Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

What matters most to you in a game?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-01, 10:32 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What matters most to you in a game?

Ok when you read those reviews of games and they break it down like: Sound, Graphics, Control, Gameplay, etc. What matters most? For me it is control and gameplay. I dont care how great the graphics are, or how cool the sounds is, if I cant make the guy jump when I want him to jump I don't like the game. Gameplay is another factor. I want to have maximum re-playability kinda like movies. My favorite movies are the ones I watch over and over again and I'd like my fav games to be the same way. Graphics and sound arent too important as long as the control and gameplay are good.
Old 11-20-01, 10:37 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gameplay is number one. The only reason I play games is to have fun, otherwise I'm not wasting my time on it. Replay value is a plus too. If I'm going to spend $50 on a game, I want to get my moneys worth.

Control is second as a game can't be fun to play if it controls poorly. It's not fun dying because the control isn't responsive or the camera angles suck. Second, the control should be intuitive. You should be able to master the control in an hour tops. I don't want to have to dig out the instruction booklet to figure out how to do something.

Graphics and sound are just the icing on the cake. Without good gameplay and control, these mean nothing. With good game play and control, great graphics and sound just make the experience that much cooler.
Old 11-20-01, 10:50 PM

I agree with most everything that has been said - except for replayability. As long as the game is really good the first time through, I'm happy. For example, I really love adventure games like Grim Fandango, Sam & Max Hit the Road, Day of the Tentacle... But once I figure them out, that's pretty much it (unless I wait a couple years but even then I tend to remember stuff) I'm OK with that because those are some of the best games I've ever played.
Old 11-20-01, 10:58 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with you. Replayability isn't a deciding factor in whether a game is good or not. It's just a bonus. A truly great game is great the first time through, and has replay value. But games like MGS that are great the first time, but give you really no reason to play again are by no means worthless. (that's MGS1, I haven't played MGS2.)
Old 11-21-01, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Definitely gameplay. If the gameplay is solid and there is a good story I can forgive even a short game.

Panzer Dragoon Saga was a very short RPG that could be finished in 15 hours, however, its still one of the best games I have ever played on any system. The battle system has yet to be matched in any RPG and it had a very good story.

If I want replay value I usually pick up a sports title.
Old 11-21-01, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Gotta be control. Nothing will make me put down a game faster than poor control. I threw Castlevania 64 in the garbage because it's controls actually brought me to anger. I put down Devil May Cry for the same reason.

By contrast, I still play Jumpman on my PC, not for great graphics or sound, but great control and gameplay.
Old 11-21-01, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's already been emphasized above.....GAMEPLAY!
This should be the only reason for purchasing a game, but that's just my opinion.