Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Anyone here think Bundles just suck!

Old 11-27-01, 02:17 PM
Cool New Member

Anyone here think Bundles just suck!

You know I have to say that I am really fed up with 2nd rate companies like EB and Gay B selling only Bundles of the Cube and the X-Box! You'll notice that most of the those chains still have plenty of em in stock because most of the Diehards are scraping them up at Circuit City or any number of chains! I think this concept of only selling bundles is absolutley wrong and that these companies should no how pissed some of us are. Its not a money thing! Hell after buying one of these great systems I'll have 4 or five games within 2 weeks but don't tell me I can't buy one system and one great game to start things off! If the systems had stronger launch lineups I could see this being less of a big deal but 50% of the launch games are already out for the PS2 already. If you don't already have one you should re-access your priorities. The bottom line is that these tweo systems where each launched with one...I REPEAT ONE....must have game! Halo on the X-box and Rogue Leader on the Cube!!! This is how it is...so shame on those greedy bastards for trying to make their own rules. I hope they suffer big time for what they have done. For now I will sit patiently until I fin my cube and X-box at a local Superstore. I hate the superstores as well but they are doing it right in my opinion. What do you game freaks think?

DCHAD Out
Old 11-27-01, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't like them and will not buy them.

I got my XBox the day after Thanksgiving at CC, unbundled and they had several.

Be patient!
Old 11-27-01, 02:21 PM
Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn't have a problem with it if we were talking about something like a Gamecube and Waverace for $220 or something. But if it's not saving me any money, bundles do suck.
Old 11-27-01, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i will not buy a bundle.

period.
Old 11-27-01, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

No bundles for me, either, unless they are all games that I would have bought anyway, and if there is some money saved, too.
Old 11-27-01, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just picked up a bundle but I got to choose the games I wanted. If the bundle includes what you want (or you can choose what you want) and they don't charge extra for it who cares?? I got the xbox, HALO, NBA Live 2K2 and the extra controller for $440. Didn't save anything but didn't loose anything either.

But I guess it would suck if you just wanted the system plus one game But in my case it worked out fine...
Old 11-27-01, 03:36 PM

Yes, unless they save money they are EVIL .

Some people have the money to spend $500 get everything thats released at launch but I prefer to get just a system, game, and controller and then see if I like the system or not. KBToys seemed to be the worst this year with their $50 overcharge for absolutely nothing!!! People shouldn't be forced to spend $400 to $500 when the MSRP of these systems are $200 and $300. It almost because a problem this year as we were worried about finding stores that did not offer bundles.
Old 11-27-01, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am fully anti bundle, and have never had to get one, but I will be buying an X-Box bundle from Virgin Megastore. Retail is $490, but with the 30% off using AMEX Blue, I get an X-Box, Halo, Dead or Alive 3 (actually any 2 games I want, but those are what I'll get), s-video calbes, an extra controller, and some other thing that I've forgotten for $343. Not too shabby.
Old 11-27-01, 04:21 PM

Circuit City DID have bundles on launch, and it was the only way you could get one(Xbox, that is).

I called several in my area on luanch and they all had them in stock. But, you had to get an extra controller, and Project Gotham and NFL Fever. Neither of those games was on my list of must haves, and you couldn't return them later for other games because the bundle was rung up as 1 item, return any part of it and the entire bundle must be returned!!

So , YES, I do hate bundles!!!

Luckily I got an Xbox at Kmart the next day.
Old 11-27-01, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As posted above KBtoys was the company that angered me the most. It's one thing to make you get a game and controller, but a $50 extra charge for nothing is BS. Electronics Boutique lost me as a customer last year with their bundles that forced a $50 warranty on you, but the KB bundle is even worse and I also refuse to shop there now.

Thankfully, Gamestop still sells their systems unbundled in the stores and of course there are the major retailers like Best Buy, Target, Wal-Mart, etc.

They way I handle it is to stop doing business with companies that try to cheat customers. I had no problems getting my Gamecube and Game Boy Advance at Target unbundled and now they get most of my game buying business. They made a lot more money from me by not bundling since I buy most of my games and accessories there.
Old 11-27-01, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I got my brother a bundled PS2 from KB Toy last year... it was $500 for the system and any 3 games on the wall. Which basically had a $50 guarantee fee attached to it, to secure that you would get one first. But I had called my brother and he said okay...

... so I pulled their 3 most expensive games $55-$60 each, to minimize the fee...

I will never buy a bundle for myself.

And as far as availability, I walked into Wal*Mart last Wednesday and asked when they might be getting a new shipment in... and they said they got some in a half and hour ago (4 CGs and 6 Xboxs). Picked up a GC. No hassle for me finding one. I guess my stars were aligned.
Old 11-27-01, 11:43 PM

I think EB is full of $hit. The manager told me today that MS is reqiring them to sell bundles until they (MS) instruct them no to. If that's the case, then why are other stores NOT selling the $500 bundle? Hell, for $500 i can buy both an Xbox and a GameCube....
Old 11-27-01, 11:55 PM
Mod Emeritus

Being a Devil's Advocate for a second, from what I understand, companies make very little money from selling the system, and make all their money on software and accessories. So I guess they are trying to make a few bucks. But I agree, I dislike them a lot, unless they offer a lower price than buying all the stuff seperately, then they're not too bad.
Old 11-28-01, 09:23 AM
Cool New Member

My biggest complaint with the whole thing is that your not saving a dime! Greedy bastards is all they are and I hope that their sales suffer big time! Most diehard gamers want both systems anyway! Bundling them makes just ties our hands and forces us to make a choice. Anyway I hope this doesn't continue. This country is about the Freedom to do almost anything and having these retailers do this is just like a good kick in the nuts!
Old 11-28-01, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I bought a GC bundle at EB, and it was at least moderately fair. GC, extra controller (my choice, first or third party), memory card, and any 3 games I wanted, which I could exchange if I felt like it. No price break, but it's not like they threw in any surcharges.
Old 11-28-01, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by mee2
I think EB is full of $hit. The manager told me today that MS is reqiring them to sell bundles until they (MS) instruct them no to. If that's the case, then why are other stores NOT selling the $500 bundle? Hell, for $500 i can buy both an Xbox and a GameCube....
They are liars, but EB lies about most things.

MS gives stores a kick back for selling bundles, but does not require any store to do it.
Old 11-28-01, 05:49 PM

MS gives stores a kick back for selling bundles, but does not require any store to do it.
What kind of proof is there on that? The "kickback" is that the bundled items have a higher margin, bar none. Do you really think that MS went to EB and said "please sell bundles and we'll give you more than the other stores are getting?" I hate to break it to you, but that did not happen. The reason that EB's, Babbages, Funco, et all got more systems is because they're specialty stores. Microsoft may have encouraged bundles because they knew they'd have limited units at launch, and because it might take a little bit off their red numbers, but they don't give more to a store that does.

If you can give me proof that shows me otherwise, then I'll listen.

----------

Also, if you buy a bundle at itemized prices on a credit card, and return the item new, the store does not have the right to refuse return. If they do, you can dispute the charge, and you'll either have the item for free, or you'll be getting a call telling you to go ahead and return the item. As for CC's practice of putting it as one item, I don't know how that would stand up. It would probably depend on your credit card company's standards.
Old 11-28-01, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by mmeadows

If you can give me proof that shows me otherwise, then I'll listen.

This was widely talked about before the launch. Again, Microsoft did not force anyone to bundle, but they did give more money to people that did. This was for presells only though and now there is no reason for anyone to bundle since the practice apparently ended with the launch.

http://www.fgnonline.com/xbox/news/19670.html

Here are quotes from another article

Microsoft spokesman James Bernard said the company is giving marketing dollars to retailers that sell specified pre-sale bundles, but he denied that unit allotments are also tied in and said such promotions will end once the console goes on sale at stores.

He said the required bundle package has to include one Microsoft game and two games by outside developers, and one peripheral device. Retailers that sell that bundle get to display a logo saying they are a certified Xbox merchant, in addition to the extra marketing support, he said.
BTW I never said EB got more consoles than everyone else by selling bundles, you must have made that one up yourself.
Old 11-29-01, 01:54 AM

Are you listening?
Old 11-29-01, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by mee2

They told me the same thing when I picked up Halo and Rouge Leader the weekend before. And then at Best Buy I heard a guy tell a customer the game cube will play dvd movies.
Old 11-29-01, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i don't think either company (MS or Nintendo) would force you to buy a bundle. not during a system competition like this. the bundles exist so that a store like EB can make money off the games and the controllers, because they make JACK off selling the consoles.

they just don't understand that if they gave you a price break, that they would be encouraging repeat business and both the comsumer and the store would win in the long run.... its not rocket science, its basic economics 101....
Old 11-29-01, 09:57 AM
Cool New Member

I did start his thread and it's not that I want to sink to preschool levels here.....but I think that EB has really turned into of bunch of **** MONKEYS!
Old 11-29-01, 11:13 AM

I usually always pre-order a new console so I know I will get one on launch day. I bought a Gamecube, but all the pre-orders in my arear were bundles only. I only wanted Rogue Leader, Luigi, and a memory card. No interest in an extra controller right now or a third game (X-mas list). So i went to Super K-mart at midnight. I was 24th in line and got one of the 100 Cubes they had received. To hell with bundles.

-Dean-
Old 12-05-01, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

After reading about the 30% sale at the Virgin Megastore and seeing that there happened to be a store in Orlando where I just happened to be going last weekend I was pretty excited about hopefully buying a next-gen console at a great price. Imagine my disappointment when I found out that they were only selling the Gamecube in a bundle only for the price of $329. Bummer. It still would have been a good deal I guess with the 30% off but definately not as good as 30% off of $199.

Man was I bummed. I had to settle on getting Metal Gear Solid 2 for around $37.00 so I guess that was OK.
Old 12-05-01, 04:27 PM

I normally won't buy one, but I picked up the special black Dreamcast Sports Pack with NBA2k and NFL2k awhile back, and loved it.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.