Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Dreamcast ... Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-01, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dreamcast ... Worth it?

The price on dreamcasts have finally come down, a lot. And i am finding it in my Cart, ready to checkout, and i think to myself... Is it worth it? It's not exactly an investment for the future. I already have a PS2... %0 bucks is great, i jsut need some help deciding if a dead console is really worth the 50 bucks, or if i should go take that 50 bucks and Buy a AAA game for PS2...

Any thoughts?
Old 11-21-01, 05:22 PM

Definitely worth it! The most kickass game library of any of the current generation of consoles.

Better racing games than you'll EVER get on your PS2 due to lack of analog triggers for gas and brakes on the PS2 controller. Once you've tried it you will not go back.

Virtua Tennis and Tennis 2k2. These alone would be worth buying the system for!

Emulation! Go to www.dcemulation.com and check out all the emulators available. New stuff coming out all the time, including an upcoming N64 emu.

Not a dead system in my opinion. As long as you are having fun with it, that's all that matters.
Old 11-21-01, 05:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes it is worth it. Do a search on dreamcast, and you'll find games that are recomended. Also check out the top sticky for DC bargain games.
Old 11-21-01, 05:39 PM
Registered

Go for it! Dreamcast is a ton of fun and you can pick up games DIRT cheap.

Dreamcast games I like:

Ogga Booga
Bomberman
Spiderman
Seaman
Jet Grind Radio
Crazy Taxi 2
Old 11-21-01, 05:40 PM

PS2's buttons are analog, so you were jsut a little bit in error there. I just have a hard time spending 50 bucks on it when i know there will be no more games (well not many at least) produced for it in the near future. (by the way, i'm pretty sure GT3 and Thunder for the PS2 would dominate dreamcast racers.. but thats jsut an opinion)

I already have spiderman for PSX and Crazy Taxi for PS2 ... So those aren't games i'd pick up for the DC...
Old 11-21-01, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Personally, I'm about to trade in my DC(before the price falls much more) and whatever games I have to put towards an X BOX....

For me, very few games on DC were really fun and to keep a system that's just collecting dust makes no sense to me....but that's just me.

I guess I'm not as loyal to game systems once they've run there course with me.
Old 11-21-01, 05:57 PM

Nice to hear the counterpoint.

Seems like All the hype DC gets are from HARDCORE gamers... which i dont' consider myself to be. LIke these people over on IGN spouting off about how "it's got a big library" ... yippie, so does PS2... "it's powerful" yeah so.. it was powerful before everything else came out ... "it's got great fighting games" ... Okay so did SNES do i need to buy it again?

I think the main thing that keeping me from hitting "SUBMIT ORDER" is that i know this thing comes from sega... Oh, how i hate sega.
Old 11-21-01, 06:05 PM

I don't understand why it matters whether or not new games are going to come out. The great games are already out! Isn't that better? Would you prefer if some of the games hadn't been released yet and you had to wait for them?

On a side note, do the PS2 controllers really have analog buttons? If so, I haven't been able to when I've played. I guess if they are there but not well implemented, the point is still as valid.
Old 11-21-01, 06:11 PM

Yeah, they're analog... You can really tell in Nascar Thunder, they made really good use of all the analog features. The four main buttons are, as well as the 2 joysticks... But i'm not sure about the D pad and shoulder buttons...
Old 11-21-01, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I am nowhere near "hardcore" I used to be back in the day but no longer.

That said the DC is well worth it.
Old 11-21-01, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I dunno, classic games like virtua tennis are for anyone but hardcore gamers. 4 people can jump on that and start hitting winners, and having a great time, without even reading the manual. Almost without doubt the best 4 player console game atm.

The DC has plenty of fun for everyone .

Chris
Old 11-21-01, 07:12 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Well wortth it!

Tennis2k2 is unreal ! so are games like Crazy Taxi 1 and 2 heaps of others

I got one 2 weeks ago and have like 50 games now and rising !
Old 11-21-01, 08:12 PM

Originally posted by ClarkKentKY
Nice to hear the counterpoint.

Seems like All the hype DC gets are from HARDCORE gamers... which i dont' consider myself to be. LIke these people over on IGN spouting off about how "it's got a big library" ... yippie, so does PS2... "it's powerful" yeah so.. it was powerful before everything else came out ... "it's got great fighting games" ... Okay so did SNES do i need to buy it again?

I think the main thing that keeping me from hitting "SUBMIT ORDER" is that i know this thing comes from sega... Oh, how i hate sega.
Well the DC does have a great library.
For example, when me and my friends are playing Smash Brothers on Gamecube, later on we could take a break from that game, and play on the DC. Its the multipler games that are worth keeping the DC for. We could go back and play Virtual Tennis, Marerl Vs Capcom1&2, etc. The thing is you are thinking about getting a system thats less inferior to the PS2. Infact you buy some games for the DC that are cheaper and better then the PS2 version. Like Craxi Taxi, RE:CV, etc. I never owned a Sega system before I brought the DC. I was skeptical about getting it at first, cause I always liked the games that were on Nintendo and Playstation. Not untill my friends started raving about Soul Calibur and Sonic, that I decided to pick up the DC. It may have been short lived, but the games that were produced, make it worth owning a DC.
Old 11-22-01, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I feel that the Dreamcast is a worthy purchase at $50, because it has some of the most original games out there- Samba De Amigo, Seaman, Jet Grind Radio, Shenmue- and it has some of the best games ever made in my opinion- Soul Calibur, Sega GT, Virtua Fighter 3, the best version of a Street Fighter Game made (Alpha 3)...

I just love the thing- dead or not. Soul Calibur still gets me all riled up to this day. Metropolis Street Racer is fantastic. The tennis games are SWEET, and then theres NFL2k2, which is the best football game ever made in my opinion...

It all comes down to justification of purchase. IF you feel that you can get a month or 3 or 6 of enjoyment out of a "dead" system and some fantastic games, then it's worth it.

That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
Old 11-22-01, 10:23 AM

The Dreamcast is definitely worth it.
Old 11-22-01, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think it's worth it IF you are the kind of person to mess with it a bit. There's a lot of fun hacker things you can do with a DC, like emulators and putting Linux on it, and pirating games -- but the library isn't going to be expanding unless you are going to hack your box.

If you're not going to be hacker or pirate, you'll have to ask yourself if there's any games you'd want to play on the Dreamcast that aren't available on whatever platform you've got. Otherwise, I wouldn't buy one.

Me? I plan on picking one up over the weekend, but I want to put an emulator on it, and run MAME, and have fun with it that way. The DC games are really just secondary.
Old 11-22-01, 12:34 PM

I agree with everyone else here, it is an incredible machine and even more incredible that in its short life span it was able to get so many high quality titles that are MUST PLAY! I got my DC for Skies of Arcadia and JGR. I would say go for it but keep in mind that games for it are getting harder to find. The only place in my town that has them is Best Buy and the slection is getting smaller and smaller to make room for the X-Box and GC. eBay is a nice place to look, I got Grandia 2 there for only $10 and it was practically new (even came with the music CD). The best part is that when you do find games they're usually less than $15!! VMU's(memory cards) are only $9 too, you won't be spending that much money so what do you have to lose.
Old 11-22-01, 12:40 PM

Interesting,im thinking about getting this also,

how hard do you think they will be to find,if not this weekend?will they be around to christmas.

happy T-day,

tommy
Old 11-22-01, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

GO FOR IT!!!
Old 11-22-01, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

$50 is a steal. BB will have NFL Blitz for $7 tommorrow as well.
Old 11-22-01, 10:30 PM

Well, I decided to go ahead and get the Dreamcast using the Circuit city deal. Sports bundle, 69.99
Old 11-23-01, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't think you'll ever regret that one...
Old 11-23-01, 12:47 AM

Originally posted by Shuki
I don't think you'll ever regret that one...
Well, that would be a first for a Sega purchase.

The way i figure its 20 bucks for Each game. 2 HIGHLY rated sports games, and 1 below average one (baseball) But hey i needed a baseball game anyway, no good ones out for PS2.
Old 11-23-01, 05:19 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by Original Desmond

I got one 2 weeks ago and illegally burned like 50 (CDR) games now and rising !
How in the hell do you play 50 games in two weeks, pop one in for 20 minutes and then pop in another? Just yanking your chain!
Old 11-23-01, 07:57 AM

well done-

dreamcast system.
foodball
basketball
baseball
virtua tannis
crazy taxi
resident evil
102 dalmations
xtra controler
vmu
vmu

thanks

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.