Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Selling a console on Ebay this holiday season

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-01, 08:22 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Selling a console on Ebay this holiday season

Due to my own impatence, I now own two Gamecubes. With Christmas coming up, I figured I'd just sell it on Ebay. Any experienced sellers out there have any tips for maximizing my profits? When's the best time to sell, how should I arrange the auction, etc. I've never sold anything on Ebay before (just bought), so I thought I'd ask around first so that I don't end up selling the thing for less than I bought it.
Old 11-19-01, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have no idea....I'm not doing too well with ebay. It seem that right now the market for Game Cubes on ebay is very saturated. I'm not to sure if I'm allowed to post this her but take a look at my ebay listing. I think it looks hot....but no bidders.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1299460432

Anyone have ideas on how we both can sell these Gamecubes?
Old 11-19-01, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gamecubes are not selling well ANYWHERE. All stores in the Washington DC area still have PLENTY in stock...

Your best bet is to return the extra GameCube to the store where you purchased it...

No one will pay you more than the $199 for it...
Old 11-19-01, 09:24 AM

Originally posted by gr8vette
Gamecubes are not selling well ANYWHERE. All stores in the Washington DC area still have PLENTY in stock...

Your best bet is to return the extra GameCube to the store where you purchased it...

Thanks gr8vette! I'm really starting to consider that as a new option. Ugh what a lost!
Old 11-19-01, 09:36 AM

Indeed, right now there are plenty of Cubes still on the market, so I am also considering just returning my extra. However, this is not because they aren't selling well...it's because they are more plentiful than Xbox earlier this week or PS2 last year. One example: the Kmart where I picked up my cube had 10 in stock...2.5 times the number of launch PS2 and Xbox systems they had (4). If they had they same numbers as those systems, they would have sold out immediately.
Old 11-19-01, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by White Knight
I have no idea....I'm not doing too well with ebay
You just started the auction yesterday, give it some time!
Old 11-19-01, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The auctions that ended over the weekend the went for more than $200 just for the system. Same thing for those that ended this morning. But as people realize there won't be any shortage like the PS2 fiasco last year the selling price should fall. I'm thinking of getting one and I'm waiting for the prices to drop on ebay so I can get it for less than retail. I think by this weekend it will be selling for around $180 or less on ebay.
Old 11-19-01, 10:21 AM

The only way that I could maybe have a chance of selling this Gamecube would be after 'black friday'. Retailers have to sell out then ....causing more of a demand.

I'll have to wait it out I guess
Old 11-19-01, 10:43 AM
Retired

Actually the gamecubes sold great, there are just still a good bit in stock here and there because Nintendo had enough sense to launch with enough units to meet demand. GC is sold out everywhere around here as off yesterday afternoon and there were a good deal of systems here. 160 just between K-mart and Wal-mart.

It will be funny to see the ******* that bought several systems in hopes of selling them for a profit simply having to return them. Not directed at you Groucho as you didn't intentionally get an extra one to sale. I just hate people that buy stuff to sell for a profit instead of leaving it in the store for someone who really wants it.
Old 11-19-01, 01:04 PM

Actually places that sell them separately are selling out, if not sold out already. The 30 or so customers that didn't get their CG's at Target yesterday would gladly pay over $200 for one now.

White Knight: you may want to try separating the game from the system as packages don't seem to be selling, but lone systems are hot.
Old 11-19-01, 01:12 PM

Originally posted by mmconhea

White Knight: you may want to try separating the game from the system as packages don't seem to be selling, but lone systems are hot.
Hey mmconhea, thanks for the heads up! I'll remove the game.
Old 11-19-01, 03:32 PM

So Groucho, are you going to sell your gamecube or return it? I'm looking at ebay and it seems that most of them are closing at $250. I guess that could be a $50 profit...
Old 11-19-01, 03:44 PM

I think I'm going to play "wait and see." Right now, prices are so low that selling on ebay isn't worth the hassle. However, who knows what the situation will be like in a few weeks as Christmas approaches and they start disappearing from the shelves.
Old 11-19-01, 06:18 PM

There are still GC's and Xbox's on many shelves in Augusta, GA. There are more GC's but that is only because they actually made enough of their system unlike Sony and MS. Sony could not afford the losses they were taking on their system (like $150 per last year) ans MS is artificially raising their market share by making it seem like there are not going to be enough. Reports say that they are manufacturing 25,000+ units a day. Expect a glut of Xbox's by December 10th and Gamecube's to be at about the same level. If you don't have one of these wait, and you will be able to buy one at face value soon. If you are planning to sell one for a profit, do it quickly, or return it to the store for a refund.
Old 11-19-01, 06:30 PM

I sold an xbox on ebay last weekend, and I made 100 bucks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...ndexURL=0&rd=1

Here's a few tips that usually seem to work well for me...

1. If you don't have any positive feedback, consider using a friend's account who does. People become worried about brand new users, they are afraid of scams.

2. Set the buy it now price to a REASONABLE price, lower than everyone else's buy it now price if possible. This will sometimes get people who are looking for instant gratification to bite on your auction.

3. Avoid setting reserve prices. Bidders don't know what the reserve price is, so they become discouraged, and don't bid. It's no fun to bid on an item then find out at the end of the auction that the reserve price wasn't met. It wastes people's time. If you are worried that your item will sell for less than retail price, then simply set the opening bid price to the lowest you are willing to accept, I.E. the price you paid for it.

4. Be specfic on what kinds of payment you accept, and what the charges are for shipping.

5. Have the auction end in the evening or on weekends, that is the time when the most people are online.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Last edited by bbox; 11-19-01 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-19-01, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If you are selling a GC, X-Box or anything and its been awhile since you have used ebay, be sure NOT to use Paypal unless you feel like giving up a few bucks per transaction because they've recently changed to a fee based service when you receive payments. I just found this out a few days ago as I started auction off some old stuff I had. They charge 2.9% of the received payments by credit cards. I just want to get the word out because it caught me by surprise.
Old 11-19-01, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by bbox
I sold an xbox on ebay last weekend, and I made 100 bucks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...ndexURL=0&rd=1

Here's a few tips that usually seem to work well for me...

1. If you don't have any positive feedback, consider using a friend's account who does. People become worried about brand new users, they are afraid of scams.

2. Set the buy it now price to a REASONABLE price, lower than everyone else's buy it now price if possible. This will sometimes get people who are looking for instant gratification to bite on your auction.

3. Avoid setting reserve prices. Bidders don't know what the reserve price is, so they become discouraged, and don't bid. It's no fun to bid on an item then find out at the end of the auction that the reserve price wasn't met. It wastes people's time. If you are worried that your item will sell for less than retail price, then simply set the opening bid price to the lowest you are willing to accept, I.E. the price you paid for it.

4. Be specfic on what kinds of payment you accept, and what the charges are for shipping.

5. Have the auction end in the evening or on weekends, that is the time when the most people are online.

Good luck, hope this helps.
I buy and sell quite a lot on ebay and will never buy an expensive item from a low feedback seller. And I will only pay for it by credit card. It's not worth it taking a chance, especially when it's a new ebay account selling 10 gamecubes or x-boxes. And if you absolutely must have one this week it's cheaper to get it at a b&m.
Old 11-19-01, 08:19 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by teplitsa

I buy and sell quite a lot on ebay and will never buy an expensive item from a low feedback seller. And I will only pay for it by credit card. It's not worth it taking a chance, especially when it's a new ebay account selling 10 gamecubes or x-boxes. And if you absolutely must have one this week it's cheaper to get it at a b&m.
Ditto - With a zero feedback rating it will be hard to get buyers to bite, especially if your looking to break even or make a profit.

For new seller's I would not recommend trying to sell such a high priced item. Buy a few cheap items to build your pos. feedback then start selling low priced items like dvds.

Personally, when I buy an item over $75, I won't touch a seller unless they have a feedback > 20 with no negatives. Also, I'll only pay via paypal so I can dispute the charge if the item wasn't received or misrepresented.
Old 11-19-01, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by bbox
I used to think that but lately it seems alot of people are logging on during lunch at work. Late in the week during lunch has become a hot time. Weekend mornings are a no-no.
Old 11-19-01, 11:04 PM

Thanks bbox for the info! That's awesome, you made $100. What sucks is that I'm a new ebay user....yup have the "shades". Everyone has to start somewhere I'll have to work hard in building a positive name.
Old 11-20-01, 01:40 AM
Cool New Member

I have to agree with bmello. Weekday afternoons are a busy time on ebay. I sell quite often on ebay and I get 10 - 15% more on weekday afternoons. If you can't end an auction on a weekday then I suggest Sunday, early evening. Most people are home online because Monday is a work day and they have to wake up early.
Old 11-20-01, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by White Knight
Thanks bbox for the info! That's awesome, you made $100. What sucks is that I'm a new ebay user....yup have the "shades". Everyone has to start somewhere I'll have to work hard in building a positive name.
People are usually good about leaving feedback, it doesn't take long to get a few. Remember to always leave feedback, cause you're more likely to get some in return.

Last edited by bbox; 11-20-01 at 12:44 PM.
Old 11-20-01, 02:11 PM

Just be careful of the idiots...there are people emailing bidders on Xbox and Gamecube systems, saying they have them cheaper and will sell them outright. I've already had 2 such people, and one person try to renege on a win because of these idiots. eBay has started to become more of a pain in the last few months because there are more idiots using it, and more idiots feeling they need to police it (which, happens on this board a lot, specifically with dvd auctions...). Integrity has just gone out the window.
Old 11-20-01, 07:36 PM

I have a quick question. What is the best way, quality and price, to shipe an Xbox. I am going to have to have one sent out pretty soon and don't know what to use........UPS, USPS? Thanks
Old 11-20-01, 08:13 PM

Originally posted by jhiter24
I have a quick question. What is the best way, quality and price, to shipe an Xbox. I am going to have to have one sent out pretty soon and don't know what to use........UPS, USPS? Thanks
I say Fedex, because it includes insurance and they have to sign for it. And the price shouldn't be too high either.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.