. Amped is pretty damn good, but I don't feel it's fair to compare SSX Tricky and Amped, because Amped is a bit more freestyle and freeride than Tricky. I'm loving Amped. Plus the feature of Ripping your own soundtrack for it sold me. I'm loving it all...
Old 11-28-01, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

One note about Tricky: I've admittedly only played the first 4 levels, but the 3 of those that are from the original are almost identical except for some shortcuts and minor course changes (ice here and there, shorter glass walls in Elysium Alps for the invalids that had trouble with the first one). Seeing as there are only 2 completely new levels, you may want to think twice about buying it.
Old 11-28-01, 10:19 AM
Banned

As far as Amped goes:

I'd recommend buying it, because the game is BEAUTIFUL. Not only that, there are a lot of challenges you need to complete, and you will NOT be putting the controller down. The other night I was up at 11:00 saying "I WILL get 175,000 points on Brighton 2 before I go to bed."

I was up till 1:00 when I finally got it, but I COULD have had it earlier if I would have just landed one more measley trick....so you could imagine my frustration.

Once I finally unlocked a new level, you guessed it: up till 2:00 am testing it out.

Multiplayer is both a drag and a blessing. If you're looking for 4 player action, split screen style: too bad. The game doesn't even support 2 player split screen. However, it is kinda cool by the same token because what you do instead is have like a real competition, with one player going at a time. This adds more excitement to the game actually, since you know exactly what you have to do in order to pull off a victory. Not only that, there are a ton of different mods you can throw into the game (such as Dash till you crash, which is my favorite.)

The only complaint people will have on this game are the controls. They do take a lot of getting used to, but I swear to you my friend, once you get the hang of them, there's no turning back.
Old 11-28-01, 11:04 AM

Another vote for Amped is it a once you pick it up you can't put it down game. You will always be going I can get that score/pull off that trick this time I know it. Or just one more run. Great looking and sound game lots of fun to play.
Old 11-28-01, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Aghama
One note about Tricky: I've admittedly only played the first 4 levels, but the 3 of those that are from the original are almost identical except for some shortcuts and minor course changes (ice here and there, shorter glass walls in Elysium Alps for the invalids that had trouble with the first one). Seeing as there are only 2 completely new levels, you may want to think twice about buying it.
I have to disagree with this. Every course that has been redone has some similarities, but has vastly changed since the original. I didn't recognize several of the levels as being the same except for a few points down each of the courses. They've added many shortcuts, and have altered the look, feel, and speed of all the courses. I can't get enough of it. New characters, new tricks, new courses, rivalries, behind the scenes featurettes all add new layers that the first one did not have. Of course, this is all IMO
Old 11-28-01, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Lampei

I have to disagree with this. Every course that has been redone has some similarities, but has vastly changed since the original. I didn't recognize several of the levels as being the same except for a few points down each of the courses. They've added many shortcuts, and have altered the look, feel, and speed of all the courses. I can't get enough of it. New characters, new tricks, new courses, rivalries, behind the scenes featurettes all add new layers that the first one did not have. Of course, this is all IMO
As I said, I've only played the first 3 levels in Tricky that are from the original, but besides graphical enhancements the main courses are almost identical. As IGN noted, the rivalries are mostly pointless since you're usually not in the middle of a pack, the Überticks are nice but I don't think they add a huge amount to the game, and there are only 2 new courses. Cereal-Killer said that he completely lost interest in the original after beating it with one character, and I don't think Tricky is different enough that he will get that much more play out of it, regardless of how much other people like it.

Last edited by Aghama; 11-28-01 at 12:50 PM.
Old 11-28-01, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It is really fair to say that Tricky has 3 new levels. The pipedream level totally new. You can't go wrong with this game. I traded in my old version for this one and, I feel I made a very good choice.
Old 11-28-01, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i think it depends on your style of play. i really really liked SSX but i, too, thought it was just a tad easy and after i finished maxing out each character, i put down. i sold it on ebay and bought SSX Tricky.

i think it is better and worth it. but, i think it made big jump towards tricks by sacrificing some of the freely roaming capabilities. i really enjoyed the freely roaming level... in fact, during the showoff levels, i am kind of annoyed by so many rails.

thats where i think Amped comes in. it looks like it would be just a beautiful ride down the mountain. i hope it comes out for other systems. i don't want to get the xbox just for that (and, yes, that is the only game right now that i want for the xbox - not halo).
Old 11-28-01, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

dark summit is due out soon too, right?